Have your cake and eat it, too with these Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Pancakes! Made with refined sugar-free and gluten-free ingredients such as eggs, yogurt, banana, and carrots. Fluffy and delicious, they’re a dessert-inspired breakfast that’s so delicious you’d never guess it’s actually good for you, too! Dairy-Free Option.
Carrot Cake Pancakes? Yep! Let Us Explain
Carrot cake pancakes are exactly what they sound like! We took the classic dessert and turned it into fluffy, gluten-free pancakes you can enjoy any time of day – completely guilt-free! Using real-food ingredients, we replicated the sweet flavor and moist texture of traditional carrot cake and incorporated it into an easy pancake batter. The end result? A quick, easy breakfast you’ll look forward to digging into!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Dessert for breakfast? What’s not to love?! As if that wasn’t good enough, these carrot cake pancakes are:
- Made with whole food ingredients for a nutritious recipe that’s perfectly sweet without the need for any refined sugar.
- Created in a blender and cooked in minutes.
- Great to make ahead of time for quick breakfasts throughout the week.
- Easy to customize with all your favorite add-ins and toppings.
Recipes don’t get any simpler than these carrot cake pancakes! Here’s the short and sweet list of what you’ll need:
- Eggs – These provide structure to the batter, helping it become fluffy and hold its shape. We haven’t tested this recipe with any egg substitutes, but please let us know how it goes if you do!
- Carrots – These are shredded so finely that you won’t even realize they’re there, but they’re crucial to creating the carrot cake flavor we’re looking for. Plus, they’re a great source of nutrients and fiber. Healthy pancakes for the win!
- Banana – Used to sweeten the batter without the need for sugar and helps keep the pancakes soft and moist.
- Yogurt – We use plain or vanilla Greek yogurt, but coconut yogurt can be substituted if you need this recipe to be dairy-free.
- Tapioca Starch or Gluten-Free Oat Flour– This forms the base of the batter, helping the pancakes keep their shape. If preferred, gluten-free oats can be ground into oat flour and used in its place
- Cinnamon – Just a dash helps provide extra depth to the flavor and enhances the natural sweetness of the batter.
- Baking Powder – Make sure it’s fresh so your pancakes turn out fluffy!
- Salt – It might sound strange, but it’s crucial to enhance the rest of the ingredients.
- Vanilla Extract – For the best results, use high-quality pure vanilla extract. Trust us. It’s worth the splurge!
Health Benefits of Carrots
Not only are they easy to hide in recipes like our superfood Instant Pot oatmeal, carrot cake muffins, and these carrot cake pancakes, but carrots are also loaded with nutrients, too! For example, they’re particularly rich in beta-carotene, vitamin K, potassium, and fiber. (Source) As a result, they can help:
- Protect and maintain your eye health
- Boost your immunity
- Decrease the risk of heart disease
- Protect brain health
How to Make Carrot Cake Pancakes
These carrot cake pancakes are the easiest pancakes you’ll ever make! Here’s what to do:
- Blend the Wet Ingredients with the Carrot and Banana. Add the eggs, carrot, banana, and yogurt to a high-speed blender, and blend on high until the ingredients are well combined and creamy.
- Blend the Dry Ingredients. Add the starch, baking powder, spices, and vanilla, and blend again until the batter has a smoothie-like consistency.
- Chill. Place the batter in the fridge to chill and set.
- Cook. Heat coconut oil or butter on a non-stick skillet or griddle, and spoon ⅓ cup of batter onto the pan. Cook until the edges are brown or the center begins to bubble and flip it over.
Pro-Tip: Use a pancake spatula for easy flipping!
- Repeat. Continue to cook until the pancake is completely set and golden brown on both sides. Transfer the pancake to a plate, and repeat the process until all of the batter has been used.
Topping Ideas and Mix-Ins
You can definitely serve these carrot cake pancakes on their own, and they’re super delicious. However, we can never resist a good mix-in! For instance, some of our favorites include dark chocolate chips, chopped nuts, dried fruit, and unsweetened shredded coconut flakes.
Then, we finish our pancakes off with all the best toppings such as:
- Maple syrup
- Peanut butter, almond butter, or sunflower butter
- Cream cheese
- Whipped cream or coconut whip
- Fresh fruit
How to Store and Reheat
We love to add these gluten-free carrot cake pancakes to our batch cooking lineup! Store them in the fridge or freezer, and reheat them in minutes for an easy breakfast or quick snack on the go. Follow the tips below to keep them fresh.
- Refrigerator: Let your pancakes cool completely. Then, transfer them to an airtight container or sealable bag, and store them in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freezer: Place the pancakes in a freezer-safe container, wrapping them individually with parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together. Store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: When you’re ready to eat, just add your pancakes (thawed or frozen) to a plate, and heat them for 30-60 seconds in the microwave. Or, place them in the toaster or in a skillet on the stove!
More of Our Favorite
Gluten-Free Pancake Recipes
Looking for more easy pancake recipes? We’ve got you covered with great gluten-free options below!
Do you have questions, feedback, or tips about this recipe? Leave a comment below with any questions or feedback you’d like to share!