Roasted Hatch Green Chile egg casserole makes for a quick breakfast, lunch, or dinner! An egg casserole recipe with layers of green chiles, creamy artisan cheese, spinach, and other vegetables. It’s wholesome yet light and delicious! Grain free, gluten free, and easy to make.
It’s Hatch Green Chile Season. This means Hatch Green Chile Festivals take place and all over New Mexico and pretty much everywhere! People love their Hatch Green Chiles and a lot of stores roast them outside the store during the season. Our Harmon’s grocery store has the roaster going all day. Kinda smells like home sweet home.
Which is why I’m posting this baked eggs recipe today. Well, for two reasons really. I always have my reasons, don’t I?
Okay okay, first of all, I desperately needed to update my original hatch green chile casserole recipe. It needed a revamp. Don’t worry, it’s still good, but I wanted to upgrade a few tips, tricks, and grain free tweaking. So I took that oldie but goodie recipe and fine tuned it, making it more like one of my family’s favorite breakfast/brunch recipes. A cheese and egg souffle like breakfast casserole/ bake. But not just any cheese, the good artisan quality aged cheese y’all. Yes, the type of egg casserole that is so fluffy, cheesy, and delicious, you’ll want to eat it every morning. I’ll expand more on that in a minute.
And the second reason? Well, we are less than a month away from Fall y’all! What?! How in the world did that happen? But you know what? I say BRING IT ON! Bring on crisp air, the colors, and the aroma if something always cookin in the oven.
You feel me?
I mean, who doesn’t love walking into a home with a pot of chili on the stove? Or bread in the oven? Let’s just add this roasted hatch green chile egg casserole to that heavenly smell list. Gah! You’ll want to wake up to this everyday, as mentioned above. Just sayin.
Now, let’s discuss these layers upon layers in this egg casserole y’all.
Eggs, spinach, creamy Kaltbach Le Cremeux cheese (you know my love for Emmi Kaltbach Le Cremeux in grain free breakfast dished), garlic, onion, green chiles, and wait for it… Roasted HATCH Green CHILE! Basically a double dose of green chiles, two ways y’all.
Let me explain .
You can roast hatch green chiles to add to this egg casserole or you can use the canned version. You know me, we like spicy so I did both. Lol!
HOW TO MAKE THE ROASTED HATCH GREEN CHILE EGG CASSEROLE:
But y’all, the more green chile the merrier. Right? Roasting the hatch green chiles takes 5 minutes and creates a smokey kickin flavor to that cheesy egg casserole. Just make sure you add that extra creamy artisan cheese On top. It helps make the edges nice and crispy. I may be bias, but I think this dish has all the right textures.Print
Cheesy Roasted Hatch Green Chile Egg Casserole. Gluten Free, Grain free, high protein, and delicious!
- 2 Hatch Green Chile pepper (see notes for substitutes)
- 1 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 c chopped onion
- 10 –12 eggs (12 eggs is a little denser texture)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 c arrowroot flour (or potato starch). See notes for other options
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8 ounces (2 cans) chopped green chiles (mild or spicy).
- 6 ounces sliced artisan white cheese (We use Emmi Kaltbach Le Cremeux)
- 1 Sliced tomato plum tomato
- Optional gluten free chicken sausage and extra grated hard cheese for topping
- Cilantro and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to garnish
- NOTE: If you are roasting the green chile, you will want to follow the instructions below. Or you can use buy pre roasted.
- Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place your your Hatch green chile pepper on the the foil. Once the broiler is ready place peppers in oven and Broil 3-4 min each side. Or until skin in browned. Remove from oven, set aside.
- Turn the oven down to 350F.
- In a small pan, add 1 tsp oil and sauté your onion and spinach together on medium to medium until fragrant. About 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Now prepare your eggs. In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk on medium-high speed with an electric mixer until light and frothy. Add the flour (starch), baking powder, salt, garlic powder, pepper, cumin.
- Blend until just combined and smooth, around 30 seconds. Stir in the canned green chilies (8 ounces).
- Layer the bottom of 8×11 casserole dish with your cooked spinach and onion. See notes for other sizes of dishes.
- Then add a few slices of cheese, followed by the egg and green chile batter.
- Once cooled, peel the skin off the roasted hatch green chiles and slice length wise, removing the stem. Then layer the top of casserole with tomato, slices, sliced roasted Hatch Green Chiles, and more cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.Check casserole at 30 minutes. If the outside is brown but inside is still not set, cover and continue to bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. For crispy edges, broil last minute.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with extra cheese (see notes) , chili pepper flakes, and fresh cilantro. Optional salt/pepper to taste Serve or cover until ready to serve.
- If you want the casserole to be thicker, use an 8×11 pan; if you want a thinner casserole, use a 9×13.
- This egg casserole keeps well for 3 days covered in fridge. You can prepare the egg batter the night before as well. Then just layer with your vegetables and cheese before cooking.
- If you don’t want to roast Hatch Green Chiles, simply omit that ingredients or stir in an extra 1/4 cup of chopped green chiles.
- If you don’t have arrowroot starch, feel free to use a gluten free multipurpose flour.
Nutrition Tip: To reduce cholesterol, replace half the eggs with the equivalent egg whites. Baking times will vary, usually baking faster.
- Category: main, dinner, brunch
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 300mg
Keywords: roasted hatch green chile, egg casserole, gluten free, grain free, high protein
I should also note that you can can kill two birds with one stone with your shopping list here. Harmon’s not only roasts the Green Chiles for you, but they also now carry Emmi Kaltbach Le Crémeux That’s my free local tip for you if you live in Utah, mmm k?
Okay. I spent way too much time talking about my love for an egg casserole. I think I needed to talk out my feelings in food form. If you get what I’m saying.
Needed. That is all.
Ps I turn in my final edits for the cookbook manuscript and photos today. I’ll be devouring this goodness a sigh of relief tomorrow morning. At least it’s low carb right? Lol.
Thanks for putting up with my crazy Cotter humor today y’all. I promise to be back to normal next month. Capeesh?