Roasted chickpeas are super easy to make for a healthy, gluten free, vegan recipe bursting with flavor. Season them with all your favorite herbs and spices, and enjoy them on their own, as a topping for salads and soups, and more for a little extra crunch and a boost of plant-based protein.
Posted with permission, this roasted chickpeas recipe was created by Suzy Karadsheh and included in her debut cookbook, The Mediterranean Dish. Having grown up in Egypt, Suzy features bold Mediterranean flavors in her family-friendly recipes and provides personal insights into the recipes, culture, and traditions of the Middle East. As a result, all of the recipes are nourishing, approachable, and super tasty, and we couldn’t be more honored to be able to promote her savory roasted chickpeas recipe!
What Are Chickpeas Anyways?
Part of the legume family, the word “chickpeas” comes from the Latin word, “cicer” which refers to the plant-based family of legumes known as Fabacea. (Source) This includes kidney beans, black beans, lima beans, and peanuts.
A nutritional powerhouse, garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas, are a great source of gluten free carbohydrates, plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals including B vitamins. As a result, including them in your diet can have many positive benefits including:
- Reducing the risk of developing diabetes
- Improving gut health
- Reducing the risk of heart disease
Savory Ingredients for Roasted Chickpeas
One of our favorite things about this roasted chickpeas recipe is that it’s super simple to create. Once you pick up a can of chickpeas, you’ll have everything else you’ll need on hand!
- Chickpeas – For easy preparation, we use canned chickpeas. Just be sure to rinse and drain them, and discard the extra liquid!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Provides a boost of healthy omega fatty acids and creates an extra crispy texture while helping the seasonings stick to the chickpeas.
- Kosher Salt – Used to enhance the rest of the ingredients for a bolder flavor.
- Seasonings – Feel free to use whatever spices and seasonings you have on hand!
If you want, you could omit the seasonings entirely, and keep your roasted chickpeas plain with just a teaspoon or two of salt. However, we love to experiment with different flavor combinations! Feel free to use whatever you have on hand. To get you started, some of our favorite opinions include:
- Greek: Use a Middle Eastern spice blend like this.
- “Cheese”: A sprinkle of nutritional yeast creates a rich cheesy flavor while adding extra nutrients.
- Smoky: A combination of smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder creates an extra smoky taste. Curry powder tasted incredible, too!
- Spicy: Add a dash of cayenne pepper, chili powder, or red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.
- Sweet: Warm cinnamon and coconut sugar create a dessert-like taste.
- Italian: Include oregano and thyme.
- Mexican-Inspired: Include a dash of cumin and chili powder for a Mexican-inspired flare.
How to Roast Chickpeas
Learning how to roast chickpeas at home couldn’t be easier (or more budget-friendly) to do. Just follow the steps below, and they’re ready in minutes with hardly any prep time required!
- Dry the Chickpeas. To begin, drain and rinse your chickpeas, and use a paper towel to pat them completely dry. Then, line a large baking sheet with paper towels, and spread the chickpeas on top. Allow them to dry further for 10-20 minutes.
- Preheat the Oven. In the meantime, position a rack in the center of your oven, and preheat it to 400° Fahrenheit. Remove the paper towels from the pan.
- Toss. Drizzle the chickpeas with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Then, toss to combine, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Roast. Arrange the chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet, and roast them for 25-35 minutes or until they are golden and crisp.
- Season. Once removed from the oven, immediately sprinkle your favorite seasonings on top, and enjoy warm. Or, store them for later!
Tips and Tricks
Take a look at these simple tips and tricks for the best texture and flavor!
Make Sure Your Canned Chickpeas are Super Dry. If they’re even a little bit damp, they won’t crisp up. So, be sure to pat them off with a paper towel, and let them sit for at least 1-2 hours or up to overnight.
Shake the Baking Sheet. Keep an eye on the oven, and shake the baking sheet every 10 minutes or so to make sure they cook evenly and crisp up on all sides.
Season While Warn. Be sure to add your seasonings right away while the chickpeas are still hot from the oven to ensure they stick!
Eat Them Fast! Roasted chickpeas are best served fresh because they have the most crunch when warm. They’re still tasty when served later but continue to become chewier the longer they’re stored. So, you’ll want to use them up quickly!
How to Store
Roasted chickpeas are best served right away. However, if you do have leftovers, they can be stored at room temperature for a few days. We’ve found storing them in an airtight container or jar with a loose lid works best, because it allows the air to circulate, keeping them crispy for longer.
However, if your chickpeas do lose a bit of their crispness, you can easily pop them back in the air fryer or oven for a few minutes to freshen them back up!
How to Use Roasted Chickpeas
Our favorite way to enjoy this roasted chickpeas recipe is by the handful for a healthy snack! Honestly though, there’s not much they don’t taste great with. Some of our favorite pairings include:
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! The nutritional value of roasted chickpeas is nearly identical to uncooked chickpeas. They do have a bit more sodium, but you can easily omit the extra salt and use sodium-free seasonings if needed.
No, roasted chickpeas are an excellent source of gluten free, plant-based protein with a little over 14 grams of protein per 1 cup serving. (Source)
No. However, if you want to use dried chickpeas, we highly recommend soaking them in water 24 hours in advance in order to rehydrate them and allow them to expand.
More Gluten Free, Vegan Snacks You’ll Love
If you loved this roasted chickpeas recipe, take a look at more of our favorite allergy friendly snacks below!
- Multiseed Homemade Healthy Crackers – Made with 4 types of seeds, these crackers are full of nutrients and provide plenty of crunch!
- Coconut Chocolate Protein Balls – Low sugar, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, vegan, and made with 0 baking required, these protein balls are a decadent treat you can feel good about.
- Spiced Pumpkin Seed Granola – Grain free, nut free, and refined sugar free, this granola is so good you’ll be making it all year long.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cornflake Cookies – Made with simple ingredients and no corn syrup, cookies are a better-for-you, no-bake version of the classic cornflake cookie recipe we all love.
Do you have questions, feedback, or tips about this recipe? Leave a comment below with any questions or feedback you’d like to share!