Spicy cajun trail mix made easy in the instant pot! The perfect quick and healthy snack. Vegan Option.
- 1 1/2 cups raw pecans halves
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup or more (10 ounces) drained chickpeas
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2–3 tbsp butter or non dairy (vegan) butter
- 1 tbsp of water (optional)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp spicy cajun seasoning or mix (you can also use use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp each of cayenne, garlic, onion powder, paprika, and pepper)
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of sea salt
- 6 ounces regular dried mango or spicy chili dried mango to add after (if desired)
- Place all ingredients, minus the dried fruit, into Instant Pot. Mix thoroughly.
- Saute with plastic spatula until butter is melted and nuts/ chickpeas are coated with the seasoning and maple syrup. If batter seems too sticky/thick, once sautéing, add the 1-2 tbsp water.
- Switch pressure cooker to manual cooking mode for 10 minutes.
- Use the Quick Release once cooking is done.
- Remove from pot & spread the nut mix onto a lined cooking sheet. Bake at 375 F. for and extra 5-10 minutes; turning nuts/seeds halfway. This is to get it the trail mix extra crunchy! Cooking longer than 10 might burn the nuts. The chickpeas will be a little less cooked but still tasty! See notes for other options.
- Remove from oven and Let cajun trail mix completely cool.
- Lastly, dice mango into small pieces. Then add to trail mix and stir to combine. It’s easiest to do this this in large ziplock or air tight container. If you are using plain dried mango, feel free to add more spices to the mix to coat.
- Store in airtight container.
- You can make this more paleo friendly but taking out the chickpeas.
- For crispier chickpeas, try adding in roasted chickpeas snacks after cooking, instead of cooking canned chickpeas.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: snack
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 210
- Sodium: 106.8mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 22.1g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 3.6mg
Keywords: instant pot trail mix, gluten free snacks, paleo snacks, candied chickpeas, cajun trail mix