Spicy candied cajun trail mix made easy in the instant pot! What’s not to love? This candied cajun trail mix is the perfect quick and healthy snack and total crowd pleaser. Cajun Spices, maple syrup, nuts, seeds, and chickpeas all cooked together then mixed with dried mango for a sweet touch. It’s vegan friendly and naturally grain free!
As I sit here writing this post I have a stash of cajun trail mix in the freezer. Yes, the freezer! My secret food hiding place. Can you believe that? In my mind, I think that I might not ever have this spicy goodness of snack again, so I sneak out a few servings and hide it from my spicy snack loving husband. Um, raise your hand if you have ever done that? I know I’m not alone here ya’ll. Ha, at least I hope not.
The truth is there is plenty of food to be shared and this Candied Chickpea Cajun Trail Mix is actually quite budget friendly and QUICK to make. So I’m not even sure why my brain tells me to hide all the snackage. LOL! I guess you could say that trail mix is the way to my heart. Oh and candied recipes, for sure. I covet thee!
But I’m learning. Learning that good healthy food can be made AGAIN in no time. Like 10 minutes! How? Oh you know where I’m going with this. Yes, it’s magic. Magic from the INSTANT POT ya’ll!
Instant pot oh Instant Pot…. where have you been all my life? I jumped on the bandwagon ya’ll. Can you blame me? Haha! For those of you have one, you know what I mean. Instant gratification, instant healthy meals, instant GOODNESS on your plate (and on the table) in a matter of minutes .
The Instant Pot is Programmable Pressure Cooker designed to speed up cooking times (safely) using up to 70% less energy! I also love that it has a smart cooking program settings! Each of those “smart” programs control the cooking process with four parameters: heating intensity, temperature, pressure and duration. Which means i don’t have to think about all that time/temperature accuracy. Another thing not to think about? Um, yes, needed. My brain could use a rest.
My taste buds, on the other hand, are ready to dive in.
Anyway, I just had to share about this new cooking toy ya’ll. And no, I wasn’t paid to say that. Realness chat. Plus you know I am all about sharing tools that will help us all eat REAL NOURISHING food in a convenient affordable way! Mr. Instant Pot is changing lives ya’ll, and for the better. And it definitely is changing my food hoarder tendencies. LOL! Phew!
Speaking of life changing moments. I guess I could (should) share what’s actually in this LIFE CHANGING Instant Pot Candied Chickpea Cajun Trail Mix.Print
Spicy cajun trail mix made easy in the instant pot! The perfect quick and healthy snack. Vegan Option.
- 1 1/2 cups raw pecans halves
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup or more (10 ounces) drained chickpeas
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2-3 tbsp butter or non dairy (vegan) butter
- 1 tbsp of water (optional)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp spicy cajun seasoning or mix (you can also use use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp each of cayenne, garlic, onion powder, paprika, and pepper)
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of sea salt
- 6 ounces regular dried mango or spicy chili dried mango to add after (if desired)
- Place all ingredients, minus the dried fruit, into Instant Pot. Mix thoroughly.
- Saute with plastic spatula until butter is melted and nuts/ chickpeas are coated with the seasoning and maple syrup. If batter seems too sticky/thick, once sautéing, add the 1-2 tbsp water.
- Switch pressure cooker to manual cooking mode for 10 minutes.
- Use the Quick Release once cooking is done.
- Remove from pot & spread the nut mix onto a lined cooking sheet. Bake at 375 F. for and extra 5-10 minutes; turning nuts/seeds halfway. This is to get it the trail mix extra crunchy! Cooking longer than 10 might burn the nuts. The chickpeas will be a little less cooked but still tasty! See notes for other options.
- Remove from oven and Let cajun trail mix completely cool.
- Lastly, dice mango into small pieces. Then add to trail mix and stir to combine. It’s easiest to do this this in large ziplock or air tight container. If you are using plain dried mango, feel free to add more spices to the mix to coat.
- Store in airtight container.
- You can make this more paleo friendly but taking out the chickpeas.
- For crispier chickpeas, try adding in roasted chickpeas snacks after cooking, instead of cooking canned chickpeas.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 210
- Sodium: 106.8mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 22.1g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 3.6mg
Keywords: instant pot trail mix, gluten free snacks, paleo snacks, candied chickpeas, cajun trail mix
Just simple ingredients. Chickpeas (of course), raw pecans halves, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, butter (or vegan butter), cajun spices (CAYENNE of course), maple syrup, ginger, a hint of lime, and then chili spiced dried mango. You’re ready to covet that too, right?
Sure you are. Spicy summer snacking. BRING IT ON!
If you have an instant pot, please share with me your favorite recipes! I’d love more.
Any cajun trail mix lovers out there? DO you hoard it? Yes you do!!! Totally fine by me!