This gluten free pie crust is SO easy to make! The recipe uses just 3 simple ingredients, for a sweet or savory crust. There’s a dairy free option, too!
Gluten free kitchen hacks
Okay, so I really don’t like the word “hack”. But, I’m going to use it anyway because the only other word I can think of to use is shortcuts. Which is, in a way, the same thing.
I love to create shortcuts that can save time. Especially during the holidays, when we’re stressed and need a sanity saver.
My favorite kitchen shortcuts are ways to use basic ingredients to make unique recipes.
That simple hack saves a lot of time, and of course, it’s a money saver, too. But my new favorite ingredient hack is using gluten free bread to make pie dough.
I think you’ll be as excited about this recipe as I am, especially because it’s SO easy to make and resourceful! And take a look at the gorgeous pies (sweet and savory) you can make with it!
3 Ingredient Gluten Free Pie Crust
There really isn’t much to say about the ingredients here, because there are just three of them. BUT, in true Cotter fashion, I have dairy-free (no butter) substitutes for you.
Ingredient Notes + Substitutions
- Gluten free bread – Now, some brands and types of bread work better than others.
I don’t recommend using vegan bread at all, and no sprouted bread that has to be kept frozen. They tend to create more of a mealy dough.
I tried two different vegan breads and the texture just isn’t right. The best bread to use is one that’s soft, white, and gluten free.
- Butter – If you’ve ever had traditional pie crust, you know that butter is the key to deliciousness! If you need a dairy free or vegan substitute, refined coconut oil works well. You could also try plant-based butter but some brands don’t bake as well as others.
- Sugar – If you plan to use the crust for a dessert, you may want to sweeten it with a pinch of sugar or sugar substitute
To make this spiffy (ohhh, i love that word) pie crust recipe, all you do is:
- Cut up the gluten free bread into cubes. I use a half a loaf of gluten free white bread.
- Place the bread in a food processor and give it a whirl to grind up the bread.
- Blend in your whisked egg.
- Add in the butter or coconut oil (softened, not liquid) and blend again until you have pie dough!
It’s like the simplest recipe EVER!
NOTE: If the crust dough seems really dry and isn’t coming together well, you can add a tiny bit of liquid. Water, juice, or apple cider vinegar all work well. pie crust recipe video
Video: How to make a 3-ingredient pie crust
Here’s a super quick video, just so you can watch how easy the crust comes together.
Uses for this recipe
As I mentioned earlier, you can use this crust to make sweet or savory pies. Here are a few ideas:
- Mediterranean Quiche
- Chicken Curry Pot Pies (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- Gluten Free Fruit Hand Pies
- Gluten Free Honey Baked Ham and Potato Empanadas
- Best Quiche EVER
I can’t wait for you to try this recipe!
TELL ME… Have you ever made a pie crust from scratch that was THIS easy?
Do you think you think you’ll try this one out for your holiday menu?
This is now my go to gluten free dough for baking. Yep, there is no looking back.
A gluten free pie crust recipe that doesn’t require skill or time. Plus you can make a few batches and then freeze it. Which is what I do… and it is totally genius if you ask me.
Especially during the busiest time of all – the HOLIDAY SEASON!
Let me know if you have any questions or need substitutes; I’m happy to help!
This recipe post was originally published on December 12, 2016. The recipe was retested, and content and images were updated on November 5, 2020.