Lemon Herb Socca Pizza! A vegetarian Farinata Recipe that’s zippy, zesty, and delicous. Perfect to serve as an appetizer, flatbread, or light meatless meal. Grain free with vegan option.
- 1 1/4 cup chickpea flour, also known as garbanzo bean flour (Bob’s Redmill)
- 1 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper each (to taste)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil, plus more for the pan
- Optional minced garlic (for the garlic lovers. 1/2 to 1 tsp)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp seasoning of choice (optional).
- 10 to 14 inch Pan to heat in oven. The wider the pan, the thinner the crust. (Cast iron works great)
SOCCA PIZZA (Chickpea Flatbread) TOPPINGS
- 2 tbsp pesto or vegan homemade pesto
- Handful of arugula leaves
- Smoked or buffalo style mozzarella. 4-6 ounces sliced around 1/4 to 1/2 in thick. See notes for vegan option.
- Sliced lemon
- Pinch of fresh tarragon or oregano leaves (extra for garnish)
- Handful of basil leaves
- Sea Salt/Pepper to taste
- Extra peppercorns, seasoning, and herbs to top.
- Drizzle with extra olive oil before serving if desired.
- Mix your chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour, 2 tbsp olive oil, water, and seasonings together in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. It’s best to let it sit for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the batter is sitting, preheat oven to broil. Place your pan in the oven to heat for 10 minutes.
- While the pan is preheating, prep your topping. Slice the lemon, mozzarella (or cheese of choice), and tear or loosely cut herbs. Set aside.
- After 10 minutes in the oven, use gloves to remove pan. Add 1 tbsp of oil to the pan and swirl it around to coat pan.
- Gently pour in chickpea/socca batter. Tilt pan so the batter fills and is even.
- Turn oven down to 425F and place pan back in oven for 5- 8 minutes depending on your oven. Just until the batter is set. If you are using a pan larger in diameter (12-15 inches) the socca crust will cook faster and come out thinner. Be sure to check at 5 minutes for progress. Remove from oven.
- Spread pesto sauce on top. Then add about 3- 4 slices of cheese (around 3-4 ounces), arugula (or greens of choice). Place your thinly sliced lemon (no seeds) on top of the cheese.
- Next add a couple extra thin slices of your cheese on top the lemon. Tuck a few fresh herbs; basil and or oregano/tarragon around the cheese and lemon slices. Salt and pepper to taste. See notes for vegan option.
- Place back in oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and the socca bread is crispy and brown on outside. Broil for 2-3 minutes if you want extra crispy and chewy flatbread (farinata).
- Remove from the oven. You should be able to slide or use a spatula to place the pizza crust onto a stone or heat safe surface to cool.
- Finally, top with extra herbs, peppercorn, and everything seasoning of choice.
- Drizzle a little of olive oil on top before slicing and serving.
Depending on the size of your pan, this socca serves about 3-5 people. A cast iron pan works well for making socca. The larger the pan, the thinner the crust.
Estimated Nutrition using Buffalo Mozzarella.
Serving Size: 2 small slices (or 1/4 of pizza/flatbread)- To reduce calories, use less cheese or an shredded aged cheese such as Parmesan).
- Serving Size: 1/4 pizza
- Calories: 279
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 391.5 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.8 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 18.2 g
Keywords: socca pizza, farinata