This gluten free Peppery Broccoli Arugula Pesto Pasta is gonna rock your world! A pesto pasta with broccoli and arugula and packed with nutrition and flavor! An easy pasta dinner for a quick weeknight dinner or healthy lunch! Ready in under 30 minutes and vegan friendly. Can’t beat that now, can you?
Okay y’all! Last day of July! What the what?? That being said, it’s time to pep things up for new month. Pep? As in peppery broccoli arugula pesto pasta! Say that 10x fast. Lol! Sorry, I’m sleep deprived and hungry. Which makes me extra corny.
Oh yes, we’re talkin peppy pesto! Gah, I am obsessed with making homemade pesto this summer. Can’t stop, won’t stop! The abundance of leafy greens, summer veggies, and basil has my foodie heart jumping for joy!
But you should probably know what makes this summer pesto pasta so peppy! Peppery? It’s that broccoli and rocket! Rocket, as I’m arugula!!
Did you know that people in New Zealand and parts of Europe call arugula rocket? I’m sure you did I am the only one that didn’t! Ya, Funny story about that rocket.
When we lived in NZ, my mother in Law would call us from the store asking if we wanted rocket for salads and sandwiches. I was so confused. I thought maybe she was referring to pepper or some sort of spicy dip? It wasn’t until about the third time she came home with a “bag of rocket” that I got it. “Ohhhh you mean arugula??!! ” She would then reply. “Yes, you American! ” 😂
Anyways, that name for arugula will forever be a funny memory in my heart!
Now let’s discuss this rocket arugula broccoli pesto pasta! The American Version.
For that peppery pesto you will need :
- Smoked Or Roasted Almonds
- Nutritional Yeast Or Parmesan
- Garlic Cloves And Onion
- Crushed Red Pepper And Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
That peppery pep all makes sense now, right?
Pep as in rocket power! Peppery Arugula, and one heck of tasty pesto pasta! Made rocket fire fast! See what I did there? Ha!
Okay no just toss your pesto in with cooked gluten free rice noodles, a spiralized vegetable noodle, or another gluten free pasta of choice. A handful of cherry tomatoes, marinated olives, and extra broccoli sprouts to top! Here’s my other tip. If you don’t want to actually cook gluten free pasta, use Asian rice noodles! Most of those type of rice noodles/sticks you can just soak in hot water for 30 minutes. Then rinse cold and toss all in a pan super cook with the pesto and tomatoes.
Snappy, peppy, peppery, PERFECT! I can’t stop saying that word ya’ll!
Pretty sure you will get like 10 servings of vegetables without even knowing it! Plus this plant power pesto pasta bowl actually has a decent amount of protein. WOO! Oh and Vegan friendly and gluten free, of course!
I won’t judge for rolling your eyes at my humor. Go for it! But while you’re rolling your eyes, please wipe the drool, cause this dish should have made you super hungry! Mmm k?
Broccoli Arugula Pesto Pasta
A quick and healthy Broccoli Arugula Pesto Pasta! Gluten free with Vegan Option.
FOR the PESTO
- 2 cup broccoli - chopped without stems
- 1/2 cup smoked or roasted almonds
- 1/3 c nutritional yeast or parmesan
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup arugula
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper pepper
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp Crushed red pepper
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 to 2/3 c olive oil
FOR THE PASTA
- 4 ounces rice noodles, gluten free spaghetti pasta, or spiralized vegetable noodles,
- Red pepper flakes to garnish
- 1 oz marinated sliced green olives
- Lemon wedge to garnish
- microgreens or broccoli sprouts to garnish
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp crushed smoked or roasted almonds to top.
- Optional topping - grated Parmesan or non dairy cheese topping of choice.
- First make sure your broccoli stems are cut off. You just want to use the floret part. Place broccoli in food processor first, and blend until finely chopped.
- Add in your almonds, nutritional yeast (or grated parmesan), seasonings, and arugula . Blend and pulse again until all is mixed.
- Squeeze the lemon evenly around the blended pesto.
Then close the lid, except for the the top hole, and place food processor on low. Slowly add in oil while food processor is going. Stop and scrape sides if needed. Pulse until smooth. If you want thinner pesto, add more oil or a touch water. Adjust salt/pepper to taste if needed.
This will make almost 2 cups of pesto. You will only need 2/3 cup or less for this recipe.
- Now prepare the pasta.
- If you are using the rice noodles, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles 2-3 minutes. Be sure not to overcook.
- Remove noodles from stove. Drain. Rinse cold, then add back to pot with 2/3 c of pesto. NOTE --> If you are using regular gluten free pasta, cook according to package. Usually 6-8 minutes is sufficient for boiling.
- Rinse cold after.
- Add in your handful of tomatoes and any extra seasonings.
- Mix together on medium until tomatoes are cooked and pesto is mixed through.
- Serve into bowls and top with broccoli sprouts, sliced olives, crushed almonds, salt/pepper, red pepper flakes, and olives.
- Drizzle of olive oil if desired. Feel free to add in a protein of choice!
Pesto makes around 2 cups. You will only need 2/3 cup or less for this recipe. So keep the rest of toast or even potato salad!
Estimated Nutrition Per serving:
280 calories, 8 grams of fat, 0 trans fat, 42 carbohydrates, 5 grams of fiber, 1 grams of sugar, 7-8 grams of protein.
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunchor hashtag #cottercrunch
Estimated Nutrition with Pesto included!
Hit me up! What’s your favorite pesto recipe or pesto pasta recipe?
Cheers to a PEPPY week!