Zingy Marinated Beet and Apple Salad. A simple healthy salad that’s vegan and paleo friendly, and packed full of flavor! This beet and apple salad is rich in antioxidants, easy to make, and great for a seasonal side dish! Or enjoy with the family and boost your health.
Happy almost October ya’ll. I kinda dig this month. It’s like the best weather month! Cool, crisp, cozy! Which makes it the perfect excuse to dive into my family’s cookbook! Yes, we have a little cookbook and I just adore browsing through old recipes from my great aunts, grandma, great grandma, etc. Which is why I am sharing this updated version of my marinated beet apple salad recipe for you today. New photos, retested recipe. All to honor my great grandma Nanaw’s recipe! She lived to be 104 years old so I trust her judgement with recipes and health. Ha, wouldn’t you?
I don’t think she’d mind me changing the recipe a bit. In fact, I know she’d loved my version. She was the most encouraging woman I knew, plus a badass in life in general.
Okay, enough grandma gushing here. Let me tell you about the beet apple salad. Because it’s pretty badass itself, flavor wise and nutrition wise! And for all you who need some extra recovery for your body (anti-inflammatory and all), you might want to take notes and then stock up on beets and apples after, just sayin..
So what happens when we work out or do any type of physical activity of some sort? Well, our muscles are put into action. They work, then they need to rest and repair. But here’s the thing, the aerobic muscle fibers need antioxidant nutrients in order to continue to function and fight fatigue. Yep, there’s that antioxidant talk again. But we need an abundance of nutrients in order to support this antioxidant and anti-inflammatory system of ours. This is where beet and apple come into play.
Beets and Apples are some of the MOST POWERFUL foods rich in antioxidants. Beets, in particular, are rich in natural folate, which can help the body build up certain cells that fight other immune weakening cells. Apples are rich in quercetin, which quercetin plays an important part in fighting free radicals (effects of aging and inflammation).
So you see, beets and apples can help our muscle fibers repair and function properly. Which is why they make a perfection addition to your any meal or smoothie
But also, they really do taste delicious, combined! Enough nerdy nutrition talk, let me tell you how to make this beet salad, mmm k?
How to make the most delicious marinated Beet Apple Salad
First, the key to unlocking flavor (and nutrients) is by marinating the beets, apples, and optional pepper in Healthy Fats and flavorful spices. Ya’ll this is definitely A WINNER for healthy Fall inspired dish.
Here’s whatcha need.
- Beets, Apples, Lemons, Herbs To Garnish
- Olive oil or Avocado oil – Healthy Fats
- Red wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- Spices- Cumin, Pepper, Sea Salt, A Touch Of Raw Sugar and if you like a kick of spice, add paprika or cayenne.
Now don’t you worry, you don’t have to tell people all this healthy mumbo jumbo. I mean, you could, but wouldn’t it be easier to just say “Hey, this apple salad is super TASTY and it’s gonna keep you strong!” Haha, I like the sound of that better.
Healthy Marinated Beet and Apple Salad
- 4 medium Beets
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp gluten free worcestershire sauce (use Tamari Sauce with 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar if vegan)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and black pepper (each)
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard or 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika or cayenne (omit for nightshade free)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- Optional – toss with lettuce and slice banana pepper (omit for nightshade free)
- Optional toppings : Herbs of choice, 1/4 cup optional sunflower or pumpkin seeds, nuts, peppercorns to top.
- First clean and wash your beets.
- Steam in 1 inch water and dash of sea salt for 20 minutes at medium high heat on stove top.
- Once beets are softened and steamed, you can easily peel them and chop into quarters.
- Slice your apple thin (remove core) and combine with beets in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine your sugar, salt, and the rest of your seasoning. Set aside.
- Drizzle the oil, vinegar, and tamari or worcestershire sauce mixture over beets and apples and peppers. Then add in your seasonings and toss all together in mixing bowl.
- Place in fridge for 1 hr up to 24 hrs to marinate.
- Remove from fridge and add optional nuts and any additional herbs/peppercorns that you desire. You can also place the beet and apple salad on a bed of lettuce before serving. Drizzle with extra marinade if needed.
- If you are vegan, use 1 tsp tamari sauce plus 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar in place of worcestershire sauce.
- Category: salad
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salad, beets, apple beet salad, healthy, marinate, dairy free, paleo, apple salad.
And I’m pretty sure my great grandma would like the sound of that too. Hmmm..come to think of it, now I know why she lived so long. Must have been the beets.
That and she practiced Tai Chi every week. I told you she was super cool!
Want more beet and apple recipes to divine into? I gotcha covered.
Beet fried Avocado Toast (an oldie but goodie)
Favorite family recipe?
I want to know! Are you making beets this season? I hope so!
MORE HEALTHY SPRING SALAD RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our fave Healthy Spring Salad Recipes collection. Check it out!