Super Simple Chocolate Banana Quinoa Microwave Mug Cake! A delicious gluten Free and dairy Free effortless One Minute Mug Cake that will leave you feeling nourished and energized! A great snack, breakfast, or dessert! Made with real food, real fast.
You know you’re an old blogger when trendy blog recipes from 8 years ago make their way back. ACK! I’m old. I mean blog years old. But truth be told I’m so okay with the recipe trends thing because some of them are so simple and SO SO DELISH! For instance, the MUG CAKE. Protein MUG CAKE. Oatmeal Mug cake. You get my point. Microwave MUG Cake/bake amazingness!
Back in the day, when the Kiwi and I were traveling for races and training camps, microwave Mug Cakes were my JAM! I used make a ton of protein microwave muffins and even chia muffins! Yes, I knew about chia back then too. Haha, but I digress.
My point being, microwave mug cakes are making a comeback, but in an UPGRADED form. High fives ya’ll!
What do I mean by upgrade? I mean ingredient upgrade. Like …. you can cram a lot of nourishment in that mug. Coffee mug and mug (mouth) —> Pun intended.
Let’s chat about these fantastic microwave mug ingredients and then I’ll show you how to make one! mmmm k?
Oh and I should note, one of the best things about this recipe is that you can basically use up all those odds and ends leftover ingredients! Resourceful, healthy, easy = PERFECTION. Okay I may be bias.
What’s in that MUG (cake)?
- Tri Colored Quinoa Medley – Ahh yes, the plant based “pseudo grain.” Quinoa is a gluten free false grain because it has a different botanical origins than cereal grains. It’s also one of the only vegetarian foods that contains a complete protein (all the essential amino acids). This is why it has a good about of protein per serving. YEA! I talk more about pseudo grains in this pasta post (warning -> OLD picture alert, yikes! .
- Chia – Cha Cha Cha Chia! We all the that it’s amazing. They provide a significant amounts of protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Banana – Potassium booster and a decent amount of vitamin B6.
- Cocoa Powder – naturally unsweetened and rich in antioxidants. Plus cocoa powder can help create healthy gut microbes . Really, which why I used it in my Reese bites! Bite of good Gut health. Right?
- Egg – Protein, Healthy fats, Choline –> which is so important for liver function, brain health, energy, and more!
- Protein Powder or Superfood Supplement – I actually used Better Body Foods Liv Fit Superfood! It’s pack with fruits, vegetables, vegan protein, digestive enzymes, and more.
See, I wasn’t kidding about the upgrade! SUPER POWERED MUG CAKE. I should have just titled it that.
So that’s how we’ve been enjoying our microwave mug cakes lately. The chocolate sauce is optional but I am for certain that the act of drizzling it on top (of the quinoa mug cake) is therapeutic. Which calms us and therefore makes us more healthy. That’s my justification and I’m sticking to it.
Ready .. set… mix, press start (on the microwave), flip, drizzle, and dig in!
Okay so the inside might be as pretty as the outside, but it’s delish and we so loved that the nutty texture.
Those of you who have made a microwave mug cake before, what do you put in it? Have you ever tried making a mug cake with chia or quinoa? Time to experiment. Haha, have fun!
Want to see a picture of an OLD mug cake recipe? hehe –> Check out this chia cake recipe from 4 years ago. LOL!.
This tasty mug cake recipe creation is sponsored by my friends over at Better Body Foods! Thank you for allowing me to share their wonderful products and talk about this caring company.
What recipe trend do you think is going to make a comeback next? Let’s keep the mug cakes around though, k?