Perfect for holiday meals and family dinners, these Slow Cooker Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes are so rich and creamy your guests will never believe they’re made with vegan ingredients!
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds gold potatoes, peeled (about 5-6 medium potatoes)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shallot or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs of fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary + extra for garnish
For the White Bean Sage Puree:
- 1 15 ounce can of organic Cannellini organic beans, drained and rinsed (Northern White Beans may be substituted).
- 4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 sage leaves, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 small garlic cloves)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Wash and peel the potatoes. Place them in the slow cooker.
Make the white bean puree by placing the beans, oil, broth, sage leaves (stems removed), oil, 2 small garlic cloves (peeled), salt, pepper, and oil in a blender or food processor.
Blend the ingredients until a creamy texture is formed. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
Add the broth, milk, garlic, sea salt, pepper, and shallot to the potatoes in the slow cooker. Mix all of the ingredients together.
Pour the white bean puree on top of the potatoes, and place a few sprigs of herbs on top. Chop any remaining herbs into small pieces, and set them aside.
Cover and cook the mixture for 3 hours on high or 5 hours on the low setting, making sure to stir the mixture halfway through cooking.
Once the potatoes have cooked and softened, mash them in the crockpot using a potato masher. Then, use an immersion blender to blend until the potatoes are smooth and creamy.
If the potatoes are too thick, add more oil or 2-4 Tablespoons of non dairy milk or non dairy cream to help thin them out.
Remove the full herb sprigs, fold in the remaining chopped herb pieces, and add sea salt, garlic salt, and pepper to taste.
- For thinner or extra creamy mashed potatoes, add extra non milk or non dairy cream as needed.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can continue to mash the beans and potatoes with a masher. Or, place the cooked mashed potatoes in a blender. If using a blender, add liquid, broth or non dairy milk (2-4 Tablespoons), and blend the ingredients until creamy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 251
- Sugar: 3.4 g
- Sodium: 169.3 mg
- Fat: 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.7 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: slow cooker mashed potatoes, vegan mashed potatoes, white bean mashed potatoes, vegan side dish, dairy free, gluten free, holiday recipes