This Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup uses simple, pantry staple ingredients for the ultimate family-friendly comfort food! Fresh veggies combined with herbs and spices, a savory broth, and tender gluten-free noodles. Cooked in the crockpot, it requires minimal prep work for a satisfying dinner that will be waiting for you when you come home. Pair it with gluten-free crackers, rolls, and more! Dairy-free-friendly.
Why You’ll Love This Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup
Everyone loves a big bowl of chicken noodle soup! After all, it’s the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter day or overcome a pesky cold. However, when food allergies are involved, it’s not always a great option to have on the menu….until now!
We took the classic recipe and gave it an allergy-friendly twist making it gluten-free and dairy-free-friendly to fit a variety of dietary needs. As if that wasn’t exciting enough, this gluten-free chicken noodle soup is also:
- Made in the crockpot for an easy meal.
- Full of protein, fiber, and nutrients thanks to the shredded chicken, herbs and spices, and fresh veggies.
- The perfect option for feeding a crowd.
- Great for easy batch cooking or meal prep you can enjoy all week.
Basic Ingredients & Easy Substitutions
For this easy crockpot chicken noodle soup, we used all the traditional ingredients you expect to see. However, we made just a few swaps to make it a little more allergy-friendly. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Butter or Pure Olive Oil – This helps sauté the vegetables, enhancing their flavor for a rich soup base.
Note: Make sure you use pure or light olive oil and not extra virgin olive oil as it has a low smoke point and neutral flavor that doesn’t overwhelm the rest of the ingredients.
- Vegetables – Onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and peas are included for an easy crockpot chicken noodle soup you can feel good about.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast – Raw or pre-cooked chicken can be used.
- Gluten-Free, Soy-Free Bouillon – This helps add depth to the flavor of the broth. volume to the broth without diluting the flavor. If preferred, vegetable broth can be used in its place.
- Chicken Broth – Used for the base of the broth.
- Coconut Aminos or Gluten-Free Tamari – Technically optional but highly recommended, this adds depth to the flavor of the soup, making it way better than anything you’ll find in the store.
- Herbs and Spices – A combination of dried thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper is used for a savory taste.
- Gluten-Free Noodles – We prefer to use DeLallo gluten-free noodles as they hold up well.
How to Make Easy Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Once you see how easy and hands-free this gluten-free chicken noodle soup is to make, you’ll never go back to stovetop versions again! Here’s what to do:
- Sauté. Heat the butter or oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once it has melted, add the onion, garlic, and celery, and sauté until the onion has softened and the ingredients are fragrant. Transfer the veggies to the crockpot.
- Add the Chicken. If you’re using raw chicken, add more butter or oil to the skillet, sear it until it is golden brown on each side, set aside.
Note: If you’re using leftover, cooked chicken, add the water, broth, bouillon, and spices to the slow cooker. Cover, and cook on high for 45 minutes or low for 90 minutes, stirring halfway through. Then, add the pre-cooked chicken and peas, cover, and continue to cook for 20 minutes. Add the pasta during the last 10 – 15 minutes of cooking, and stir to combine.
- Cook. Add the water, broth, bouillon, carrots, and spices to the crockpot then place the seared chicken on top. Cover, and cook on high, stirring halfway through.
- Shred. Remove the chicken from the crockpot, and shred it with two forks. Discard the bay leaf, and return the chicken to the crockpot.
- Combine and Cook. Add the gluten-free noodles and peas, mixing to combine. Cover the pot again, and continue to cook until the noodles are al dente.
- Serve. Give the crockpot chicken noodle soup a taste test, adjust the seasonings as needed, and enjoy!
Pro-Tip: Be careful not to leave your gluten-free noodles in the crockpot too long, or they may start to become a bit mushy which is never ideal! If you’re planning on letting your soup sit for an extended period of time or want to prepare it in advance, we recommend cooking the noodles separately and adding them to your soup for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Of course, you could serve this crockpot gluten-free chicken noodle soup on its own for a filling meal. However, we can never say no to a good side! If you feel the same, try serving it with options like:
Common Questions About Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup
Yes, once cooked and cooled completely, leftovers can be transferred to an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. You may need to add an extra splash of broth to freshen it back up when you’re ready to eat, but it’ll taste good as new!
Yes, you can freeze this easy crockpot chicken noodle soup for up to 3 months. However, we recommend omitting the noodles if you plan to freeze this recipe as they will not thaw well.
We prefer to use DeLallo gluten-free brown rice pasta, but most gluten-free pasta or noodles will work with this recipe. For the best results, we recommend using a rice flour based pasta. However, it’s important to note that cooking times will vary depending on the type of pasta used. In addition, we recommend avoiding pasta made with quinoa flour, lentils, or chickpeas as they tend to fall apart in the crockpot more easily.
More of Our Favorite
Gluten-Free Soup Recipes
Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Yield: 4–5 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
This Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup uses simple, pantry staple ingredients for the ultimate family-friendly comfort food! Dairy-Free-Friendly.
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons butter or light olive oil, divided
- ⅔ cup chopped onion or 1 small yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 ½ cups chopped celery
- 1 pound skinless chicken breast (see notes for precooked option)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups water plus equivalent bouillon (vegetable broth can be substituted)
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos or gluten-free tamari
- ½ Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 to 12 ounces gluten-free noodles (see notes)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- Garnish – chopped parsley
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery and sauté until fragrant and onion is softened or about 3 minutes. Transfer the onion, garlic, and celery to the crockpot.
- Add additional butter to coat the large skillet, if needed. Sear/brown the chicken breast 3 minutes on each side.
- Place the browned chicken breast in the crockpot with the sautéed veggies. Add the carrots, water, bouillon, broth, coconut aminos, dried thyme, bay leaf, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Cook on HIGH for 90 minutes or LOW 3 to 4 hours, stirring halfway to mix the bouillon.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Discard the bay leaf. Return the chicken to the crockpot and add the noodles and peas. Mix thoroughly.
- Cook on LOW, covered, until pasta is al dente or 15 to 25 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and additional salt and pepper, to taste, and top with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Cooking Tips – Do not leave the gluten-free noodles/pasta in the crockpot too long as they can become mushy depending on the type of pasta. Another option would be to cook the pasta separately and add it to the crockpot the last 5 minutes of cooking on LOW. Using bouillon adds more depth of flavor to the soup than using only chicken or vegetable broth.
We prefer to use DeLallo gluten-free noodles as they hold up well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 478.7 mg
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.3 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 27.2 g
- Cholesterol: 66.3 mg
Keywords: chicken noodle soup, gluten-free soup, gluten-free chicken noodle soup, soup, comfort food, crockpot, slow cooker
Do you have questions, feedback, or tips about this recipe? Leave a comment below with any questions or feedback you’d like to share!
Rate & Comment