Gluten free Moroccan salad recipe with chickpeas and quinoa! This zippy healthy salad is far from boring. Layers of quinoa, spiced chickpea, dried fruit, pistachios, feta cheese, and vegetables. Great to serve as a gluten free and vegetarian main meal or side dish.
Let’s continue with fresh and light quinoa recipes, shall we? Lately I’ve been hooked on all kinds of quinoa salads! Yes, the love is genuine and real, maybe even borderline obsessive. Can you blame me?
Today’s recipe and quinoa food theme is just as LOVELY and somewhat SPRING-Y! It also has a bit of Mediterranean and Moroccan flare. My favorite type of food!
That being said, let me present to you… drum roll please….
MOROCCAN Style Quinoa Chickpea salad
Although, I have to give you the backstory on this salad and why I ended up making it.
First of all, I needed another simple meal prep dish for lunches. I should really update you on life, but let’s just say we’ve had more transitions, life transitions. And meal prep recipes have saved us!
Secondly, the Kiwi (aka my husband) has requested lighter dinners, like salad for dinner. WHAT? A salad? Soup and salad, yes. Salad for lunch, sure. Side salads, always. I’m all about that. But I’ve never heard him request a salad as main DINNER meal. But it makes perfect sense. Spring and Summer is in the air. We’re craving those foods, naturally! And I shouldn’t be one to complain about a no cook meal for dinner.
That being said, if we’re going to have a salad for dinner, it’s going to be a WHOLESOME and one with lots of FLAVOR!”
Truth be told, I feel wrong serving a man a plain salad. Heck, I grew up with three brothers. They always said salad was just water, no lie. With their words in my mind, I was driven.
Ways to serve this Moroccan Chickpea Quinoa Salad!
- Meal prep! Great to take to work or for kids/athletes looking for a quick nutrient dense meal.
- Make it fresh and serve at a potluck or party. This salad is so fresh, beautiful, and flavorful!
- Double the recipe and make this quinoa salad the Main dish around your dinner table. Toss in grilled chicken, fish, or uncured meat. Pair with soft boiled eggs or hard boiled eggs. Or keep as is, hearty and plant based!
The surprising thing is, this salad took little effort. And if you have a variety of leftovers in your house, it’s even better!
Ingredients to make a Moroccan Chickpea Quinoa Salad!
- Leafy greens for the base layer
- Moroccan Spices – think turmeric, cumin, and/or paprika!
- Cooked Quinoa
- Fig or Dates
- Fresh herbs such as Mint or Basil
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Carrots or Zucchini
- Red Onion
- Unshelled Pistachios
- Balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- Splash of Lemon if you’d like.
Healthy Moroccan Salad recipe with Chickpea and Quinoa . Plant based and rich in protein. Great for meal prep too!
- 1 1/2 cup to 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2/3 cup chickpeas (canned/drained chickpeas or pre roasted if you can find them)
- toss fresh chickpeas in a pinch of ground turmeric, pepper, sea salt, and ginger (optional, but delicious.)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (red onion or green work best)
- 4–6 cups leafy greens
- 2/3 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crumbled or cubed feta cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 4 figs (dried or fresh) or pitted dated (sliced or diced)
- 1 cup diced carrot or zucchini
- 1/2 to 1 ounce pistachios
Dressing and garnishes:
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Lemon + splash of juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp each ground paprika and cumin,
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 c chopped parsley leaves (fresh)
- 2 tbsp chopped mint (or 3 mint leaves)
- First, prepare your quinoa according to package. Fluff with fork and set aside.
- Rinse your chickpeas (if using canned) and then toss them with pinch of turmeric, ginger, and pepper. Mix together with cooked quinoa.
- Next, layer your salad. Greens, grains, vegetables, figs, feta, chickpeas, onion, pistachio and so on.
- Whisk together honey, 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar, and remaining dressing spices.
- Pour over salad and toss. Mix in your chopped parsley.
- Add a splash of lemon and lemon slices to garnish.
- Fresh Mint on top to garnish (chopped or whole)
- Serve immediately or cover and place in fridge for up to 2 days. For longer storage or meal prep, keep the dressing separate until ready to serve.
- Optional protein to toss in or layer on top of salad – grilled chicken, prosciutto, salmon, seared lamb, etc.
- Category: salad
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: salad, chickpea salad, quinoa, gluten free, vegetarian, moroccan, mediterranean, healthy, gluten free
Can you just imagine diggin into all those layers? Gah, I’m pretty impressed with my man approved “salad” myself. Now, if only all men would be so open to eating a salad for dinner. I think I got lucky with my husband, the kiwi (lover of all foods) Cotter husband.
Okay, enough gushing over my salad. Let me know if you are known to make some pretty mean and green BIG A** salads (aka BAS)! If so, what’s in it? Moroccan spices, chickpeas, all the veg?
MORE HEALTHY SPRING SALAD RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our fave Healthy Spring Salad Recipes collection. Check it out!