Crock Pot Chunky Monkey Paleo Trail Mix! A healthy, gluten-free trail mix that will definitely give you energy, whether actually on a trail or snacking on the go! This chunky monkey paleo trail mix recipe is one that you can make easy in a slow cooker! Mixed nuts combined with coconut sugar, coconut flakes, and butter toast perfectly in the crock pot to create a nutty sweet taste. Then combine with dark chocolate chips and banana chips! Make a big batch and enjoy.
Well friends, I don’t have any super duper nutrition tips or trend talk today. Will you miss it? Nah, I think all our brains work slower on Friday and Holiday weekends anyway. Oh summer, it wears me out and makes me hungry. Haha! But that’s okay, my need for a new “season” will restore that, along with some good FUEL. Did you know they call July the month of snacking?! Hence this EASY PEASY chunky monkey paleo trail mix. Yep, trail mix. The food you eat on the “trail” of life. Haha! Road trips, long flights (or flight mishaps), layovers, outdoor adventures, picnics, BBQ, fun in the sun all day, etc. Like whoa! FUEL me up with some major snackage for July!
Snackage. It’s my new favorite word. And it goes perfectly with words like chunky monkey. Wouldn’t you agree? Now I have you thinking about Ben and Jerry’s ice cream or ice cream in general, don’t I?
That is definitely where my inspiration for this paleo trail mix recipe comes from.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT CHUNKY MONKEY PALEO TRAIL MIX:
Come to think of it, does anybody really know where the name chunky monkey really came from?
Nope. Not Ben and Jerry. It was actually a cartoon character in 1973.
This is a tale about a monkey
who tipped the scale at one and twenty
(For a little monkey, that is plenty)
He was unhappy, it is true
Missed his mom and jungle jive
Ever since he did arrive — at the zoo
He overate to compensate
For things he missed (a long, long list)
You’ve found Chunky Monkey’s home base at the Silly Zoo!
Yes, you’re welcome. I just quoted magical poetry for you on a Friday!
Okay, about this paleo trail mix recipe.
Simple. All you need is a little real food ingredients to help make it naturally sweet. Coconut flakes, coconut sugar, nuts, unsweetened banana chips, dark chocolate, and either butter or coconut oil. See, it’s even vegan friendly! Cause that’s how chunky monkey rolls!
Did I mention it’s soooo amazing and smells unreal when you make it in crock pot (slow cooker)? Yes, it is! We gobbled up this Paleo trail mix it between travel, work, and everything in between!
It’s one of those handy dandy snacks that pretty much satisfies every craving.
Crunchy, sweet but also not too sweet, healthy fats to nourish, tons of potassium from the bananas, anti-oxidants in the dark chocolate, and well.. the perfect “snackage” for kids and adults alike! Speaking of kid friendly Chunky Monkey recipes, save these Chocolate Chunky Monkey Cookies from Go Dairy Free next! Gluten free, nut free, AMAZING, right?!
Enjoy this paleo trail mix recipe!
Crock Pot Chunky Monkey Paleo Trail Mix
Super easy and healthy chunky monkey crock pot paleo trial mix.
- 2 cup raw walnuts (halves or coursely chopped)
- 1 cup raw cashews halves or whole almonds work too)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (be sure to get big FLAKES not shredded)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1- 1.5 tbsp butter (cut in slices) or at room temp 2 to 3 tbsp coconut oil to make vegan
- 1 tsp vanilla or butter extract
- 6 ounces unsweetened banana chips or dried banana slices
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips or paleo fudge chunks (we used Enjoy life foods brand)
- parchment paper
- place your nuts, coconut, sugar, vanilla, and butter (slices) or coconut oil in crock pot. Mix together and place on high for 45- 60 minutes. Stir a few times checking to make sure coconut flakes do not burn. NOTE -Reduce to low after 45 minutes if flakes are cooking faster or browning.
- Then turn to low for the next 20-30 minutes.
- Remove and place crock pot contents on parchment paper to dry out. Be sure to let it cool for at least 15 minutes before adding the chocolate and banana.
- Add in your banana chips and chocolate chips and mix together.
- OPTION II cooking banana chips You can add in your unsweetened banana chips to cook with the nuts/coconut, instead of adding later. But you will need to stir often and cook only 45 minutes.
- Store in air tight container or ziplock bag
- See notes for lighter version
for vegans if you are using coconut oil, use 3 tbsp to start and then adjust half way to make sure all ingredients dissolve. You might need more or less.
To lighten up the sugar/calories, use Stevia baking sugar and 1/2 cup of dark chocolate.
Estimated Nutrition Per 1/4 to 1/3 cup serving:
250 to 260 Calories 20.2g Carbohydrate 18.6g to 22 grams Fiber 3.5g to 4 grams Sugars 12.5g to 13 grams Protein 4 to 5g
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunchor hashtag #cottercrunch
In all seriousness, if Chunky monkey had my chunky monkey crock pot Paleo trial mix, I think he’d would have to change his name lean machine monkey.
Cause this paleo trail mix is some MEGA fuel that will keep you energized and healthy.
Hint Hint.. you can add in almonds instead of cashews and cook your banana chips if desired. See recipe notes! It’s so delish!
Now I’ll hand you some with my chunky monkey hands. Okay those are my husband’s cute hands, not chunky. More like hunky. I’ll leave you with that. Corny Cotter moment.
Grab a bag and let’s fill it up. It’s going to be a snackin summer ya’ll!
Is your favorite Paleo trail mix or regular trail mix?
Have you ever made trail mix in a crock pot before?
Other Grain Free Trail Mix Recipes
Have a wonderful Independence Day Holiday weekend friends!