Spiced Apple Coffee Cake is a delicious grain free snack cake made with almond flour, apple cider vinegar, fresh apples, and warm spices! This recipe is also gluten free, dairy free friendly.
- 1 2/3 cup Almond flour (or multi purpose GF flour if you don’t have almond flour. see notes)
- 3 – 4 tbsp Tapioca flour or oat flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (Use 1/2 cup if you are using all-purpose gluten free flour)
- 1/4 cup applesauce or plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chopped apple plus extra apple for topping
- optional apple slices or chopped apple 1/2 c
- 2 –3 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- 4 tbsp raw sugar for topping
- 4 tbsp almond flour or gluten free flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking pan (8×8 or 9×9) with parchment paper. See notes for baking in ramekins.
- In a large bowl, sift the flours together and then mix in the sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, and milk then gently mix the egg-milk mixture in with the dry mixture. Stir until smooth or use a hand mixer to blend until batter is consistent texture.
- Add the yogurt or applesauce, apple cider vinegar, spices to the bowl, and mix together.
- Fold in the chopped/diced apple. If batter is too dry, add more milk.
- Pour batter into lined baking dish. Optional thinly sliced apples on top. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter and sugar. Add flour and stir until combined, making a crumble like texture. Spread over apple cake mix in pan. This will not cover the whole pan so feel free to double if desired.
- Place in oven for 28 to 35 minutes (cover with foil after 20 minutes to prevent edges from browning). Bake until top is browned and flour is baked in center.
- Once cooked, place on a towel in fridge for 20 minutes; this just helps it set. You can reheat again before serving, if desired. Or serve with yogurt or ice cream after it’s cooled.
- Keep in refrigerator for 5-7 days or freeze in airtight container or ziplock for up to 3 months.
TIPS and SUBSTITUTIONS!
- Coconut flour may be used in place of tapioca flour but texture and baking time with vary.
- Don’t have baking dish? You can use a individual 6 ounce ramekins placed on baking sheet. Pour batter into each, about 2/3 way full. Cooking time will vary. Check at 20 minutes..
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: apple coffee cake, grain free, paleo-friendly, gluten free cake