Healthy Marinated Beet and Apple Salad
- 4 medium Beets
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1 large Banana Pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp gluten free worcestershire sauce (use Tamari Sauce with 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar if vegan)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and black pepper (each)
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard or 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika or cayenne
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- Optional bed of lettuce, spinach, etc. to place salad on.
- Optional toppings : Herbs of choice, 1/4 cup optional sunflower or pumpkin seeds, nuts, peppercorns to top.
- First wash your beets.
- Steam in 1 inch water and dash of sea salt for 20 minutes at medium high heat on stove top.
- Once beets are softened and steamed, you can easily peel them and chop into quarters.
- Slice your apple thin (remove core) and combine with beets in a large mixing bowl. If you want to add banana pepper, chop and add here with apples and beets. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine your sugar, salt, and the rest of your seasoning. Set aside.
- Drizzle the oil, vinegar, and tamari or worcestershire sauce mixture over beets and apples and peppers. Then add in your seasonings and toss all together in mixing bowl.
- Place in fridge for 1 hr up to 24 hrs to marinate.
- Remove from fridge and add optional nuts and any additional herbs/peppercorns that you desire. You can also place the beet and apple salad on a bed of lettuce before serving. Drizzle with extra marinade if needed.
- Serve and enjoy! You can also add goat cheese for texture/flavor. It’s all great!
- If you are vegan, use 1 tsp tamari sauce plus 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar in place of worcestershire sauce.
- Category: salad
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salad, beets, apple beet salad, healthy, marinate, dairy free, paleo, apple salad.