Cheesy Roasted Hatch Green Chile Egg Casserole. Gluten Free, Grain free, high protein, and delicious!
- 2 Hatch Green Chile pepper (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 c chopped onion
- 10 –12 eggs (12 eggs is a little denser texture)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 c arrowroot flour (or potato starch). See notes for other options
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8 ounces (2 cans) chopped green chiles (mild or spicy).
- 6 ounces sliced artisan white cheese (We use Emmi Kaltbach Le Cremeux)
- 1 Sliced tomato plum tomato
- Optional gluten free chicken sausage and extra grated hard cheese for topping
- Cilantro and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to garnish
- NOTE: If you are roasting the green chile, you will want to follow the instructions below. Or you can use buy pre roasted.
- Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place your your Hatch green chile pepper on the the foil. Once the broiler is ready place peppers in oven and Broil 3-4 min each side. Or until skin in browned. Remove from oven, set aside.
- Turn the oven down to 350F.
- In a small pan, add 1 tsp oil and sauté your onion and spinach together on medium to medium until fragrant. About 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Now prepare your eggs. In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk on medium-high speed with an electric mixer until light and frothy. Add the flour (starch), baking powder, salt, garlic powder, pepper, cumin.
- Blend until just combined and smooth, around 30 seconds. Stir in the canned green chilies (8 ounces).
- Layer the bottom of 8×11 casserole dish with your cooked spinach and onion. See notes for other sizes of dishes.
- Then add a few slices of cheese, followed by the egg and green chile batter.
- Once cooled, peel the skin off the roasted hatch green chiles and slice length wise, removing the stem. Then layer the top of casserole with tomato, slices, sliced roasted Hatch Green Chiles, and more cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.Check casserole at 30 minutes. If the outside is brown but inside is still not set, cover and continue to bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. For crispy edges, broil last minute.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with extra cheese (see notes) , chili pepper flakes, and fresh cilantro. Optional salt/pepper to taste Serve or cover until ready to serve.
- If you want the casserole to be thicker, use an 8×11 pan; if you want a thinner casserole, use a 9×13.
- This egg casserole keeps well for 3 days covered in fridge. You can prepare the egg batter the night before as well. Then just layer with your vegetables and cheese before cooking.
- If you don’t want to roast Hatch Green Chiles, simply omit that ingredients or stir in an extra 1/4 cup of chopped green chiles.
- If you don’t have arrowroot starch, feel free to use a gluten free multipurpose flour.
Nutrition Tip: To reduce cholesterol, replace half the eggs with the equivalent egg whites. Baking times will vary, usually baking faster.
- Category: main, dinner, brunch
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 300mg
Keywords: roasted hatch green chile, egg casserole, gluten free, grain free, high protein