Lemon Herb Socca Pizza! A vegetarian Farinata Recipe that’s zippy, zesty, and delicious. Perfect to serve as an appetizer, flatbread, or light meatless meal. Grain free with vegan option.
Hey hey! How about a EASY delicious vegetarian recipe today? I’ve partnered with Bob’s Red Mill to bring you this Lemon Herb Socca Pizza (Farinata Recipe)! We are thankful for their wonderful Gluten free products and allowing me to continue to share and create gluten free recipes.
It’s the meatless Monday dish of your almost Summer dreams! Yes! Another Socca recipe. Although this one is more socca pizza and Flatbread combined. It’s not too thick, it’s extra crispy, and when broiled it makes for a an excellent sweet and savory flatbread appetizer, also known as Farinata (chickpea pancake). Confused yet? Don’t worry, we will get all that sorted out in a minute. But first, I have to share with you something EXTRA special and cool. Mmmm k?
So this past weekend I had the pleasure of dinning with the most AMAZING Bob’s Redmill team members; Cassidy and Sarena. I call them team because they work together to truly share their passion for this company. Anyways, Sarena (my long time gluten free food blog friend) is the Social Media Coordinator Bob’s Redmill and does an amazing job! Cassidy is the Digital Communications Manager. She’s obviously AMAZING too. My goodness, those two are amazing together. Hence the mention of TEAM.
It was a delight to be able to connect with them and it’s been such a joy to work with this Bob’s Redmill team. I’m excited for what this brand is doing now and in the future! I think you will too. So stay tuned for that.
Alright, I better stop now before I brag about them forever, which I could. Let’s talk Socca Pizza, Socca Flatbread, Farinata, and more.
So what makes this socca recipe so different than my others? Why am I calling it Farinata too? Well, it comes down to a few minor details.
Like the origin of name, toppings, and thickness of crust.
- Socca is made with garbanzo bean flour the name is originated France. Think of it as a large chickpea pancake. Mmmm pancakes.
- Farinata is made with chickpea (garbanzo) bean flour and the name is originated from Italy.
- Both are traditionally mixed with olive oil, herbs, and pepper. Then cooked in wood ovens on copper baking-pans.
- BUT …. some variations of the Italian style Farinata do not include Rosemary. And SOME variations are thinner than others.
So you see, it really comes down to names, origin, and preference. In my opinion, socca pizza is thicker with a variety of toppings. Farinata is thinner, more like flatbread, with light toppings.
Either way you make it, thin crust or a just a little thicker, it’s delicious. A Socca Pizza Farinata recipe combo! Kind of the best of both words if you ask me.
We’re just going to go with that, mmm k?
Can I entice you with another list?
To make this Lemon Herb Socca Pizza (Farinata Recipe) you will need:
- Bob’s Redmilll Garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour – This stone ground flour is high in fiber, plant based protein, and made with whole garbanzo beans. The simplest SUPERFOOD ingredients if you ask me.
- Olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper
- Organic or Homemade pesto- Yes, I am still on a pesto kick. Extra flavor and extra healthy fats!
- Herb toppings (basil, tarragon, or oregano leaves) – Contain oils that have antioxidant effect
- Arugula – Vitamin K
- Lemon – Vitamin C
- A light meltable artisan cheese of choice or vegan cheese if you choose – Calcium and protein
- Peppercorns – Just for crunch and taste!
See, half pizza and half flatbread. Can it really get any better?
Lemon Herb Socca Pizza (Farinata Recipe)
Lemon Herb Socca Pizza! A vegetarian Farinata Recipe that's zippy, zesty, and delicous. Perfect to serve as an appetizer, flatbread, or light meatless meal. Grain free with vegan option.
- 1 1/4 cup chickpea flour, also known as garbanzo bean flour (Bob's Redmill
- 1 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper each (to taste)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil, plus more for the pan
- Optional minced garlic (for the garlic lovers. 1/2 to 1 tsp)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp seasoning of choice (optional).
- 10 to 14 inch Pan to heat in oven. The wider the pan, the thinner the crust. (Cast iron works great)
SOCCA PIZZA (Chickpea Flatbread) TOPPINGS
- 2 tbsp pesto or vegan homemade pesto
- Handful of arugula leaves
- Smoked or buffalo style mozzarella. 4-6 ounces sliced around 1/4 to 1/2 in thick. See notes for vegan option.
- Sliced lemon
- Pinch of fresh tarragon or oregano leaves (extra for garnish)
- Handful of basil leaves
- Sea Salt/Pepper to taste
- Extra peppercorns, seasoning, and herbs to top.
- Drizzle with extra olive oil before serving if desired.
- First Mix your chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour, 2 tbsp olive oil, water, and seasonings together. Whisk until smooth. It’s best to let it sit for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the batter is sitting, preheat oven to broil. Place your pan in the oven to heat for 10 minutes.
- While the pan is preheating, prep your topping. Slice the lemon, mozzarella (or cheese of choice), and tear or loosely cut herbs. Set aside.
- Remove pan with gloves after 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to the pan and swirl it around to coat pan
- Gently pour in your chickpea/socca batter. Tilt pan so the batter fills and is even.
- Turn oven down to 425F and place pan back in oven for 5- 8 minutes depending on your oven. Just until the batter is set. If you are using a pan larger in diameter (12-15 inches) the socca crust will cook faster and come out thinner. Be sure to check at 5 minutes for progress.
- Remove from oven.
- Spread the pesto sauce on top. Then add about 3- 4 slices of cheese (around 3-4 ounces), arugula (or greens of choice). Place your thinly sliced lemon (no seeds) on top of the cheese.
- Next add a couple extra thin slices of your cheese on top the lemon. Tuck a few fresh herbs; basil and or oregano/tarragon around the cheese and lemon slices. Salt and pepper to taste. See notes for vegan option.
- Place back in oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and the socca bread is crispy and brown on outside. Broil and 2-3 minutes if you want extra crispy and chewy flatbread (farinata).
- Remove from the oven. You should be able to slide or use a spatula to place the pizza crust onto a stone or heat safe surface to cool.
- Finally, top with extra herbs, peppercorn, and everything seasoning of choice.
- Drizzle a little of olive oil on top before slicing and serving.
Depending on the size of your pan, this socca serves about 3-5. A cast iron pan works well for making socca. The larger the pan, the thinner the crust.
Estimated Nutrition using Buffalo Mozzarella.
2 Small slices (or 1 larger quarter slice of pizza/flatbread)- To reduce calories, use less cheese or an shredded aged cheese such as parmesan).
Calories 275 -279 Fat 15-16g Saturated Fat 3-4g Cholesterol 18.2mg Sodium 391.5mg Carbohydrate 16-18.8g Fiber 3.5g Sugars 3- 4g Protein 14g Vitamin C 3.6mg Calcium 267.9mg Iron 1.6mg 9% Magnesium 60.7mg
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunchor hashtag #cottercrunch
PS –> If you want EXTRA CRISPY FLATBREAD TEXTURE, try broiling it longer. Here’s the result. SO SO GOOD! Broiled lemon, bread, and cheese is underrated.
So what would you call this dish? Who’s side are you on? Italian Style Farinata or French Style Socca? They both win by the way. Chickpea flour does wonders I tell ya!Sign me up for a slice of LEMON and HERB SOCCA Pizza!Click To Tweet