This Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup uses simple, pantry staple ingredients for the ultimate family-friendly comfort food! Dairy-Free-Friendly.
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons butter or light olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup chopped onion or 1 small yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 pound skinless chicken breast (see notes for precooked option)
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups water plus equivalent bouillon (vegetable broth can be substituted)
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos or gluten-free tamari
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 to 12 ounces gluten-free noodles (see notes)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- Garnish – chopped parsley
- Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery and sauté until fragrant and onion is softened or about 3 minutes. Transfer the onion, garlic, and celery to the crockpot.
- Add additional butter to coat the large skillet, if needed. Sear/brown the chicken breast 3 minutes on each side.
- Place the browned chicken breast in the crockpot with the sautéed veggies. Add the carrots, water, bouillon, broth, coconut aminos, dried thyme, bay leaf, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Cook on HIGH for 90 minutes or LOW 3 to 4 hours, stirring halfway to mix the bouillon.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Discard the bay leaf. Return the chicken to the crockpot and add the noodles and peas. Mix thoroughly.
- Cook on LOW, covered, until pasta is al dente or 15 to 25 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and additional salt and pepper, to taste, and top with fresh parsley, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Cooking Tips – Do not leave the gluten-free noodles/pasta in the crockpot too long as they can become mushy depending on the type of pasta. Another option would be to cook the pasta separately and add it to the crockpot the last 5 minutes of cooking on LOW. Using bouillon adds more depth of flavor to the soup than using only chicken or vegetable broth.
We prefer to use DeLallo gluten-free noodles as they hold up well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Crockpot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 478.7 mg
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.3 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 27.2 g
- Cholesterol: 66.3 mg
Keywords: chicken noodle soup, gluten-free soup, gluten-free chicken noodle soup, soup, comfort food, crockpot, slow cooker