Power veggie bowls feature fresh salmon with raspberry balsamic glaze. This paleo salad recipe is packed with flavor, good fats, and amazing antioxidants! Zucchini, thyme, seasonal greens, grilled salmon, and raspberries make one POWERful and delicious combo.
Wait a minute. Summer? Here? Already? You betcha! Sheesh the days are flying by. One minute we’re talking all things pumpkin and then before we know it, berries and watermelon shoved it’s way right in and into our brains. Hey, can you blame them? They are so tasty.
This summer looks way different for us. It kinda stings too. My husband is not racing triathlon, just coaching. Oh the reality. Le sigh…
That’s okay. We’re transitioning on towards new things. But that does not mean we don’t need proper fuel. In fact, this summer is a great way to ONE up our nutrition. Like really really one up! All those years of hard training can leave a lot of oxidative damage for the body, might as well remedy that while we have the time and resources. Ya know?
Which leads me to the all mighty POWER VEGGIE BOWLS! You know we love our POWER BOWLS, although this power bowls recipe is a little different. For one, it’s not breakfast based. But it does involve good fats and even some wild seasonal fruit!
Let me dissect this a little further for you. Let’s get down to the nitty gritty of why you need FATTEN up that power bowl or salad.
But first –> What’s in the Salmon Power Veggie Bowls?
- Grilled wild Alaskan salmon (Gimme those good OMEGAS)
- avocado oil (less oxidation that regular plant based oil i.e canola)
- raspberries (fiber, potassium, and Vitamin C)
- sautéed summer squash and zucchini
- thyme (seasonal herbs)
- a little bit of parmesan (more calcium)
- Balsamic glaze/vinegar
- Local Greens (vitamin K and plant based Iron)
Paleo Salmon Salad Power Bowls. Healthy, Easy, Delicious!
- 4-oz ounce grilled or baked salmon
- 3-4 cup seasonal greens
- 1/2 cup slices zucchini and squash
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- dash of sea salt
- dash of pepper
- 2 thyme sprigs
- parmesan crumbles (optional, not paleo though)
- lemon juice
- First, slice your zucchini and squash, sauté in skillet with 1/2 tbsp oil and a little bit of pepper/salt. Also make sure your salmon is already cooked. I cook mine in 1 tbsp oil, lemon, pepper and salt for 10 minutes at 400F or so.
- Once the the zucchini and salmon and cooked, go ahead and build your bowl. Greens first, then veggies, and salmon. Drizzle in your balsamic glaze, thyme sprigs leaves, and the rest of your oil. Toss all together and place in bowl.
- Add your raspberries last with a touch of lemon juice on top.
- Sprinkle with parmesan if desired
Now about that fat.. the good fat. I mean the Salmon, Olive oil, Avocado, etc fat. Ya, that kind. Well, it can actually increase the amount of beneficial antioxidants (think green veggies, peppers, fruit, etc) your body absorbs.
“Fat slows down the digestion process, which gives the plant compounds in the same meal a better chance of being absorbed,” source.
Fat also helps fat-soluble antioxidants absorb in the small intestines. That means they are passed through the blood stream quicks and can fight those oxidative stressors (see –> POWER). YA buddy! It’s all about how food works together to be absorbed.
Now you know why I call this salad a POWER VEGGIES BOWL. Foods that work together to get your more bang for your nutritional buck. Not to mention a POWERFUL delicious and satisfying taste. Ya, I’m pretty passionate about these bowls if you couldn’t tell. Haha!
What’s your go to summer salad? Do share!