Spicy candied cajun trail mix made easy in the instant pot! What’s not to love? This candied cajun trail mix is the perfect quick and healthy snack and total crowd pleaser. Cajun Spices, maple syrup, nuts, seeds, and chickpeas all cooked together then mixed with dried mango for a sweet touch. It’s vegan friendly and naturally grain free!
As I sit here writing this post I have a stash of cajun trail mix in the freezer. Yes, the freezer! My secret food hiding place. Can you believe that? In my mind, I think that I might not ever have this spicy goodness of snack again, so I sneak out a few servings and hide it from my spicy snack loving husband. Um, raise your hand if you have ever done that? I know I’m not alone here ya’ll. Ha, at least I hope not.
The truth is there is plenty of food to be shared and this Candied Chickpea Cajun Trail Mix is actually quite budget friendly and QUICK to make. So I’m not even sure why my brain tells me to hide all the snackage. LOL! I guess you could say that trail mix is the way to my heart. Oh and candied recipes, for sure. I covet thee!
But I’m learning. Learning that good healthy food can be made AGAIN in no time. Like 10 minutes! How? Oh you know where I’m going with this. Yes, it’s magic. Magic from the INSTANT POT ya’ll!
Instant pot oh Instant Pot…. where have you been all my life? I jumped on the bandwagon ya’ll. Can you blame me? Haha! For those of you have one, you know what I mean. Instant gratification, instant healthy meals, instant GOODNESS on your plate (and on the table) in a matter of minutes .
The Instant Pot is Programmable Pressure Cooker designed to speed up cooking times (safely) using up to 70% less energy! I also love that it has a smart cooking program settings! Each of those “smart” programs control the cooking process with four parameters: heating intensity, temperature, pressure and duration. Which means i don’t have to think about all that time/temperature accuracy. Another thing not to think about? Um, yes, needed. My brain could use a rest.
My taste buds, on the other hand, are ready to dive in.
Anyway, I just had to share about this new cooking toy ya’ll. And no, I wasn’t paid to say that. Realness chat. Plus you know I am all about sharing tools that will help us all eat REAL NOURISHING food in a convenient affordable way! Mr. Instant Pot is changing lives ya’ll, and for the better. And it definitely is changing my food hoarder tendencies. LOL! Phew!
Speaking of life changing moments. I guess I could (should) share what’s actually in this LIFE CHANGING Instant Pot Candied Chickpea Cajun Trail Mix.
Instant Pot Candied Chickpea Cajun Trail Mix
Spicy candied cajun trail mix made easy in the instant pot! The perfect quick and healthy snack. Vegan Option.
- * 1 1/2 cups raw pecans halves
- * 1 cup raw almonds
- * 1 cup or more (10 ounces) drained chickpeas
- * 1/3 - 1/2 cup cashews
- * 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- * 2-3 tbsp butter or non dairy (vegan) butter
- * optional tbsp of water
- * 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- * 1/2 to 1 tbsp spicy cajun seasoning or mix (you can also use use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp each of cayenne, garlic, onion powder, paprika, and pepper)
- * pinch of ground ginger
- * pinch of sea salt
- * 6 ounces regular dried mango or spicy chili dried mango to add after (if desired)
- Place all ingredients minus the butter into Instant Pot. Mix thoroughly.
- Saute with plastic spatula until butter is melted and nuts/ chickpeas are coated with the seasoning and maple syrup. If batter seems too sticky/thick once sautéing, add the 1 tbsp water.
- Switch to pressure cooker onto Manual cooking mode for 10 minutes.
- Use the Quick Release one timer is done.
- Remove from pot & spread the nut mix onto a lined cooking sheet. Bake on 375 7-10 minutes; turning nuts/seeds half way. Any longer might burn the nuts. The chickpeas will be a little less cooked but still tasty! See notes for other options.
- Remove from oven and Let cajun trail mix completely cool.
- Lastly, dice you mango into small pieces. Then add to your candied cajun trail mix and stir all together. It's easiest to this this in large ziplock or air tight container. If you are using plain dried mango, feel free to add more spices to the mix to coat.
- Store in air tight container. Makes 5 cups or so.
You can make this more paleo friendly but taking out the chickpeas.
If want crispier chickpeas, try adding in roasted chickpeas snacks after cooking, instead of cooking the canned.
Around 210 calories per serving. 12 grams fat 22 carbohydrates 3 grams fiber. 13 grams sugar 3.9 grams protein
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunchor hashtag #cottercrunch
Just simple ingredients. Chickpeas (of course), raw pecans halves, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, butter (or vegan butter), cajun spices (CAYENNE of course), maple syrup, ginger, a hint of lime, and then chili spiced dried mango. You’re ready to covet that too, right?
Sure you are. Spicy summer snacking. BRING IT ON!
If you have an instant pot, please share with me your favorite recipes! I’d love more.
Any cajun trail mix lovers out there? DO you hoard it? Yes you do!!! Totally fine by me!