The ultimate one-pan dinner, this Persian-Spiced Chicken and Potatoes recipe features flavorful, juicy chicken and tender, roasted vegetables for a nourishing meal that’s ready in minutes. Serve it on its own or with your favorite sides for an easy gluten free dinner no one can resist! Air Fryer Option.
Say Goodbye to Boring Chicken!
Do you struggle with baking chicken that isn’t dry or bland? Well, not anymore! We’ll teach you how to make mouthwateringly juicy, unbelievably flavorful poultry every time with this Persian-spiced baked chicken and potatoes recipe! Made with simple ingredients, it bakes on a single dish in a matter of minutes. As a result, it’s quick to prepare and even faster to clean up. Plus, it’s so tasty even the pickiest of eaters won’t mind that you snuck in a few veggies. Winner, winner chicken dinner!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
The secret to creating delicious chicken and potatoes is to use plenty of seasonings, and we’ve got no shortage here! Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Spices – A combination of anti-inflammatory spices helps season the chicken while contributing to its health benefits. For a warm, Persian-inspired flavor we included salt, turmeric, allspice, cayenne, paprika, and black pepper.
Swap: If you don’t have allspice on hand, you can easily replace it with a combination of cinnamon, cardamom or clove, and cumin. See the recipe card below for specific measurements.
- Chicken – We use skinless, boneless chicken thighs as the dark meat retains moisture and juices more easily, preventing it from drying out as it bakes.
- Garlic – Minced garlic is included in the marinade for an extra bold, savory taste.
- Oil – Olive oil or avocado oil is used to coat the chicken, locking in moisture and helping the seasonings stick.
- Lemon – Lemon juice and lemon slices are included to help cut through some of the heaviness of the fat, creating a well-rounded and refreshing flavor.
- Potatoes – We recommend using small purple or gold potatoes for their tender texture and buttery taste.
- Vegetables – We use carrots, but any root vegetable like beets, turnips, or parsnips can be used. We also love to add extra cherry tomatoes for broiling!
How to Make the Best Spiced Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
One bite of this baked chicken and potatoes and it’s guaranteed to become a new weeknight favorite!
- Marinade the Chicken. Whisk the spices and seasonings in a large bowl. Then, add the olive oil and lemon juice, and whisk again. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel, and transfer it to the bowl. Make sure it is completely coated in the marinade, and place it in the fridge to marinate.
- Bake. Place the chicken in a large oven-safe skillet or a large rimmed sheet pan. Add the potatoes and vegetables to the bowl of leftover marinade, and toss to coat them. Gently arrange the ingredients around the chicken. Bake until the chicken is fully cooked, broiling for the last 2 minutes, if desired.
Pro-Tip: Depending on the type of potato used and how small they are diced, they may take shorter or longer to cook. So, be sure to keep an eye on your oven, and adjust the baking time as needed!
- Rest the Chicken. Remove the chicken, and set it aside to rest. Then, increase the oven’s temperature, and continue to bake the potatoes and vegetables until they are fork-tender.
- Serve. Garnish with pomegranate arils and parsley before serving, and enjoy!
Bonus! Air Fryer Option
If you prefer to make this chicken and potatoes recipe in the air fryer, follow the marinating instructions as listed. Then, preheat the air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit. Air fry the chicken for 13-15 minutes, flipping it over halfway through. Then, set them aside to rest, and air fry the vegetables in a separate batch.
Note: Both cooking methods are great. However, if you prefer an extra crispy texture, air frying is the way to go!
Tips and Tricks
This baked chicken and potatoes recipe is pretty much foolproof, especially when you follow our tips below!
Marinate. Make sure to let your chicken soak in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes but no longer than 24 hours. This allows it to soak up the flavor of the marinade without breaking down and disintegrating.
Arrange In An Even Layer. Place the chicken and vegetables in your skillet in an even layer to ensure they cook evenly.
Adjust the Cooking Time. Depending on the size and thickness of your chicken, it may take shorter or longer to bake. So, be sure to keep a close eye on them in the oven. Adjust the cooking time as needed, ensuring they do not burn.
Add a Dipping Sauce! To make this baked chicken and potatoes
This baked chicken and potatoes recipe can easily be served on its own for a complete, satisfying meal! However, if you want to add an extra side or two, try pairing it with options like:
Baked Chicken and Potatoes: Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Or, store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Yes, just note that breasts are likely to require a different cooking time and may not be as juicy once baked.
Technically, no. You can season and bake the chicken right away. However, letting it marinade is the easiest way to ensure that it remains flavorful and doesn’t dry out in the oven.
Do you have questions, feedback, or tips about this recipe? Leave a comment below with any questions or feedback you’d like to share!