Bourbon Chocolate Pumpkin Pie is a deliciously decadent dessert, but this version is made healthier. It’s the BEST pumpkin pie recipe because it’s a crustless pumpkin pie that’s EASY to make with simple real food ingredients! It’s a gluten free, dairy free, and paleo-friendly holiday dessert that everyone will love!
Plus, you can make this pumpkin pie 2 ways. More on that below. Mmm k?
November goals –> don’t freak out about Holiday countdown. Raise your hand if you can relate?
That seems to be a trending topic come November, and it all revolves around food and gifts and family. Which is suppose to be a blessing, yes? So.. what if we could stop overthinking, overplanning, and create a stress free SIMPLIFIED Holiday season and menu?
My friends, you can… WE CAN! Which is why I’m taking one of my most favorite (and simple) Thanksgiving dessert recipes and tweaking it just a bit to bring you something NEW!
This bourbon chocolate pumpkin pie is a fun spin on my popular recipe for Impossibly easy Paleo Sweet Potato Pie. You remember that one, don’t you? If not, add that one to your Thanksgiving menu and thank me later. Haha.
Now, hang with me here as I walk you through some simple tips and nutrition tips about this recipe. Trust me, you’ll want to know in case any of your relatives ask How this holiday PIE tastes sinfully delicious yet is actually healthy…healthier for you. Sneaky sneaky.
How do you make a crustless pumpkin pie?
All you need to make this dairy free, crustless pumpkin pie are a few simple ingredients:
- pumpkin puree
- coconut oil
- dark chocolate
- maple syrup, and
- tapioca flour
But wait, Cotter. You just said this is a dairy free pumpkin pie. What about the eggs??
What food group are eggs in?
Not everyone understands this, but eggs are not dairy products. I get it.. it can be confusing to some people, because eggs are usually sold in the grocery store with dairy products.
The definition is pretty straight forward, though. The definition of dairy includes foods produced from the milk of mammals (cows, sheep, goats, etc.)
So see? This really IS a dairy free bourbon chocolate pumpkin pie, and a delicious and easy one at that.
OK, so education aside. Let’s get on with the pie baking, shall we?
You’re about to enter the stress free baking zone!
Bourbon Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Recipe Variations
There are actually 2 ways to make the chocolate bourbon pumpkin pie recipe.
- Melt the dark chocolate with the bourbon and then swirl it in the pie. Or…
- Mix it right in to make the pumpkin pie extra rich!
Either way, it’s a crustless pumpkin pie, so it’s gluten free and paleo friendly (see recipe card notes).Plus it’s got dark chocolate and bourbon in it, so it’s the perfect holiday pie. Add a bit of holiday cheer and you’re good to go!
Not a fan of bourbon? No problem! You can leave it out, or replace it with 1-2 tsp almond or rum extract.
Or….. make one of my other paleo and vegan holiday desserts instead:Print
This Bourbon Chocolate Pumpkin Pie is the BEST pumpkin pie recipe – it’s a crustless pumpkin pie that’s EASY to make! Gluten free, dairy free and paleo!
- 15 oz canned pumpkin purée
- 1 1/4 cup almond or coconut milk (almond milk will cook faster)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp refined melted coconut oil or clarified butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 ounce bourbon (substitute 1 to 2 tsp almond extract for non alcoholic version)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of arrowroot or tapioca flour.
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice – optional
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 ounce dark chocolate baking bar (I love this brand)
- crushed nuts – optional.
- EXTRA TOPPINGS – coconut whip, cocoa powder, maple syrup, or extra melted dark chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a pie pan or cake tin with parchment paper.
- Next combine your milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, bourbon, and butter in a mixing bowl. Add your pumpkin puree and mix with hand mixer or stand mixer on medium until smooth.
- Transfer into a bowl.
- In another small bowl, sift your coconut flour and then combine with your tapioca flour, spices, salt, baking powder. Mix together.
- Mix your dry batter with your blended egg/pumpkin batter. Stir together until smooth.
- Place chocolate in microwave safe bowl. Heat it on medium high for about 45 seconds to start with. Remove from the microwave and stir. Repeat heating in smaller intervals, 15 to 20 seconds, stirring in between, until the dark chocolate is completely melted. You can also do this on the stove top on medium to medium high. Just make sure chocolate has smooth consistency for end result.
- Two options here to add the chocolate. Fold chocolate into pumpkin batter OR our pumpkin batter into the prepared pie pan and then swirl your chocolate on top.
- Sprinkle a handful of crushed nuts on top. optional
- Bake for 50 minutes, cover will foil, then bake for 15 -20 minutes more. The edges will be crispy brown.
- Check the middle to make sure it’s no longer liquid. (see notes for more baking times)
- Remove from oven. If you are not serving this right away, place pie in the refrigerator to set more. It will still be custard like in the middle.
- Add Optional toppings
- For paleo version, omit bourbon or use almond extract in its place.
- You may also melt the dark chocolate with the bourbon and then swirl it in the pie.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin pie, paleo pie, crustless pie, chocolate, chocolate pumpkin pie, dessert
Crustless pie. It’s easier. It’s healthier. OMG it’s so flipping delicious! So there you have it. We’re officially ready for Holiday season. Pie’s done!
What’s your plan to simplify your holiday meny or holiday season?
Do tell! But please, oh please… don’t stress about it. And if anything, eat dessert first.