A yogurt bowls breakfast with fruit, but not just ANY fruit, a nourishing superfoods fruit – DATES! Gluten free, grain free,, healthy breakfast bowls with sticky date cake and Greek yogurt taste like dessert, but Sticky Date Cake Yogurt Bowls aren’t just delicious, they’re good for you, too! Paleo option.
Alright friends, just a little update here. We moved this yogurt bowl recipe to another page so we could index it better for you. This is that recipe you saw us making on Instagram stories over and over again. HOOKED! We’ve also added a video and more nerdy nutrition facts about these superfood yogurt bowls. Sound good? Get ready for some corniness and cookbook recipe LOVE! I know, I’m lame. But you love me.
Go on a Date with Dates
Are dates a superfood? Yes, YES they are!
The health benefits of dates is long and impressive. Because fresh dates are a superfood, they really do a body good. Here are just a few reasons to eat dates. Oh, and of course, another reason to make Sticky Date Cake Yogurt Bowls for your healthy breakfast or snack!
- Dates are packed with vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients
- Heart Health – Dates contain several nutrients that support heart health. They’re high in fiber and B vitamins, and they’re low in fat, so they won’t increase your cholesterol.
- Diabetic Friendly – Dates have been used as a natural sweetener for centuries. They’re no less sugary than honey or maple syrup, and they won’t spike your blood sugar.
- Gut Health – The soluble and insoluble fibers and amino acids present in dates can help to improve the digestive system, which assists in healing a leaky gut.
How to Make Sticky Date Cake Yogurt Bowls
Do you know that soaking dates and blending them creates a sticky sweet paste? Oh, how I love nature’s candy! All you need are a few minutes to bake this mug cake in the microwave (yes, this is a microwave cake recipe!), using the sticky date paste. Then, whip it together with Greek yogurt (or coconut milk yogurt) and toppings. You’ll never know this dessert superfood bowl is actually good for you.Print
All you need are a few minutes in the microwave or oven to bake the sticky date cake (made with date paste), then whip it together with yogurt and toppings. You’ll never know this healthy breakfast or dessert is actually good for you. Paleo Option Included.
FOR THE STICKY DATE CAKE
- 6 to 7 pitted dates
- Purified water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 3 tbsp (20 g) almond flour (not meal)
- 1 tbsp (11 g) coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt or kosher salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) almond or coconut milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 10 oz (285 g) yogurt or coconut yogurt, vanilla flavored
- 1 banana, sliced
- Crushed nuts or granola
- Molasses to drizzle
- To make the bowls, soak the dates in purified water for 1 to 2 hours. Discard all of the water except 1 tablespoon (15 ml) after soaking.
- Blend the dates together with the honey to create a sticky paste. Set aside.
- For a regular oven, use 2 ramekins and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray the mug or ramekins with cooking spray. If making the cake in the microwave, only one large mug is needed.
- Place the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt in the mug, and stir the ingredients to combine. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, almond milk and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry flour mixture, stirring to combine. Add the sticky date paste and egg, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Microwave for 90 to 120 seconds, or bake in ramekins cups for 20 to 25 minutes at 350F. Slice the cake into pieces and divide into serving bowls. Top with a dollop of yogurt, sliced banana, nuts and drizzle with molasses.
For paleo version, use coconut cream whip or coconut milk yogurt in place of regular yogurt.
Recipe found in gluten free dessert bowls section of in Nourishing Superfoods Bowls Cookbook
- Serving Size: 1 cake
Keywords: sticky date cake, yogurt bowls, superfoods, grain free, gluten free, paleo friendly
Have you tried this yet? We’d love feedback and all any other combo’s you’ve tried!
p.s This yogurt bowl is perfect for dessert or breakfast, just sayin…