Chocolate Bourbon Pumpkin Pie is a deliciously decadent dessert, but this version is made healthier. It’s the BEST pumpkin pie recipe because it’s a crustless pumpkin pie that’s EASY to make with simple real food ingredients! It’s a gluten free, dairy free holiday dessert that everyone will love!
Chocolate Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
Chances are, you’ve probably had pumpkin pie before, but have you ever had a chocolate bourbon pumpkin pie? And a crustless one at that? If not, you should definitely add it to your must-make list right away!
Incredibly decadent and perfect for the holiday season, this crustless bourbon pumpkin pie recipe has all the soft texture and pumpkin flavor of a classic recipe with a boost of extra deliciousness thanks to warm spices, dark chocolate, and you guessed it, a splash of bourbon. There’s even an alcohol-free version so all your guests can enjoy.
It’s the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dessert table alongside coffee pecan pie bars and dark chocolate salted caramel vegan brownies! However, it’s so addicting, you’ll probably find yourself making it well beyond the holidays.
What’s In a Gluten-Free Bourbon Pumpkin Pie?
Unlike other pies, this recipe uses gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free ingredients for a more allergy-friendly option that’s still full of sweet, decadent flavor!
- Canned Pumpkin Purée – Make sure you use pure pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling which has added sugar and spices. Homemade pumpkin purée can also be substituted. Just be sure to measure carefully!
- Coconut Milk – This is used in place of heavy cream. For a creamier filling, substitute canned coconut milk instead. A creamy, non-dairy milk such as cashew milk or almond milk can be substituted, but the pie filling won’t be quite as creamy.
- Maple Syrup – We use this as a natural sweetener, omitting the need for granulated sugar or brown sugar!
- Large Eggs – These are crucial to helping the pie hold its shape, especially without a crust. They also create a rich, velvety custard-like filling!
- Gluten-Free Bourbon – For an alcohol-free option, replace the bourbon with almond extract instead.
- Naturally Refined Avocado Oil – Coconut oil may be substituted.
- Vanilla Extract – Two teaspoon vanilla extract help enhance the flavor of the rest of the ingredients.
- Coconut Flour – This adds structure to the filling, helping it hold its shape. We don’t recommend substituting different gluten-free flours as the texture won’t be the same!
- Arrowroot Starch – Used to thicken the filling and provide structure. Tapioca Flour also works!
Note: When combined, coconut flour and arrowroot starch create a self-rising crust without an actual crust!
- Baking Powder – Make sure it’s fresh!
- Spices – A teaspoon ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, cloves, and salt help add extra depth and warmth, balancing out the sweetness of the pie. Feel free to experiment with different spices like a teaspoon ground ginger, a teaspoon ground cloves, or pumpkin pie spice to suit your flavor preferences.
- Dark Chocolate Baking Bar – Use a high-quality chocolate baking bar. Regular chocolate candy bars or chocolate chips won’t work in this recipe!
- Toppings – Technically optional yet highly recommended, we love to top our pie with coconut whipped cream, melted dark chocolate or chocolate shavings, and crushed nuts!
Bourbon Pumpkin Pie – Made Crustless!
Without the need to prepare pie dough for a pie crust, this recipe comes together with ease, requiring minimal prep time and a quick cook time so you can get in and out of the kitchen fast!
- Prepare. Before you begin, preheat your oven, and grease a pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk the pumpkin purée, milk, maple syrup, eggs, bourbon, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Pro-Tip: Make sure your wet ingredients are at room temperature before you begin. Otherwise, your chocolate is likely to harden when being swirled into the pie!
- Mix the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, sift the coconut flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, and spices together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Stir the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients just until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate. Place the chocolate bar in a microwave-safe bowl, and melt it in the microwave in 15 to 20-second intervals, stirring in between.
- Add the melted chocolate to the pie. Either fold the melted chocolate into the pumpkin pie batter, or pour the batter into the prepared pie pan, and swirl the melted chocolate on top for a more marbled effect.
- Bake. Transfer the pie to the oven uncovered. Once it is almost baked, cover it with foil, and continue to bake until the edges are light brown and the center of the pie barely moves when gently shaken.
- Cool. Allow the chocolate bourbon pumpkin pie to cool. Then, serve warm. Or, store it in the fridge for a firmer filling, and enjoy cold.
Common Questions About This Chocolate Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Overbaking or baking at too high of a temperature are the most common causes for pumpkin pie fillings to crack. They’re essentially a custard, meaning they’re very delicate. So, keep a close eye on your pie as it bakes, and consider using an oven thermometer to ensure your oven is heating properly! Cracks can also happen due to the chocolate swirls. It doesn’t mean you did anything wrong!
When stored covered in the fridge, this recipe will stay fresh for up to four days.
Yes! This pie can be stored covered with plastic wrap and aluminum foil in the freezer for up to two months! Just let it thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
Feel free to enjoy leftover pie cold or at room temperature or warm it just slightly in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
More of Our Favorite