Veggie noodles and fruit noodles are easy to make, but sometimes we don’t have spiralizers on hand and we want to avoid a mess. Instead, turn your favorite vegetables and fruits into delicious, healthy noodles with or without a spiralizer! I’ll show you how – it’s easy!
HOW TO MAKE FRUIT AND VEGGIE NOODLES
Next up in our how-to series —> How to make veggie noodles (and fruit noodles) – no spiralizer needed ya’ll!
What vegetables can replace pasta?
Almost everyone knows that zucchini noodles make a fantastic gluten free and low carb substitute for pasta, but there are SO many other options! You can use almost any hard or firm-fleshed vegetable to make veggie noodles, including:
- summer squash/yellow squash
- potatoes and sweet potatoes
- broccoli stems
- winter squash (butternut and acorn are the most popular)
- turnips or radishes
The list goes on, and you can spiralize fruit too! The fruit you select has to have hard flesh too. Good options include apples, pears, and rhubarb.
My point is, eating fruits and vegetables can be fun when you turn them into veggie noodles and fruit noodles!
What veggies can you use in a Spiralizer?
Because of the way a spiralizer works, there are some foods that won’t fit properly. This isn’t a problem, though. Fruit and veggie noodles are easy to make, even without a spiralizer!
Veggies that do work well in a spiralizer are the wide and long varieties with very hard flesh like squash and potatoes.
Kitchen tools for veggie noodles and fruit noodles
Let’s face it, sometimes using a tabletop spiralizer can get a bit messy. Don’t get my wrong, I ADORE my spiralizer for making the perfect zoodles in mass amounts, but the clean up part is not my favorite. And sometimes I just want to make a small about of veggie noodles or veggie noodle “shavings.” Instead, these kitchen tools will do the job just as well, and cleaning them is easy!
No spiralizer? No problem. Here are some other tools you can use to make veggie noodles.
- vegetable peeler
- paring knife
- small mandolin slicer
- dual julienne peeler & vegetable peeler
- hand spiralizer
Alright, now let me show you JUST how easy it is to make noodles from VEGETABLES and FRUIT.
Ready, set, Vegooodle! Or Fruitoodle? Haha. Whatever works!
10 vegetables that make great veggie noodles and how to prep them.
How to make veggie noodles with BROCCOLI STEMS
- Ingredients you need – Large Broccoli stalks with about 1-2 inch thickness
- Kitchen tools you need – Spiralizer, hand spiralizer, or vegetable peeler
- How to make noodles or spiralizer – You can use a stand spiralizer, hand spiralizer. Place large end of the broccoli stem in spiralizer or use hand spiralizer and turn to create noodles. Don’t have a spiralizer? Buy large broccoli stalks and peel into shavings with veggie peeler. Or create broccoli veggie rice (tutorial).
- How to cook broccoli veggie noodles – These are great to use in casseroles in place of pasta or in a pesto stir fry. Saute or steam!
How to make veggie noodles with SWEET POTATO –
- Ingredients you need – Medium sweet potato, peeled
- Kitchen tools you need – Spiralizer, Hand Spiralizer, or Julienne Peeler or Handheld Mandoline Slicer Adjustable Vegetable Cutter.
- How to make noodles or spiralizer – You can use a stand spiralizer, hand spiralizer. Slice the ends off of a peeled sweet potato. Place sliced end of the sweet potato in spiralizer or use hand spiralizer and turn to create noodles. Don’t have a spiralizer? Try using a julienne peeler or mandoline slicer to create sweet potato “noodle” strips or sticks.
- How to cook sweet potato veggie noodles – These are great to use in casseroles or in place of pasta! Bake the noodles first for 15 minutes at 350F to create an al dente pasta!
- Veggie Noodle Recipe Inspo – Sweet Potato Spaghetti Casserole
How to make veggie noodles with ASPARAGUS –
- Ingredients you need – Medium to large stemmed asparagus, peeled
- Kitchen tools you need – Vegetable peeler or Julienne Peeler
- How to make – You can use a vegetable peeler to create asparagus shavings in the form of noodles. They are so light and delicate that the shaving will fold and bend quite nicely! Spiralizer, hand spiralizer.
- How to cook asparagus shaving veggie noodles – These are great to use in casseroles or in place of pasta! Bake the noodles first for 15 minutes at 350F to create an al dente pasta!
- Veggie Noodle Recipe Inspo – Shaved asparagus goes great in this the farmers’ market cassoulet
How to make veggie noodles with ZUCCHINI/YELLOW SQUASH–
Ingredients you need – Veggie noodles from the seeds of larger zucchinis tend to not hold up as well during cooking and eating. A small to medium zucchini or summer squash work best.
Kitchen tools you can use – You can use a regular spiralizer, handheld spiralizer, a julienne peeler, or a mandolin to make zoodles or lasagna veggie noodles.
How to cook zucchini noodles or summer squash veggie noodles – Before you cook or if you are eating raw, salt the raw zucchini noodles then let them sit in a bowl to drain excess water. Drain water and press with towel to absorb water. These veggie noodles are great in salads, to replace pasta, or make lasagna veggie noodles. Sauté zucchini noodles over medium-high heat for three minutes until softened.
Zucchini Noodle Recipes Inspo – TONS. Zooooodles galore.
- Spicy Pesto Zoodles
- Tuna Zoodle Casserole and Chicken Zoodle Casserole
- Zucchini Noodle Pasta Salad
- Zucchini and Squash noodle Satay
How to make veggie noodles with CARROT and CUCUMBER –
- Ingredients you need – Medium to large carrot (top cut off). Medium cucumber (seedless works best).
- Kitchen tools you can use – Spiralizer, Vegetable peeler, or Julienne Peeler, Paring knife, or a Mandolin to make flat noodles with the the cucumber.
- How to make cucumber noodles – Adjust the julienne blade on a mandoline to the ⅛-inch-thick setting. Carefully run a cucumber down the blade, slicing the cucumber to form noodles. Also works well with julienne peeler to make the noodles or Mandolin to make flat lasagna-style veggie noodles. You may also use a regular spiralizer, but seedless cucumbers works best and are less of a mess. Best served raw in salads or veggie lasagna noodle roll ups.
- Cucumber Veggie Noodle Recipe Inspo – Asian Cucumber Noodle Salad
- How to cook carrot noodles – These noodles hold up similar to sweet potato noodles. Bake or sauté! Great to use in casseroles or in place of pasta! Bake the noodles first for 10 minutes at 350F to create an al dente pasta!
SPECIAL COOKING TIP –> With asparagus, carrots, or any other high-moisture vegetables you treat as a noodle, you may need to pat it dry before you sauté or season it.
OTHER vegetables that make delicious veggie noodles.
I would recommend using a spiralizer or simply slice with mandolin for these in particular.
ONION, CELERIAC, TURNIP, BEETS!
- VEGGIE NOODLE INSPO – Marinated celeriac carrot noodle salad
3 fruits that make great fruit noodles and how to prep them
APPLES and PEARS – Both apples and pears can go through a spiralizer or hand held spiralizer, but do make sure to remove the stems. For hand-held spiralizer, you will need to slice the apples or pears into wedges first in order to fit in the hand-held spiralizer.
- To make apple noodles without a spiralizer – you can use a vegetable peeler, but it is a little tough to get a lot of noodle with a hand-held peeler. I recommend using an Apple/Potato Peeler Corer. They work great! See, no need to waste the peel when making applesauce. Use thin-skinned apples (such as Gala or Golden Delicious) for handheld spiralizers.
- Fruit Noodle Recipe Inspo – Spiralized Apple Kimchi Salad
- Also great to give texture in baked desserts, like my paleo apple pie!
RHUBARB – Vegetable peeler to create rhubarb “noodles” shavings or julienne peeler. The key is to find thick stalk rhubarb. Shave from one end to other, similar to asparagus. Rhubarb shaving noodles bake fast, so they are great to make and use as a crispy topping. You could also use them in a hot fruit casserole.
- Fruit Noodle Recipe Inspo – Rhubarb chicken with crispy rhubarb noodle shavings.