Slow cooker mashed potatoes that are vegan, thanks to a white bean puree that’s used to make them creamy without the use of butter!
- 2.5–3lbs red and/or gold potatoes peeled
- 1/2 cups broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper
- 1 shallot sliced
- fresh herbs such as thyme, basil, etc. 1-2 sprigs or a 2-3 basil or sage leaves (extra to fold in after if you’d like, or to garnish)
- Extra oil if needed or 2-4 tbsp Coconut or almond milk to thin out.
- 1/2 tsp sea Salt or garlic salt and pepper or to taste after cooked
For the White Bean Sage Puree:
- 15 oz can of organic cannelloni organic beans drained rinsed (or cooked white beans)
- 1/8 cup oil
- 1/4 cup broth
- 3 sage leaves stem removed
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Wash and peel your potatoes. Place in slow cooker.
- Next make your white bean puree. Place beans, oil, broth, sage leaves (stems removed), oil, 2 small garlic cloves (peeled), salt, pepper, and oil in blender or food processor.
- Blend until creamy. Taste and see if it’s to your liking. Add more salt/pepper/seasoning again if desired. Set aside.
- Next add 1/2 cups broth, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 tsp garlic minced, 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper, and 1 shallot sliced to your potatoes in the slow cooker. Mix all together.
- Now pour your white bean puree on top of the potatoes in the slow cooker/crock pot with a couple pieces of herbs/sage on top. Chop any extra herbs and/or sage into pieces. Set aside.
- Cover and cook high for 4 hrs., stirring half way
- Be sure to remove stems from herbs if you placed any on top of cooked potatoes. You can do this half way or at the end of cooking.
- After potatoes have softened enough, mash first with masher in the crock pot. Then take an Immersion Blender and Blend in slow cooker until smooth. See notes if you don’t have an emersion blender.
- If potatoes are too thick, add more oil or 2-4 tbsp of coconut milk or almond milk to thin out.
- Last Fold in herbs (as little or as much as desired).
- 1/2 tsp sea Salt or garlic salt and pepper or to taste.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can continue to mash with masher, or place cooked mashed potatoes in a blender. Add a little broth or milk (2-4 tbsp) and blend until creamy. Immersion Blender work best though.
- Category: side dish
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 272.4mg
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 41.7g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: slow cooker mashed potatoes, vegan mashed potatoes, white bean mashed potatoes, vegan side dish recipes