Apple Coffee Cake is a delicious grain free snack cake made with almond flour, apple cider vinegar, fresh apples, and warm spices. It is a healthier cake, almost like an apple crumble, perfect for fall, and it’s actually good for your immunity and digestion. Really! Plus, it’s easy to make and is delicious a la mode. Make one or multiple at a time!
Can we make Friday’s confession days? Just say yes. Because today I have a confession… or two, or, three.
Confession number ONE:
Ever since my husband retired from triathlon (in March), talking about health and nutrition has been hard. It’s weird to shift focus from HIS training and what I’m feeding him, to what’s WE’RE going through and what recipes, foods, and nutrition are working for US. Adding my nutritional needs into this mix – that feels weird.
Confession number TWO:
Speaking of nutrition, I’m so used to paying attention to my husband’s or my client’s health that I totally forgot about mine. And I now I’m paying EXTRA attention to it. Gut health and stress reducing life choices! Talk the talk, walk the walk, right?
Confession number THREE:
If not for my health issues, I wouldn’t have changed any of these situations. In fact, it has made me get more creative in the kitchen and forced me to shift perspective. In a good way! It has also made me realize how important it is to not focus SOLELY on diet to keep you healthy. Honestly, stress and negative thinking can do more damage. Ha, was that confession number 4? I think so.
So.. now that’s off my chest. Today’s Spiced Apple Coffee Cake recipe has gut health benefits combined with healthy comfort food. See, I told you I was about revamping favorite comfort food dishes.
Single Serving Coffee Cakes vs. Traditional Apple Coffee Cake
I made an apple cider cake recipe similar to this apple coffee cake years ago, and I couldn’t wait to bring it back alive. But in a whole new way.
As individual coffee cakes! So yes, it’s a single serve coffee cake recipe, but it actually serves 6 people. Well, the more the merrier, yes?
What I mean is, you can make 6 single serving coffee cakes, using 6 oz. ramekins, OR you can bake all of the batter together in an 8-inch square pan.
Is the baking time the same?
If you make individually sized coffee cakes, the baking time will be a couple of minutes less than if you make a larger cake. Just a couple of minutes… nothing major.
For individual cakes, the baking time will be about 25 minutes, and an entire cake in an 8-inch square cake pan will take about 32 minutes.
Apple Coffee Cake Recipe with ACV
The recipe below is new and improved but one very IMPORTANT ingredient in the original recipe still remains…
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR –> like WHOA!
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a fermented product made from crushed and aged apples, and it’s a lifesaver when it comes to gut health and immunity.
Here are some reasons to like and use apple cider vinegar. Actually, these are some reasons why you should drink it. You may not like it at all, but you should still drink it!
- The healthiest versions contain “the mother” (kind of like a kombucha mother scoby) which has a colony of beneficial bacteria.
- Helps fight Candida
- Helps ease heartburn and acid reflux.
- Aids in digestion by increasing stomach acid
- Note –> stomach acid is depleted when we are stressed
- Stomach acid is needed for proper nutrient absorption
- THEREFORE —> a daily consumption of ACV can help!
P.S I added more SPICE to the batter because apple spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, etc) also aids in digestion and has anti-inflammatory properties! Yes, this dessert or breakfast or whatever you call it is a WINNER!
Okay, now that you know why it’s so good for you, let’s put it in a recipe. Here’s my Spiced Apple Coffee Cake recipe. They’re single serving size, but feel free to share, or eat 2 servings at a time. I won’t tell! Haha!
Other Tasty Coffee Cake Recipes to Try:
If you love this healthy apple coffee cake recipe, I bet you will love these other coffee cake recipes, too.Print
Spiced Apple Coffee Cake is a delicious grain free snack cake made with almond flour, apple cider vinegar, fresh apples, and warm spices! This recipe is also gluten free, dairy free friendly.
- 1 2/3 cup Almond flour (or multi purpose GF flour if you don’t have almond flour. see notes)
- 3 – 4 tbsp Tapioca flour or oat flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (Use 1/2 cup if you are using all-purpose gluten free flour)
- 1/4 cup applesauce or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped apple plus extra apple for topping
- optional apple slices or chopped apple 1/2 c
- 2 –3 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- 4 tbsp raw sugar for topping
- 4 tbsp almond flour or gluten free flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking pan (8×8 or 9×9) with parchment paper. See notes for baking in ramekins.
- In a large bowl, sift the flours together and then mix in the sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, and milk then gently mix the egg-milk mixture in with the dry mixture. Stir until smooth or use a hand mixer to blend until batter is consistent texture.
- Add the yogurt or applesauce, apple cider vinegar, spices to the bowl, and mix together.
- Fold in the chopped/diced apple. If batter is too dry, add more milk.
- Pour batter into lined baking dish. Optional thinly sliced apples on top. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter and sugar. Add flour and stir until combined, making a crumble like texture. Spread over apple cake mix in pan. This will not cover the whole pan so feel free to double if desired.
- Place in oven for 28 to 35 minutes (cover with foil after 20 minutes to prevent edges from browning). Bake until top is browned and flour is baked in center.
- Once cooked, place on a towel in fridge for 20 minutes; this just helps it set. You can reheat again before serving, if desired. Or serve with yogurt or ice cream after it’s cooled.
- Keep in refrigerator for 5-7 days or freeze in airtight container or ziplock for up to 3 months.
TIPS and SUBSTITUTIONS!
- Coconut flour may be used in place of tapioca flour but texture and baking time with vary.
- Don’t have baking dish? You can use a individual 6 ounce ramekins placed on baking sheet. Pour batter into each, about 2/3 way full. Cooking time will vary. Check at 20 minutes..
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: apple coffee cake, grain free, paleo-friendly, gluten free cake
This thick cakey crumble is of course gluten-free with a paleo/grain free option. A tart yet buttery spiced taste that screams fall dessert. You really can’t go wrong with this one.
And if you want to make the Spiced Apple Coffee Cake a tad more rich, just add coconut or real cream ice cream. Because life a la mode is stress free and therefore good for you! That’s my justification, always!
Do you use Apple Cider Vinegar? I know most either love it or hate it! Haha!
Favorite Apple dessert?