The ultimate one-pan dinner, this Persian-Spiced Chicken and Potatoes recipe features flavorful, juicy chicken and tender, roasted vegetables for a nourishing meal that’s ready in minutes.
- 4 – 5 chicken thighs (~1.5 pounds), skinless and boneless
- 3 Tablespoons light olive or refined avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (see notes for substitute)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch black pepper
- 1 pound small purple/gold new potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup sliced carrots (see notes for substitutes)
- fresh lemon slices, optional
- Optional Toppings- chopped parsley, pomegranate seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, salt, allspice, cayenne, paprika and black pepper.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel then place chicken thighs in the bowl of marinade and coat well. Place the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and transfer to a large oven safe skillet or large rimmed sheet pan. Place potatoes and vegetables in the bowl with the remaining marinade, gently toss, then arrange around the chicken.
- If desired, place 4 lemon slices on top of chicken and vegetables.
- Transfer skillet/pan to the center rack of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Broil the last 2 minutes of baking for crispier texture. Note- Smaller chicken thighs will cook faster. Adjust times as needed.
- Remove chicken from the oven and place on a serving plate to rest for 5 minutes. Turn the oven to 400 F and continue to bake potatoes and vegetables for an additional 5-10 minutes (or until tender) while chicken rests.
- Garnish with pomegranate arils and parsley before serving.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Alternative Method – AIR FRYER OPTION – Marinate the chicken and vegetables per the directions above. Preheat the air fryer to 400 F and air fry the chicken for 13 -15 minutes, flipping halfway, depending on thickness of chicken. Vegetables will need to be fried in another batch.
Substitutes – Make allspice by mixing ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon cardamon or clove and ⅛ teaspoon cumin. Substitute carrots with other root vegetables (beets, turnips, parsnips), brussels sprouts (halved), or radish.
Greek Yogurt Dipping Sauce – Whisk together 5 ounces plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1-2 teaspoon dried dill, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 22
- Category: Main
- Method: Oven
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 202.7 mg
- Fat: 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 35.9 g
- Cholesterol: 159.8 mg
Keywords: chicken dinner, baked chicken, chicken and potatoes, spiced chicken