This Warm Salad with Smoked Salmon and Goat cheese will satisfy your taste buds and nourish your body! A low carb greens salad with fish, packed full of healthy fats and protein. Simple, healthy, gluten free salad recipe that’s so delicious!
I’m thinking I may need to rename my blog to Cotter’s Cravings. Because, let’s face it, this week’s recipes are healthy indulgences that were all centered around my cravings. I do not lie folks. Potato bread (Mmmm carbs), Brown Butter Cookies (Savory sweet tooth), and now I’m craving a warm, greens salad with fish and healthy fats, which is why I used whipped goat cheese and smoked salmon.
Oh and olives and egg are included. I feel so fancy schmancy because it’s similar to a French Bistro salad, just warm greens and without the bacon. But the truth is, I made this Salmon Goat Cheese Warm Salad to “balance out” the rest of the week. And yes, it was a low carb high fat balance… errrr craving?
In fact, the Kiwi (aka my husband) and I both had a hankering (that is a word) for high fat nourishing meal. Now, you might be thinking…. “why the whole low carb high fat thing?”
Health Benefits of Warm Salad with Fish
You may be wondering how a low carb, warm greens salad with fish is so beneficial for ya. I’d say it’s very individualized, but for us, there’s a time and a place for this type of power salad meal.
You ready for some nerdy nutrition talk?
One word; no, two. Stress and Anxiety.
In times of high stress or anxiety, healthy fats do WONDERS!
- The natural salt replenishes minerals
- Goat cheese (if low lactose dairy is well tolerated) adds in more calcium (another mineral), not to mention good gut bacteria.
- Olives are also high in Vitamin E and Selenium. The cool thing about Vitamin E (an antioxidant) and Selenium (a trace mineral) is that they work synergistically to help body to fight oxidative stress. So ya, Olives are an awesome anti-inflammatory rich food.
- Salmon and Egg yolk are both high in Vitamin D, which is good for boosting your mood and calcium absorption.
When the body is stressed a lot of nutrients (especially minerals) are are more easily depleted. You see where I’m going with this, right? A simple low carb high fat warms greens salad turned into a MEGA POWER BOWL! This Salmon Goat Cheese Warm Greens Salad replenishes and restores, cravings and nutrients. Plus it’s like…. SUPER DUPER easy to make. It’s a No stress meal! haha.
Warm Salad Recipe Notes
To answer a few possible questions about this healthy, low carb salad recipe:
Can you saute salad greens?
You can, but the only thing you really need to do is steam the greens for this warm salad. Just toss winter greens, kale, or even arugula in a little olive oil and broth, place in a pan, cover, and voila! See, more healthy fats and mega nutrients. YEA BUDDY!
Ya’ll, this Salmon Goat Cheese Warm Salad POWER bowl is my go to lunch for the season. It feels nourishing and comforting to the soul. In times when I (we) feel overwhelmed, worn out, or stressed, I bust out this bowl of warm salad with fish.
I also make a bigger batch of the herbed whipped goat cheese, just in case I want to use it for other things. For example, maybe… like on Gluten Free Crostini. Those will be saved for parties and entertaining. Don’t worry, the whipped goat cheese also takes like 2 seconds to make too, and I’ll put that in the recipe. Whip it, Whip it good!
Enjoy this warm salad recipe. Oh, and if you make it, I’d love for you to share photos of it with me on Facebook and/or Instagram! Oh, and rate the recipe, pretty please!Print
Salmon Goat Cheese Warm Salad
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
This Warm Salad with Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese will satisfy your taste buds and nourish your body! A low carb greens salad with fish, packed full of healthy fats and protein. Whipped Goat cheese to top! Simple, gluten free, low carb, healthy, and so delicious!
For the Salads:
- 4 cups chopped leafy or winter greens (brussel sprouts shavings, kale, swiss chard, etc)
- 4 pieces (4 oz) sliced wild caught smoked salmon (this is replacing traditional bacon in a bistro salad)
- 1 tbsp chopped shallot or red onion
- 2 soft or hard boiled eggs
- ½ c to ¾ cup cherry tomatoes
- 6–8 marinated or seasoned green olives (⅓ cup)
- 2 lemon wedges (to squeeze juice on top)
- 1–2 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt/pepper to taste
- Red Wine Vinegar or Balsamic vinegar/ oil (for dressing)
- Sprouts for Garnishing (optional)
- Dried Fig (sliced, optional)
- Optional Roasted almonds or Marcona almonds (to sprinkle on top)
For the Whipped Herbed Goat Cheese:
- 4 oz goat cheese
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried herbs or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (I used chive but basil works well too)
- dash of sea salt and pepper
- ⅛ tsp garlic or onion salt. Or ½ tsp fresh minced garlic
- this will serve 4 people You will have extra after the salads are made.
- Lightly steam your greens with the onion. Place in small pot with 1 teaspoon olive oil, sea salt/pepper, and a 2 teaspoon of water or broth. Steam on medium heat until wilted. About 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from stove.
For the Whipped Goat Cheese
- Place goat cheese in food processor along with the oil. Blend. Add in your herbs and the rest of your ingredients. Pulse blend again until whipped. Add more oil if you want it creamy. This will make 4-5 servings.
- Divide ingredients into 2 bowls, equally. I like to section them out into different sides of the bowl.
- Steamed greens, tomatoes, egg, salmon, optional nuts, 2 tablespoon whipped goat cheese, and sliced fig.
- Drizzle balsamic or red wine vinegar and 1 teaspoon olive oil over each.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Or use garlic salt if desired.
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice on each bowl (optional)
- If you don’t like goat cheese, feta will also work well!
- Nutrition of dressings can vary.
- Adding poached egg versus hard boiled makes the warm salad more rich and delicious. If you are not wanting to meal prep the salad, the poached egg is wonderful.
- I order my smoked salmon from Sizzlefish.com
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: main, dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 598.1mg
- Fat: 19.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1g
- Carbohydrates: 8.4g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 137.6mg
Keywords: warm salad, greens salad with fish, gluten free salads, low carb salads, smoked salmon salad
This warming dish also makes for great brunch salad. Just in case you want to add more savory and low carb items to your menu. Hey, everyone has their dietary preferences. We don’t judge. Just keep it real food and serve with love.
Speaking of real. Things just got REAL in the Cotter household. We are moving. To another state. In one month. And we have no place to live yet. And it was just finalized 3 days ago.
Cue the stress and anxiety!!!! EEEEEK! More to come. After I flip and eat all the smoked salmon and goat cheese.
P.S Don’t worry, it’s a good change. But change is always a bit scary, right?
Anyone want to find us a house in Salt Lake City?
What’s your POWER bowl of choice? Ever made your own whipped goat cheese? Warms greens salad, yay or nay?
Cheers to Crazy Cotter’s new adventures!
Made half of this tonight just for myself. So many flavors, super delicious! Can’t wait for leftovers for lunch tomorrow:)
totally! it makes the best leftovers. YAY!
Low Carb High Fat Success
Looks delicious just by looking at the pictures. And its low carb too!
I can’t wait to try your Warm Greens Salad with Smoked Salmon and Goat cheese recipe.
Jorge [email protected] energizer supplement
Trying to cut carbs??? Try out the exclusive and highly energetic a hgh energizer supplement and make the easier way out.
Kristy from Southern In Law
Figs… olives…. almonds… goat cheese… you have got ALL the goods in this salad 😉
right? It’s heaven on a plate!
YUM! this looks so up my alley!! and congrats on the big change and move friend!! I am so happy for you! Even if i wish it was Boston hehe
totally made me think of you! I sure do miss you. Come visit? Bring Rose!
I love hflc everything!! Mmmm gimme all the fats. This looks like a really awesome salad 🙂
yes!!! i sure will
dixya @food, pleasure, and health
i need this salad in my life! im so excited for you guys!!!
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
I love everything about this. We need an anti-stress salad right now big time. Oy. And yay for Sizzlefish – I love them so hard. I don’t think Evie will tolerate smokes salmon, but I’ll eat hers and make some bacon for my picky “kid.” Hee hee.
Good luck with the move! We’re champion movers. Let me know if you need help… I wish we were closer. I still need the backstory on this. Funny enough – a good friend from SD (who helped us move; he has giant muscles) is moving to AUS at the end of the month.
AHh, i just want to move to NZ for good though. Can we do that instead?
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
Brother… you know I’m all in.
I think this salad looks amazing and I love that you make extra whipped goat cheese. That’s never a bad thing to have on hand.
Hooray for healthy fats.
i like to whip it… whip it good. THere’s my song for the day. Inspired by your post.
I see Salmon, I see France…. I see GiGi goinginto your fridge and wolfing down all the salmon…
PS: To respond to your last response on my other comment – LEFT OVER SALMON = DOES NOT EXIST LOL! I went to my aunt and uncles house in NYC last weekend and… They HEARD that I love salmon, so they got a 5 pound fillet for 5 people and I ate 3 of the pounds, LMFAO!!
OMG we need to hang out more. Salmon EAT FEST! You beast you!
WHEN THE HECK are you making your way to CALIFORNIA!
I”ve been 2x this year! Just need to go to LA> LOL!
BA HA HA HA!OF COURSE you have. Well, 2017 will bring you to Los Angeles…. And then we will get our salmon on. Who knows, I mighttttttttt have to just make the trip to you though, for ALL THE BRISKET! I was there in Feb and I left with the meat sweats LOL!
I swear, you read my mind. I have been craving smoked salmon recently, so I added it to my grocery list last night. We’ll be having it for dinner in the coming week, and now I want it in the form of THIS salad. Beautiful photos, too!
Have a great weekend, Lindsay!
told you we were related.
Susie @ SuzLyfe
Smoked salmon and olives and shallots, oh my!
Sending hugs and packing vibes. LOVE YOU
thanks friend. <3