Freezer meals can be a busy person’s best friend, especially when those meals include healthy, delicious eggs! This gluten-free meal plan is packed to the brim with egg recipes and a grocery shopping list. We have dairy-free options, too.
This freezer meals meal plan post is sponsored by our friends at Eggland’s Best. Thank you for supporting the brands that allow me to keep cranking new recipes out of the Cotter kitchen!
Freezer meals to the rescue!! And to cool you off on this almost summer day. Right? But really, freezer meals are the long term goals of meal prepping. Wouldn’t you agree? And I have to admit, I have been LOVING them! In fact, I bought a stand alone mini freezer off of craigslist just for this purpose. Oh so handy dandy!
So let’s talk about freezer meals and gluten free foods you can, in fact, freeze. I bet you didn’t know you could freeze eggs, raw and cooked eggs. Not to be confused with reproductive kind. By the way, don’t google that, you’ll get sucked into a scientific funnel. But I digress. Freezing cooked eggs for meal prep breakfasts and/or vegetarian casseroles are such time savers. Plus, it’s a sure fire way to have a nutritional meal ready to serve to your family!
Pinnable and Printable Freezing cooked eggs/raw eggs graphic below!
TIPS for freezing cooked eggs and raw eggs
Our friends at Eggland’s Best have put together some answers to some commonly asked questions about freezing eggs.
Can you freeze raw eggs?
Yes, eggs can be frozen, but not while they’re still in the shell. Here’s how:
- Crack the eggs into a bowl.
- Use a whisk to beat them until they’re just blended – you don’t want them frothy.
- Store in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
- Three tablespoons of thawed eggs equals approximately one fresh egg.
FREEZING raw egg yolks – egg yolks can be frozen individually. Try freezing them in ice cube trays, like egg whites. Once frozen in an ice tray, transfer to ziplock bag. To reuse, thaw overnight in the refrigerator (source).
Can you freeze cooked eggs?
Yes! Not only is it possible to freeze cooked eggs, but it’s also great for meal prepping! Here’s how:
- Allow cooked eggs to cool to room temperature.
- Divide into plastic freezer bags and/or freezer-safe containers. Remove as much air as possible from the bag/container.
- The night before you want to serve them, transfer the container to the fridge so they can thaw overnight.
- Reheat in a skillet or in a microwave for an easy breakfast on the go!
What about egg whites, scrambled eggs, and egg casseroles?
Yep! You can freeze scrambled eggs, too! Just be sure to cook them a little on the runny side so that when you reheat them, they won’t overcook and become rubbery. We love egg casseroles and egg bakes for this very reason.
You can freeze an entire casserole, or separate it into portions. Simply thaw in a fridge or microwave, then reheat in the oven. That’s my preferred way.
Hard boiled eggs – Can be frozen but will not taste good due to excess water.
Eggs in the shell? Nope. Let’s not ruin those tasty eggs!
Alright friends, now that we know how to freeze those eggs (chicken eggs), let’s get the rest of the freezer meals. All of these freezer meals are gluten free and dairy free friendly. I’m also sharing a few extra freezer tips on how to store them as well. The grocery list is at the bottom and so is a printable PDF version of all the recipes included in this meal plan. See, super cool, eh? Pun intended. 🙂
Freezer Meals Meal Plan
All of these recipes for freezer meals call for eggs in one fashion or another. It doesn’t matter if you’re enjoying them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner; eggs are where it’s at!
- Turmeric Oven-Scrambled Eggs – TIP: Freeze the cooked scrambled eggs in glass meal prep containers, then all you have to do is reheat in oven or defrost in microwave. These are the containers I use. LOVE THEM! Whole 30 friendly.
- 3-Ingredient Paleo Waffles – Tip– This waffle batter can also double as pancakes! I store mine in freezer friendly parchment paper or foil so that I can simply pop in the oven to reheat when ready. These waffles last up to 6 months in the freezer, no prob!
- Mexican Veggie Egg Casserole – This dish makes a great brunch or brinner. I love using these freezer friendly casserole dishes to bake it in. Also, vegan cheese can be used in the place of the real cheese but I’m not sure how the vegan cheese would thaw out after freezing it. Low carb, grain free.
Freezer Meals for Lunch
Note – Most of these lunch meals last 2-3 months in the freezer.
- Broccoli Arugula Pesto Pasta – Vegan friendly! Tip: you can freeze the pesto and use it on several other dishes too!
- Za’atar Chicken Meal Prep Bowls- Tip: Make the cucumber Raita later, before you serve. It takes all of 2 minutes to make, promise. Although the chicken by itself is pretty darn tasty! Low carb, grain free
- Salmon Cakes or Cod Cakes – One of my favorite freezer meals to make for meal prep. They also come in handy when you’re needing a last minute appetizer. Serve them with your favorite dip or you can pop them on mini toasted gluten free buns for seafood sliders! Whole 30 options!
- Chinese Fried Cauliflower Rice Casserole – Super easy to freeze and reheat. You can also add cooked chicken sausage to bump up the protein (low carb, grain free, dairy free)
- Honey Cilantro Baked Shrimp – Tip – Leave the shell on when freezing. It helps to keep the flavor of the shrimp!
- Better for You BBQ Meatloaf – This is my go-to freezer meal when feeding my family. Hello, I have three brothers. They love meat! Meal Prep Tip – You can bake this meatloaf in muffin pans and freeze as mini meatloaf muffins. Add the sauce after thawing.
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Rice Risotto – Notes for freezing cauliflower rice on the blog post! You’ll want to check that out. 😉 Grain free, low carb.
While it IS possible to eat eggs for dessert, I prefer to use the eggs to make these healthy treats instead.
NOTE – The muffins and bars usually last 3-4 months in the freezer.
- Flourless Banana Bread Bars – Kid-friendly snacks and breakfast on the go! A must have in our freezer.
- Paleo Almond Butter Jelly Bars – These are paleo friendly and made with Whole 30 friendly ingredients. Like Lara bars, but WAY better. Just saying.
- Paleo Toasted Coconut Muffins – I love having these ready to reheat in the oven for when you need a good brunch item.
- How to Freeze Herbs | DIY flavored broth cubes | Herbed Salts All of these herbs and condiments last for months on end! Tip – The herbs salts make a great gift, plus it’s great on EGGS or for seasoning fish.
- Chocolate Coconut Protein Balls — Keto friendly for those looking to reduce sugar/insulin levels. Also, they last for MONTHS in the freezer!
Phew! I think I covered it all. Now to bust out the grocery list and get to work!
Freezer Meals Meal Plan Grocery Shopping List
Here’s the Grocery list. Save on Pinterest or download the PDF version here.
Get the printable PDF version of all the recipes included in this meal plan here.
Do you have any go to freezer meals? Do share! And please, feel free to ask any questions about freezer meals, freezing cooked eggs/raw eggs, etc. in the comments below.
Cool? Haha, sorry, just had to finish with another pun.