A quick and healthy Broccoli Arugula Pesto Pasta! Gluten free, vegetarian with vegan option.
FOR the PESTO:
- 2 cup broccoli – chopped without stems
- 1/2 cup smoked or roasted almonds
- 1/3 c nutritional yeast or parmesan
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup arugula
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper pepper
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp Crushed red pepper
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 to 2/3 c olive oil
FOR THE PASTA:
- 4 ounces rice noodles, gluten free spaghetti pasta, or spiralized vegetable noodles,
- Red pepper flakes to garnish
- 1 oz marinated sliced green olives
- Lemon wedge to garnish
- microgreens or broccoli sprouts to garnish
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp crushed smoked or roasted almonds to top.
- Optional topping – grated Parmesan or non dairy cheese topping of choice.
- First make sure your broccoli stems are cut off. You just want to use the floret part. Place broccoli in food processor first, and blend until finely chopped.
- Add in your almonds, nutritional yeast (or grated parmesan), seasonings, and arugula . Blend and pulse again until all is mixed. Squeeze the lemon evenly around the blended pesto.
- Close the lid, except for the the top hole, and place food processor on low. Slowly drizzle in oil while food processor is going. Stop and scrape sides if needed. Pulse until smooth. If you want thinner pesto, add more oil or a touch water. Adjust salt/pepper to taste if needed.
- Now prepare the pasta.
- If you are using the rice noodles, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles 2-3 minutes. Be sure not to overcook.
- Remove noodles from stove. Drain. Rinse in cold water, then add back to pot with 2/3 cup of pesto. NOTE –> If you are using regular gluten free pasta, cook according to package. Usually 6-8 minutes is sufficient for boiling. Rinse in cold water after cooking.
- Add in handful of tomatoes and any extra seasonings. Mix together on medium until tomatoes are cooked and pesto is mixed through.
- Serve into bowls and top with broccoli sprouts, sliced olives, crushed almonds, salt/pepper, red pepper flakes, and olives.
- Drizzle of olive oil if desired. Feel free to add in a protein of choice!
- Pesto makes around 2 cups. You will only need 2/3 cup or less for this recipe. So keep the rest to spread on toast or add to potato salad!
- Category: main, dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pesto pasta, meatless meals, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free