Gluten Free Grilled Cheese with fresh cherries, basil, and provolone cheese is a healthy “gourmet” recovery meal, with good carbs, protein, fats and anti-inflammatory rich nutrients. A fun twist on the original grilled cheese sandwich. Your whole family will love this gluten free grilled cheese sandwich recipe, kids included! Even better in a cast iron skillet! Now get grillin!
Nutrition is always a hot topic these days, isn’t it? We’re get bombarded with fad diets and what NOT to eat. Ugh, I cringe.
Ever since I started to eat a gluten free diet (7 years ago), I’ve never looked at food and nutrition quite the same. And being married to a professional athlete for the past 8 years, food has never been “just food.”
Food has been fuel. Food has been nourishment. Food has been a source of CALORIES when needed. Food has been giving us the energy to do what we do, simple as that. There have been times when we focused on eating less of this or that, but I’d say our real MAIN health goal is to focus on what can we ADD to our diets in order to thrive and recover properly.
It makes more sense, don’t you think? To focus on what KEY nutrients that are freakin fabulous instead of what type of diet might or might not be good/bad? Because let’s face it, we are all different and our body’s needs can change each day.
That being said, let’s talk recovery food —> FOR ANYONE, whether you are an endurance athlete, weight lifter, runner, every day fitness lover, or cross fitter. We all need a good recovery meal to replenish those muscles. Well today I have a delicious gluten free grilled cheese sandwich recipe that involves a FABULOUS food to speed up that recovery time!
CHERRIES (and cheese)!
Tart cherries contain high levels of plant polyphenolic compounds such as anthocyanins (the kind that give it it’s deep red color). These compounds are believed to provide mega anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, which in return can help fight oxidative stress brought on by intense exercise, long runs, etc. Yep, that kind, the kind that makes your muscles sore and stiff. In fact, research and shown that drinking or eating tart cherry juice after races or intense strength sessions (on a weekly basis) can speed up recovery and reduce the amount of muscle damage. Heck ya! source
That being said, I just had to ADD this powerful food to our one of our favorite post workout meals -> the beloved GRILLED cheese.
How this gluten free grilled cheese sandwich helps with recovery:
- Cherries – anti-inflammatory and reduce muscle soreness
- Gluten free chia bread (udis) – Restore glycogen in the muscles
- Provolone cheese – Calcium and Protein for bones and muscle repair
- Basil – this delicious herb also has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, so great for immunity.
- BONUS –> grill/cook a cast iron skillet to get in more MINERALS!
Side note– the basil really helps balance out the tartness of the cherries in combination with the provolone. It’s amazing, I promise!Print
Cherry Basil Provolone Gluten Free Grilled Cheese
- 2 pieces of gluten free bread
- 2 oz provolone
- butter or coconut butter
- 1/3 cup sliced or chopped berries
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- first butter your bread. Lay flat then place 1 oz (slice) provolone on each piece of bread. Top one side with the cherries and basil. Season with a dash of pepper. Place other bread on top.
- Next, warm your skillet. I used a cast iron skillet.
- Add 1 tsp of butter or use coconut spray and grease your pan (I used a cast iron skillet for more flavor and nutrients).
- Place sandwich in skillet and press down with spatula for a few minutes or until the bread is browned and cheese is starting to melt.
- Then flip to the other side and repeat. Bread should be nice and golden brown and the cheese melted.
Serve with almond milk or organic milk and you’ve got one FREAKIN FABULOUS recovery meal.
Oh and this gluten free grilled cheese is totally kid approved! Just take out the basil if you’d like and feel free to use cheddar instead. Still delicious and nutritious!
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY BASIL PROVOLONE GLUTEN FREE GRILLED CHEESE:
What’s your favorite way to eat cherries? Favorite recovery meal?
But wait, there’s more! This recipe is part of our 10 BEST OF FOOD ALLERGY FRIENDLY LUNCH BOX IDEAS.
Head on over to the page to check out more recipes!
Learn more about living gluten free! Visit http://udisglutenfree.com/community
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Udi’s Gluten Free. The opinions and text are all mine.