This Orange Paleo Orange Zucchini Bread is a healthier version of a classic zucchini quick bread recipe. Easy to make, refined sugar free, and dairy free. The orange ginger glaze is optional, but delicious when to drizzle on top.
Favorite zucchini QUICK BREAD just got a makeover!
If you could choose one bread to live off the rest of your life, what would it be? Is that too much to ask on a Monday? Ha, perhaps. But I’m going to go ahead and answer this for you. Zucchini Bread! Why? Because you get a serving of vegetables in a lightly sweet and delicate quick bread form. Slather with clarified butter or coconut oil and you’ve got a serving of healthy fats.
And this paleo(ish) orange zucchini quick bread might be the bread of life. Packed with ALL THE THINGS! Vegetables, fruit, lightly sweet, healthy fats, grain free, moist (ugh, hate that word but it’s true), and packed with Vitamin C. That’s justifiable. No? Kidding. Kinda.
It’s legit delish and perfect for summer baking!
Healthy zucchini bread recipe coming at ya –
Now, let me tell you why I ended making batches of this zesty paleo zucchini bread. Get ready… nerdy nutrition talk comin’ at ya once again.
You see, we’re entering into crazy summer heat. Heat can cause stress on the body. So can summer vacation with your family. I kid, I kid. But in all seriousness, a little (acute) inflammation is good for the body, allowing it to repair and rebuild properly. Chronic inflammation is a whole other story! If you want more information on that topic, check out our Anti-inflammatory Starter Kit.
Either way, we’re still in need of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory rich foods. Hence this extra burst of Vitamin C in this paleo zucchini bread.
But wait, there’s more!
All these ingredients are high in antioxidants (think Vitamins and such).
- Fresh Oranges and Orange Juice– High in antioxidant VITAMIN C. Oh yea!
- Ground Ginger– Rich source of antioxidants including gingerols, shogaols, zingerones, and more. These antioxidants in ginger root do wonders for the body and can help reduce inflammation in the muscles. So less soreness!
- Almonds – Rich in antioxidant Vitamin E (fat soluble vitamin), which can help fight against free radicals and oxidative stress. WOO! Although Vitamin E diminishes with high heating, you can still get a great source with this almond flour base.
- Zucchini– Rich in Vitamin C and A. Plus did you know the squash seeds are said to be microbial and help with immunity? Yep, very cool!
Now you might be wondering… “That’s all fine and dandy Lindsay, but how can a glaze with sugar be healthy?”
Okay you might not have been wondering that, but I’ll answer for you anyways.
REFINED SUGAR FREE ZUCCHINI BREAD OPTION:
To make this bread UBER healthy, skip the real sugar and the glaze. Instead, opt for a refined sugar free sweetener like coconut sugar, maple syrup, or honey (see this meal plan for more info on refined sugar free). Ya’ll, it’s still delicious and lightly sweet, even without the glaze. I promise!
Tips for making paleo zucchini quick bread!
Ingredients you need –> eggs, almond flour, coconut flour, ginger, fresh orange juice, zucchini, unrefined sugar, coconut milk or almond milk.
Zucchini prep tip —> The key to zucchini bread success is making sure you get most of the water out of the grated zucchini. Too much water will create soggy bread. You can do this by first grating the zucchini, then pressing it with a towel to remove excess water or placing it in a cloth and squeezing until all the water is removed. Then pat the grated zucchini dry and place in bowl.
After that, you simply mix the wet ingredients together and combine with your dry ingredients (sifted flour, sugar, etc.) . Once that’s mixed, all you have left to do is bake.
Once the zucchini bread is all done and baked, just drizzle a little ginger glaze on top and enjoy! Again, this is totally optional, but it’s a great brunch option when entertaining. Ya know?
We made a few batches already so I could freeze them for later. Speaking of freezing, stay tuned for our freezer friendly gluten free meal plan later this week.
Zesty Orange Paleo Zucchini Bread! A classic quick bread recipe made healthier with simple ingredients. Paleo friendly and refined sugar free.
- 2 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and/or ginger
- 1 medium zucchini (grated, water extracted)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (divided)
- 4 eggs room temp
- 1/3 to 1/2 c coconut milk or almond milk (regular cream may be substituted)
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Orange slices to top
Optional ORANGE GINGER GLAZE – not strict paleo, sugar free option
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar (see post for sugar free option and link in post to make paleo)
- 3 tbsp – 1/4 cup orange juice (from listed above)
- 2 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- dash of orange zest or orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and oil the sides. 9×5 or 8×4 for denser bread.
- Sift together the almond flour/coconut flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a small bowl; stir in your sugar and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Grate the zucchini onto a plate or bowl. Press the grated zucchini with a paper towel to extract as much water out as possible. Or place zucchini in a towel and squeeze out water. Place back into bowl.
- Next whisk or blend together (in blender or hand mixer) eggs, milk, and 1/3 cup of the orange juice. Keep the other 1/4 cup for optional glaze.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl and mix together. If batter seems too dry, add a touch more milk.
- Stir in the melted coconut oil and vanilla. Lastly, fold in the grated zucchini.
- Pour the batter into a loaf/bread pan. The batter will be thick due to coconut flour, so you might need to use a spatula to even out the batter in the pan. Place thinly sliced orange slices on top.
- Place in oven on center rack and bake for around 50 -60 minutes.
- Check middle with knife or toothpick at around 45 minutes to make sure it comes out clean. Depending on the oven, the bread could take up to 70 minutes to bake. If you find the bread is taking longer than 50 minutes, cover with foil and keep baking until center is set.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Spread the optional glaze on top before slicing, or skip and slice as is.
FOR THE OPTIONAL GINGER GLAZE
- Combine your ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. See post for link to sugar free powdered sugar option.
- Drizzle glaze on top of bread before serving or on each individual piece.
- Store in fridge if not using. If using coconut oil, you will need to warm it a but to liquify after placing in fridge.
- The glaze is optional, but delicious if serving at brunch. This bread is freezer friendly.
- Sugar free powdered sugar can be used in glaze.
- Nutrition below based on calculations without glaze
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: bread, zucchini, paleo, grain free, dessert, gluten free
Now tell me, if you could choose one bread to eat the rest of your life, would it be this? Haha, I am hopeful!
Bliss. Pure bliss!
MORE HEALTHY YEAST-FREE BREAD RECIPES HERE!
This recipe is part of our Healthy Yeast-free Bread Recipes collection. Check it out!