Marinated Beet and Apple Salad with banana peppers and pecans. A super food salad that’s vegan and paleo friendly, and packed full of flavor! This beet and apple salad is rich in antioxidants, easy to make, and great for a potluck side dish! Or enjoy with the family and boost your health.
Happy November ya’ll. I kinda dig this month. It’s like the best weather month in Austin! Plus it’s Thanksgiving and the perfect excuse to dive into my family’s cookbook! Yes, we have a little cookbook and I just adore browsing through old recipes from my great aunts, grandma, great grandma, etc. Which is why I have a yummy marinated beet apple salad recipe for you today. It’s twist on my great grandma Nanaw’s recipe! She lived to be 104 years old so I trust her judgement with recipes. Ha, wouldn’t you? I don’t think she’d mind me changing the recipe a bit. In fact, I know she’d loved my version. She was one the most encouraging women I knew, plus a badass in life in general.
Okay, enough grandma gushing here. Let me tell you about the beet apple salad. Because it’s pretty badass itself, flavor wise and nutrition wise! And for all you who just ran a race or had some heavy training this weekend, you might want to take notes and then stock up on beets after, just sayin..
So what happens when we work out or do any type of physical activity of some sort? Well, our muscles are put into action. They work, then they need to rest and repair. But here’s the thing, the aerobic muscle fibers need anti-oxidant nutrients in order to continue to function and fight fatigue. Yep, there’s that antioxidant talk again. But we need an abundance of nutrients in order to support this anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory system of ours. This is where beet and apple come into play.
Beets and Apples are some of the MOST POWERFUL foods rich in antioxidants. Beets, in particular, are rich in natural folate, which can help the body build up certain cells that fight other immune weakening cells. Ha, does that make sense?
Let me rephrase. Beets and Apples are SUPER POWERFUL antioxidants that can help our muscle fibers repair and function properly. So they make a perfection addition to your recovery meal.
Beets, in particular, can also help the boost the immune system with it’s powerful source of natural folate.
Healthy muscles, healthy immune system = WINNING!
So this Beet Apple Salad marinated in Healthy Fats/oils and delicious spices is definitely A WINNER for healthy Fall inspired dish.
But don’t worry, you don’t have to tell people all this. I mean, you could, but wouldn’t it be easier to just say “Hey, this salad is super TASTY and it’s gonna keep you strong!” Haha, I like the sound of that better.
Healthy Marinated Beet and Apple Salad
- 4 medium Beets
- 1 large Banana Pepper
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp gluten free worcestershire sauce (use Tamari Sauce with 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar if vegan)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and black pepper (each)
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp onion salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecan or walnuts
- First wash your beets.
- Steam in 1 inch water and dash of sea salt for 20 minutes at medium high heat on stove top.
- Once beets are softened and steamed, you can easily peel them and chop into quarters.
- Chop your apple and pepper and combine with beets in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine your sugar, salt, and the rest of your seasoning. Set aside.
- Drizzle oil, vinegar, and tamari or worcestershire sauce mixture over beets and apples and peppers. Then add in your seasonings and toss all together in mixing bowl.
- Place in fridge for 8 to 24 hrs to marinate.
- Remove from fridge and add pecans or walnuts nuts and any additional seasoning that you desire.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can also add goat cheese for texture/flavor. It's all great!
If you are vegan, use 1 tsp tamari sauce plus 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar in place of worcestershire sauce.
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunchor hashtag #cottercrunch
And I’m pretty sure my great grandma would like the sound of that too. Hmmm..come to think of it, now I know why she lived so long. Must have been the beets.
That and she practiced Tai Chi every week. I told you she was super cool!
Want more beet recipes to divine into? I gotcha covered.
Favorite family recipe?
I want to know! Are you making beets this Holiday season? haha, I hope so!