Fitness Friday: Traveler’s Circuit

by lindsay cotter on December 23, 2011

travel

This poster pretty much sums up the last 24 hours of our travel. We just finished driving from the South Island to the very tip of the North Island into Tauranga (Bay of Plenty). The journey was rather “unique” you might say. Thirteen hours in the car, one mother in law in the back, and a delayed 4-5 hour ferry ride across the Marlborough sounds.

DSC02532.JPG

o-matic

But we made it! We got in around 1am after leaving Christchurch at 7:30am. Actually, I am pretty amazed we made it in our little Honda. The hubs is a trooper for driving a stick shift through all the winding roads and hills, especially in the dark and raining. Yes, I was a bit nervous at that point!

Here’s a quick look at our adventure summed up in a 1 minute video.

Anyway, today is a new day and my legs were in need of some circulation after sitting in the car for 15 hours.  Ever have a case of Traveler’s legs? I do! I’ve got the worst circulation in the world, even with compression socks. In order to get some blood flow to my legs, I ventured out on the roads with a Travelers Circuit.

Traveler’s Circuit

Warm up with 1 minute of Sun Salutations

light jog for 1 minute

Faster run for 1 minute

walking lunges for 1 minute

Dive-bomber pushups for 1 minute

repeat 8x

Cool down with 1 minute Sun Salutations

Simple enough, yes! Works out the kinks? YES!!

Okay, I need a big time sleep now.

What’s your go to workout post Road Trip?

12/23 Earthquake Update: As you can see, we are very fortunate to have just missed the  6.0 Earthquake in Christchurch yesterday.  I am pretty sure God had an angel watching over us. Some damage, no state of emergency though. Just a lot of people a bit shookin up again, including some of our family. Thank you for your prayers and please continue to pray for the heart and soul of Christchurch.

Cort The Sport December 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

great video!! that was a long day of travel!! that’s some pretty good dedication to top it off with a workout and not a nap and glass of wine! Scary about the earthquake, glad everyone is OK. Let’s hope that is the last of it for a good long while.

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 5:12 pm

yes, that seems about right. But i did have a glass later. hehe.
Glad we are safe too! Just praying for Christchurch now. Scary for them!

Jess December 23, 2011 at 11:21 am

I’m still so amazed that you missed that earthquake by one day. God works in such incredible ways. Love you!

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 5:11 pm

oh me too friend! shows how much God is in control, eh? xoxo
Love you!

lauren@spicedplate December 23, 2011 at 11:38 am

I might do this when I’m at my in-laws (a mere 3 /12 hour drive) over the holidays…what a long journey you had! I’m glad the earthquake didn’t get you guys…sending love and holiday wishes your way.

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm

you should! let me know if you and do and how your legs feel after. Best of luck at the in-laws too! ;)

katie December 23, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I am SO grateful you guys missed the earthquake too, but sending love and prayers and hope nobody was hurt.

Wow that is a long and fun drive, haha! Maybe some wine for you?

Happy Holidays! xoxo <3

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

yes, me too! Thankful we are all safe.

and i definitely had a glass of wine on the ferry. :P

Alexandra December 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh my word I’m so thankful yall missed that quake! God sure works in mysterious ways, hope no one was majorly hurt. Sending prayers for them asap!

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 5:00 pm

girl i was just thinking that. God is good! i was praying for safety just before we left too!

jobo December 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Oh man, I had no idea there was another earthquake. God was certainly watching over you and your family!! The pictures and video are gorgeous, looks like the trip was worth it :)

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I know, God really had us in his hands. WOW!!

The drive was long but GORGEOUS indeed. HUGS to you and M!

Heather @ Better With Veggies December 23, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Wow – so glad you weren’t there for the earthquake and that everyone is safe! 15 hours in the car doesn’t sound fun either – I have 10 hours to “look forward” to tomorrow, ick. Love the circuit workout you did after that trip. I’m thinking a short run may be what I’ll be craving after tomorrow.

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:58 pm

best of luck with your 10! the circuit really did help. And thank you for checking in on us. So glad we are safe!

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense December 23, 2011 at 2:54 pm

So grateful that you missed the quake… it brings back memories of the 6.7 quake we had in 1994 (Northridge, CA). It was so scary!
Sending prayers to the people that experienced the most recent earthquake!

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:57 pm

yes, it was around a 6 too! Nothing compared to the 9.0 last february though. Prayers are always good, thank you Lisa.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Oh my goodness, I’m glad you all are ok! I’m thinking about all that are suffering from this.

I’m glad you made it to the destination. Sounds like an interesting trip. I always need to get moving after a trip like that. Walking is my go to workout after riding for any length of time. Enjoy your stay!xoxo

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I know i know, my heart aches for this little town. So thankful everyone is okay!

Thank you for checking in. Hope you are the boys are having a good holiday! Sorry I just missed your FB message. Bad reception here.

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Oooooo my goodness…the big guy was sure watching over you and set the plan for you to be out of town during that craziness. WOW! I love reading how things fall into place perfectly. I feel sad for the whole being of Christchurch, but soooo happy to hear you guys are ok :)

What a fun and LONG day you guys had! I love hearing it was a good time!

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Yes, big guy was on our side for sure. Phew! Thanks for checking in on us. poor Christchurch. Scary for them.

Klh December 23, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I had no clue there was another earthquake. Glad y’all missed it but thinking of the others!
The video was fun and that second picture is amazing! So pretty there!

I need to make you a new video :)

Miss you <3

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I know, crazy?! I miss you and I do need a video. And maybe some “bug” face. hehe.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 23, 2011 at 3:38 pm

love the looks of your workout! and i’m so glad you guys are safe from the earthquake. you’re right, God was watching over you!

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm

thank you Ash, so thankful for those angels!

Allie December 23, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I’m glad to hear you guys are safe and sound<3

The Hubs is a trooper for driving stick! Wowza!

Awesome circuit Mrs. Cotter ;) you are so creative!

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Yes, God is watching over us, thats for sure! Happy Holidays friend. Hug your family!

katie @KatieDid December 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Have a great trip/ vacation/ holiday. Sounds like you are in a beautiful location with family, what more could you ask for.

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:44 pm

yes, very surreal too. Must stop and take it all in moment by moment. Very thankful!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food December 23, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Glad you made it to your destination safely!!

Definitely praying for Christchurch!

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm

yes, i was shocked because we were just saying how We had been so lucky to miss any earthqaukes yet. Crazy!

Missy December 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm

You do have angels!

And wow…NZ is SO beautiful.
Merry Christmas!

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:38 pm

no kidding! He is SO in control!!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers December 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I’m sad the earthquake occurred, but I’m happy it missed you.

I’d be soooo carsick on those roads. Bleh

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 4:43 pm

oh you and me both friend. Thanks for checking in on us. xoxo

Emz December 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Im getting my news from you. Hadn’t heard about the earthquake. Crazy.
Those roads I know them well & feel for you in a stick drive car.

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm

yes, crazy news isn’t it?! Just thankful God is watching over us all. Prayers for Christchurch too!

Dorry December 23, 2011 at 5:24 pm

So glad y’all made it safely, and sending my prayers to those affected by the earthquake. Thankful there’s no state of emergency this time. I miss you, and thinking about you all the time!

LCCotter December 23, 2011 at 6:09 pm

me too friend! thank you for checking in. I miss you so much! Lets skype soon, please.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner December 23, 2011 at 7:01 pm

So glad that you guys were alright! That is a long road trip, I bet the workout felt fantastic the next day for a nice way to stretch out!

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 12:27 am

it was fantastic after, haha. Thanks for checking in friend.

She Rocks Fitness December 23, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I honestly usually plan a rest day when going on road trips! The trips usually involve getting up way too early, my body is already tired, and sometimes I just go with the flow and take a long nap…hey it’s usually vacation, so why not? ;) Happy Friday! xoxo

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 12:29 am

oh i didn’t do this after we drove, haha i would be useless. Just got up the next day and did it. And still, my legs felt like led. haha. Speaking of naps, i might need one now. ;)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness December 23, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Love road trips – and love Tauranga, it’s so pretty there! I love walking aruond the Mount, and the beach is beautiful :-) Soooooo so glad you were out of ChCh when the earthquakes struck today – thank goodness, they were big ones! <3 Much love and merry christmas! xyx

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 12:31 am

oh yes, the mount! gorgeous!! Just left there.

There’s been more earthquakes today. Keep ChCh in your prayers.

teabagginit December 23, 2011 at 7:56 pm

as usualy, those pictures are amazing and that workout is going in my “workout” folder … increasingly being populated by workouts from you! :)
my post road-trip workout depends on if i’m coming home or arriving at a destination: if it’s home then my workout involves unpacking and nosedive into bed. if it’s destination then my workout is a long walk and sight seeing! :)

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 12:32 am

yes, that is a great way to stretch those legs out. We acutally did that today! feels so good. ;)

Rach December 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I’m so glad you guys are safe! One of my best friends from high school lives in Christchurch and I was so happy to hear that he and his wife are fine. All these earth quakes sure are scary!

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 12:34 am

oh good! glad to hear. Who is your friend? I will need to ring them and say hello when we return next month.

misszippy December 23, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I didn’t even know there was another earthquake! So glad it wasn’t too bad and that you and yours are ok.

Wow, that picture is beautiful! Enjoy your time, after some sleep!

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 12:33 am

yes, crazy i know! we just missed several by one day. Thankful for safety. :)

Lou December 23, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Man, someone was watching over BOTH of us… we just made it out (quite weird as it’s the 3rd time we have missed a big quake by a whisker) So lucky for us, as they closed the airport too, so we may have been stuck.

Hooray for arriving in one piece – big car journeys do suck, but once you are there you forget about the long hours of travelling.

Enjoy up North, I am excited to read about your adventures!

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 12:32 am

friend I am so glad you and misty are ok. How is your family? Hope they are all okay too! thinking of you.

Lou December 24, 2011 at 2:01 am

Family all OK – just shaken up, ya know? Man, Christchurch has had a bad run…. too much stress for one lil city to take. Right on Xmas too, Mother Nature has really got a thing with her timing. Boo. Glad you guys are safe and well up North – enjoy stable ground x

Kelly December 23, 2011 at 10:06 pm

As soon as I saw the news I immedialtely thought of you! I am so glad you guys were safe!

kalli December 23, 2011 at 10:32 pm

thank you for the update about the earthquake! glad you guys are okay and love the video……

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 12:35 am

me too. Such a close call. Hope you guys are enjoying holiday! Thanks for always checking in Kalli.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) December 24, 2011 at 12:39 am

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, Lindsay! :)

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 3:54 am

you too friend! i can’t wait to see all the delicious food you will be making with your family. :P

The Hippie Health Nut December 24, 2011 at 1:05 am

Beautiful photos and video! After that long in a car/ferry, all I’d wanna do is walk. Sending prayers!

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 3:54 am

me too! i could have walked miles at that point, haha. Thank you for prayers. Means a lot!
xoxo

Pure2raw Twins December 24, 2011 at 3:01 am

love the photos and cute video ;)
we love doing yoga or just doing some push-ups after a road trip to get the blood moving some!
HUGS
and Happy Holidays!!

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 3:55 am

oh i needed yoga too! totally forgot my yoga dvd. Argh!
Hugs to you both.
xoxo

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run December 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I wish I could print this and bring along with me next time I travel! Love that it ends with Sun Salutations, too ;)

Glad you guys made it safely!!

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm

i thought you might like that! good stuff too. Enjoy your solo xmas eve with D! snuggle!

Heather (Where's the Beach) December 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Ouch, that’s a long time in a car. I always want to get moving after sitting for so long. Typically it’s either a walk on the beach (because if we’re driving for a long time it’s usually vacay to the beach) or a run. Merry Christmas!

LCCotter December 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm

and my legs felt like led too! but after that little workout the next day, all is good! merry christmas friend.

Lauren December 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I’m glad to hear you are safe and sound! It’s such a shame for all of those people to be shaken up around the holidays. :-( As if they aren’t hectic enough. I’m just glad you’re okay! Merry Christmas Eve :)

LCCotter December 25, 2011 at 8:05 am

i know, its terrible. This little town has been through so much already. But they keep getting stronger! Praying for safety for us all. Merry Christmas Lauren.

jane December 25, 2011 at 3:32 am

Hi Lindsay, question for u. I’m underweight and have taken to nightly binging :( (like 1000 cals at 11 pm at night)…i feel lousy (i end up constipated the next day and have severe gas and air trapped in my body) …i only walk daily and i do some pushups and stuff on odd days…i feel awful…i don’t know how to stop…and the day after a binge,,what is a good breakfast (i always end up constipaed and bloated and stuff with these binges)…the next day is so hard…i don’t know how to eat
i know u r underweight too , but exercising…i’m really confused lindsay and need a set meal plan to follow – its like i feel guilty for anything because I can’t burn it off – but i HAve TO start gaining nOW…this is a terrible situation…let me know if you have ANY help..i’m desperate :(