Lemon Herb Socca Pizza is a vegetarian farinata recipe that’s zippy, zesty, and delicious. Perfect to serve as an appetizer, flatbread, or light meatless meal. Grain free with vegan option.
Let’s talk all things Socca
Another Socca recipe. Although this one is more socca pizza and Flatbread combined. It’s not too thick, it’s extra crispy, and when broiled it makes for a an excellent sweet and savory flatbread appetizer, also known as Farinata (chickpea pancake).
Confused yet? Don’t worry, we will get all that sorted out in a minute. But first, I have to share with you something EXTRA special and cool. Mmmm k?
So what makes this lemon herb socca pizza recipe so different than my others? Why am I calling it a farinata recipe too? Well, it comes down to a few minor details.
Like the origin of name, toppings, and thickness of crust.
The Difference Between Socca and Farinata
- Socca is made with garbanzo bean flour the name is originated France. Think of it as a large chickpea pancake. Mmmm pancakes.
- Farinata is made with chickpea (garbanzo) bean flour and the name originated from Italy.
- Both are traditionally mixed with olive oil, herbs, and pepper. Then cooked in wood ovens on copper baking-pans.
- BUT …. some variations of the Italian style Farinata recipe do not include rosemary. And SOME variations are thinner than others.
So you see, it really comes down to names, origin, and preference. In my opinion, socca pizza is thicker with a variety of toppings. Farinata is thinner, more like flatbread, with light toppings.
Either way you make it, thin crust or a just a little thicker, it’s delicious. A lemon herb Socca Pizza Farinata recipe combo! Kind of the best of both words if you ask me.
We’re just going to go with that, mmm k?
Can I entice you with another list?
To make this Socca Pizza (Farinata Recipe) you will need:
- Garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour – This stone ground flour is high in fiber, plant based protein, and made with whole garbanzo beans. The simplest SUPERFOOD ingredients if you ask me.
- Olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper
- Organic or Homemade pesto- Yes, I am still on a pesto kick. Extra flavor and extra healthy fats!
- Herb toppings (basil, tarragon, or oregano leaves) – Contain oils that have antioxidant effect
- Arugula – Vitamin K
- Lemon – Vitamin C
- A light meltable artisan cheese of choice or vegan cheese if you choose – Calcium and protein
- Peppercorns – Just for crunch and taste!
See, half pizza and half flatbread. Can it really get any better?
So what would you call this lemon herb socca pizza? Who’s side are you on? Italian Style Farinata or French Style Socca? They both win by the way. Chickpea flour does wonders I tell ya!