Apple Coffee Cake is a delicious grain free snack cake made with almond flour, apple cider vinegar, fresh apples, and warm spices. It is a healthier cake, almost like an apple crumble, perfect for fall, and it’s actually refined sugar free! Plus, it’s easy to make and is delicious a la mode.
Can we make Monday’s confession days? Just say yes. Because today I have a confession… or two, or, three.
Confession number ONE:
I cannot, for the life of me, slice apple properly. But hey, we all have our faults. Today you get a semi chopped, semi sliced apple for topping this apple cake.
Confession number TWO:
Speaking of faults, I’m so used to paying attention to other people’s health/nutritional needs, that I totally forget about mine. And I now I’m paying EXTRA attention to it. Talk the talk, walk the walk.
Stress got to me. I’m aware of it.
Stress baking happened. Right HERE. With CAKE. This cake!
But hey, at least I was able to sneak some apple cider vinegar into a paleoish dessert. Right?
Confession number THREE:
If not for my health issues, I wouldn’t have never gotten in the kitchen to experiment with grain free baking and properly preparing grains, including super grains! In fact, it has made me get more creative in the kitchen and forced me to shift perspective. In a good way! It has also made me realize how important it is to not focus SOLELY on diet to keep you healthy. Honestly, stress and negative thinking can do more damage. Ha, was that even a confession? I think so.
Now that’s off my chest. Today’s Spiced Almond Flour Apple Coffee Cake recipe has gut health benefits combined with healthy comfort food. See, stress baking at it’s finest! It’s good for the soul!
Single Serving Coffee Cakes vs. Traditional Apple Coffee Cake
I made a single serve apple cider cake recipe (oldie but goodie photo) similar to this apple coffee cake years ago, and I couldn’t wait to bring it back alive. But in a whole new way.
As a one pan coffee cake! So yes, this apple cake still works great baked and served in 6 ounce ramekins (single serve style), but when you bake the cake in a larger brownie or bread pan, you get more slices! Well, the more the merrier, yes?
What I mean is, you can make 6 single serving coffee cakes, using 6 oz. ramekins, OR you can bake all of the batter together in an 8-inch square pan. The choice is yours, just watch baking times. Mmmk ?
Is the baking time the same?
If you make individually sized coffee cakes, the baking time will be a couple of minutes less than if you make a larger cake. Just a couple of minutes… nothing major.
For individual cakes, the baking time will be about 25 minutes, and an entire cake in an 8-inch square cake pan will take about 32 minutes.
The key is making sure you don’t overmix the batter! Gently fold in the apples and apple cider vinegar.
Apple Coffee Cake Recipe with ACV
The recipe below is new and improved but one very IMPORTANT ingredient in the original recipe still remains… APPLE CIDER VINEGAR –> like WHOA!
Can Apple cider vinegar be used for baking?
Yes, we can! I love using apple cider vinegar in coffee cakes and because it helps give it that tangy yet sweet taste. It also helps pancakes and other baked goods rise and a bit of fluff without adding eggs. The acids in the vinegar help activate baking powder and baking soda, which add the “fluff.” Hence why my vegan cakes and muffins always contain vinegar!
Supplementing with Apple Cider Vinegar
Are there Benefits?
Apple cider vinegar is a fermented product made from crushed and aged apples, and it’s a lifesaver when it comes to gut health and immunity.
Here are some reasons to like and use apple cider vinegar. Actually, these are some reasons why you should drink it. You may not like it at all, but you should still drink it!
- The healthiest versions contain “the mother” (kind of like a kombucha mother scoby) which has a colony of beneficial bacteria.
- Helps fight Candida
- Helps ease heartburn and acid reflux.
- Aids in digestion by increasing stomach acid. A daily consumption of ACV can help! Which is why I have this Pineapple ACV DETOX cocktail.
Confession number 4! -Adding Apple Cider Vinegar to a cake does not make it a superfood health food (haha), but you get my point. Sometimes we just need to have our cake and eat it too, then wash it down with ACV (apple cider vinegar) the next morning. Kidding.
Now that you know why it’s so good for you, let’s put a fork in it and give this recipe a whirl. 😉
Spiced Apple Coffee Cake recipe.
- Almond Flour or GF flour
- Non Dairy Milk
- Spices – Cinnamon and nutmeg FOR SURE
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Applesauce or Yogurt
- Sugar of Choice (xylitol works well for lower sugar option)
- Naturally refined coconut oil or clarified butter
Other Tasty Coffee Cake Recipes to Try:
If you love this healthy apple coffee cake recipe, I bet you will love these other coffee cake recipes, too.
Spiced Apple Coffee Cake is a delicious grain free snack cake made with almond flour, apple cider vinegar, fresh apples, and warm spices! This recipe is also gluten free, dairy free friendly.
- 1 2/3 cup Almond flour (See notes for substitutes)
- 3 – 4 tbsp Tapioca flour or oat flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (Use 1/2 cup if you are using all-purpose gluten free flour)
- 1/4 cup applesauce or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped apple plus extra apple for topping
- optional apple slices or 1/2 c chopped apple
- 2 –3 tbsp melted clarified butter or naturally refined coconut oil
- 4 tbsp raw sugar for topping
- 4 tbsp almond flour or gluten free flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking pan (8×8 or 9×9) with parchment paper. See notes for baking in ramekins.
- In a large bowl, sift the flours together and then mix in the sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, and milk then gently mix the egg-milk mixture in with the dry mixture. Stir until smooth or use a hand mixer to blend until batter is consistent texture.
- Add the yogurt or applesauce, apple cider vinegar, spices to the bowl, and mix together.
- Fold in the chopped/diced apple. If batter is too dry, add more milk.
- Pour batter into lined baking dish. Optional thinly sliced apples on top. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter and sugar. Add flour and stir until combined, making a crumble like texture. Spread over apple cake mix in pan. This will not cover the whole pan so feel free to double if desired.
- Place in oven for 28 to 35 minutes (cover with foil after 20 minutes to prevent edges from browning). Bake until top is browned and flour is baked in center.
- Once cooked, place on a towel in fridge for 20 minutes; this just helps it set. You can reheat again before serving, if desired. Or serve with yogurt or ice cream after it’s cooled.
- Keep in refrigerator for 5-7 days or freeze in airtight container or ziplock for up to 3 months.
TIPS and SUBSTITUTIONS!
- 1 and 1/3 -1/2 c All purpose GF flour or 1:1 GF flour may be used if don’t have almond flour. Texture will vary and so will baking times. Check at 20 minutes for doneness.
- Coconut flour may be used in place of tapioca flour IF you are combining with almond flour. Texture and baking time with vary.
- Don’t have baking dish? You can use a individual 6 ounce ramekins placed on baking sheet. Pour batter into each, about 2/3 way full. Cooking time will vary. Check at 20 minutes..
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: apple coffee cake, grain free, paleo-friendly, gluten free cake
This thick cakey crumble is of course gluten-free with a paleo/grain free option. A tart yet buttery spiced taste that screams fall dessert. You really can’t go wrong with this one.
And if you want to make the Spiced Apple Coffee Cake a tad more indulgent, just serve with whipped cream, or whipped coconut cream. Because life with a little indulgence is good for you! That’s my justification, always!
Do you use Apple Cider Vinegar? I know most either love it or hate it! Haha!Favorite Apple dessert?