These No Bake Cowboy Cookie Energy Bites are the perfect gluten free breakfast or snack. Made with better-for-you ingredients, they’re everything you love about a freshly baked cowboy cookie in the convenience of no bake energy bites! Vegan option.
What Is a Cowboy Cookie?
Somewhere between a protein bar and a chocolate chip cookie, rumor has it that the first cowboy cookie was invented by cowboys in Texas in the 1800s. As the story goes, they were intended to be an easy-to-make, packable recipe that the men could use as fuel while out on the trails. However, the validity of this tale has never been confirmed as being historically accurate. Whatever their origin, one thing is certain – cowboy cookies are crazy delicious!
Our Better For You No Bake Version
As much as we love cookies, we can’t just sit around eating them all day! Maybe in our dream life. 😉 So, we took our favorite cowboy cookie recipe and turned it into a more wholesome no bake energy bites!
They require no eggs, no flour mixture, no baking soda, or vanilla extract, but have all the flavors you love. Plus, they’re gluten free, dairy free, and even have a vegan option, too!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Gluten Free Rolled Oats – A good source of complex carbohydrates, oats form the base of these cowboy cookie bites, providing a slightly chewy texture along with plenty of fiber to keep you full!
- Dark Chocolate Chips – We love the rich flavor of dark chocolate and the antioxidants it provides! However, if you prefer, you could swap out it out for milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Shredded Coconut (Unsweetened) – Coconut is crucial to recreating the taste and texture of cowboy cookies. Plus, it’s a great source of copper, selenium, potassium, and more!
- Coconut or Brown Sugar – Just a pinch of sugar helps provide the sweetness you would expect from cookie dough without creating a sugar crash later.
- Chopped Nuts – Traditional cowboy cookies use pecans, but feel free to use whatever you like best. They’re all rich sources of healthy fats and fiber!
- Cinnamon – One of our favorite anti-inflammatory spices, cinnamon helps create a warm flavor and extra depth.
- No Stir Creamy Nut Butter – We usually use peanut butter, but almond butter, cashew butter, or even sunflower butter would work! Just be aware that the taste and texture may change based on what you use.
- Raw Honey or Maple Syrup – Crucial to creating a sticky texture, honey and maple syrup are rich sources of antioxidants and can help fight inflammation.
Note: If you prefer a more sweet/salty taste, feel free to add just a pinch of salt as well!
How to Roll It All Together
Below is a brief overview of how we create our energy bites without the need for an oven but don’t forget to take a look at the full recipe below for all the details!
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix in the wet ingredients.
- Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Scoop and roll the batter into 1-1.5 inch balls, and place them on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for 20-30 minutes.
How to Keep Energy Bites from Falling Apart ➕ Tips for Better Bites!
Add More Honey or Syrup. If your bites aren’t sticking together, add a touch more honey or maple syrup until the batter sticks together.
Use Protein Powder or Oat Flour. On the other hand, if your bites are too sticky to hold together, try sprinkling a bit of protein powder or gluten free oat flour into the batter.
Chill. Don’t forget to chill the dough before trying to form your bites. No really! This will help the ingredients stick together.
Squeeze and Roll! If you’re having trouble getting your cowboy cookie bites to stick together, try squeezing them first. Just pinch off a portion of the dough, squeeze it between your fingers, roll it between your palms, and repeat until a round ball is formed.
How Do I Store No Bake Energy Bites?
Once your bites are formed and frozen, they can be stored in an airtight container or sealable bag in the fridge or freezer for up to 6 weeks.
We recommend serving your bites cold or at room temperature so be sure to thaw them before eating!
More Gluten Free No Bake Bites & Balls You’ll Love
- Crushed nuts, chocolate chips, rolled oats, creamy nut butter, and dried cranberries come together to taste just like oatmeal cookies in these No Bake Oatmeal Energy Balls.
- These Dark Chocolate Chunk No Bake Protein Balls are a chewy, nut free snack perfect for packed lunches, post-workout fuel, and more!
- Naturally sweetened and full of healthy fats, Chocolate Pistachio Protein Balls are crunchy, slightly sweet, and completely delicious.
- Everything you love about cookies in the form of no bake bites, No Bake Chocolate Cookie Truffles are gluten free, made with 5 ingredients, and even have a vegan option to meet all your needs!