This trail mix recipe will definitely give you energy, whether actually on a trail or snacking on the go. A gluten-free and paleo trail mix that you can make easily in a slow cooker! The mixed nuts, coconut sugar, coconut flakes, and butter all toast perfectly in the crock pot, creating a nutty sweet taste. Dark chocolate chips and banana chips are stirred in to finish off this delicious treat! Make a big batch of Crock Pot Chunky Monkey Paleo Trail Mix and enjoy.
Well, friends, I don’t have any super duper nutrition tips or trend talk today. Will you miss it? Nah, I think all our brains work slower on Friday and Holiday weekends anyway. Oh summer, it wears me out and makes me hungry. Haha!
But that’s okay, my need for a new “season” will restore that, along with some good FUEL. Did you know they call July the month of snacking?! Hence this EASY PEASY chunky monkey paleo trail mix recipe.
Yep, trail mix. The food you eat on the “trail” of life. Haha! Road trips, long flights (or flight mishaps), layovers, outdoor adventures, picnics, BBQ, fun in the sun all day, etc. Like whoa! FUEL me up with some major snackage for July!
Snackage. It’s my new favorite word. And it goes perfectly with words like chunky monkey, wouldn’t you agree? Now I have you thinking about Ben and Jerry’s ice cream or ice cream in general, don’t I?
That is definitely where my inspiration for this paleo trail mix recipe comes from.
HOW TO MAKE THE CROCK POT CHUNKY MONKEY PALEO TRAIL MIX RECIPE:
Watch this quick video and you’ll get a healthy chunky monkey trail mix addiction!
What does Chunky Monkey mean, anyway?
Come to think of it, does anybody really know where the name chunky monkey really came from?
Nope, not Ben and Jerry. It was actually a cartoon character in 1973.
This is a tale about a monkey
who tipped the scale at one and twenty
(For a little monkey, that is plenty)
He was unhappy, it is true
Missed his mom and jungle jive
Ever since he did arrive — at the zoo
He overate to compensate
For things he missed (a long, long list)
You’ve found Chunky Monkey’s home base at the Silly Zoo!
Yes, you’re welcome. I just quoted magical poetry for you on a Friday!
Okay, about the paleo trail mix recipe ingredients…
Simple. All you need are a few real food ingredients to help make it naturally sweet.
- Coconut flakes,
- Coconut sugar
- Unsweetened banana chips
- Dark chocolate, and
- Butter or coconut oil
See, this crunchy trail mix is even vegan-friendly, because that’s how chunky monkey rolls!
Did I mention it’s soooo amazing and smells unreal when you make it in a crock pot (slow cooker)? Yes, it is! We gobbled up this Paleo trail mix during travel, work, and everything in between!
It’s one of those handy dandy snacks that pretty much satisfies every craving.
Crunchy, sweet but also not too sweet. Healthy fats to nourish, tons of potassium from the bananas, antioxidants in the dark chocolate, and well.. the perfect “snackage” for kids and adults alike! Speaking of kid-friendly, Chunky Monkey recipes definitely are! Make these Chocolate Chunky Monkey Cookies from Go Dairy Free next! Gluten free, nut free, AMAZING, right?!
Enjoy this paleo trail mix recipe!Print
This trail mix recipe will definitely give you energy, whether actually on a trail or snacking on the go. A gluten-free and paleo trail mix that you can make easily in a slow cooker!
- 2 cup raw walnuts (halves or coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup raw cashews halves or whole almonds work too)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (be sure to get big FLAKES not shredded)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1– 1.5 tbsp butter (cut in slices) or at room temp 2 to 3 tbsp coconut oil to make vegan
- 1 tsp vanilla or butter extract
- 6 ounces unsweetened banana chips or freeze dried banana slices
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips or paleo fudge chunks (we used Enjoy life foods brand)
- Place your nuts, coconut, sugar, vanilla, and butter slices or coconut oil in a crock pot. Mix together and place on high for 45- 60 minutes. Stir a few times checking to make sure coconut flakes do not burn. NOTE -Reduce to low after 45 minutes if flakes are cooking faster or browning.
- Turn to low and continue cooking for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove and place crock pot contents on parchment paper to dry out. Be sure to let it cool for at least 15 minutes before adding the chocolate and banana chips.
- Add in the banana chips and chocolate chips and mix together.
- OPTION – cooking banana chips – You can add in your unsweetened banana chips to cook with the nuts/coconut, instead of adding later. But you will need to stir often and cook only 45 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag
- See notes for lighter version
- for vegans – If you are using coconut oil, use 3 tbsp to start and then adjust halfway to make sure all ingredients dissolve. You might need more or less.
- To lighten up the sugar/calories, use Stevia baking sugar and 1/2 cup of dark chocolate.
- Category: snack
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 12.5g
- Carbohydrates: 18.6g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: trail mix recipe, chunky monkey, paleo snacks, slow cooker, crock pot recipe
In all seriousness, if Chunky Monkey had my chunky monkey crock pot Paleo trail mix, I think he would have to change his name to lean machine monkey.
Hint Hint.. you can add in almonds instead of cashews and cook your banana chips if desired. See recipe notes! It’s so delish!
Now I’ll hand you some with my chunky monkey hands. Okay, those are my husband’s cute hands, not chunky. More like hunky. I’ll leave you with that. Corny Cotter moment.
Grab a bag and let’s fill it up. It’s going to be a snackin summer ya’ll!
Is your favorite trail mix recipe paleo or regular trail mix?
Have you ever made trail mix in a crockpot before?
Other Grain-Free Trail Mix Recipes
Have a wonderful Independence Day Holiday weekend friends!
MORE SLOW COOKER & INSTANT POT RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our Best Slow Cooker Meal Prep and Instant Pot Recipes collection. Check it out!