Learn how to air fry asparagus with just a handful of simple, gluten-free ingredients in less than 10 minutes! Perfectly crisp without the need for tons of oil, air fryer asparagus makes for a quick, nutritious appetizer or side dish!
Pair it with an Instant Pot whole chicken or air fryer salmon for a complete meal the whole family will look forward to eating!
Why You’ll Love Learning How to Air Fry Asparagus
Asparagus is one of our favorite ways to add color to our plate! While we love baking it in the oven, our entire side dish game was changed when we learned how to air fry asparagus in just a matter of minutes.
Not only is it delicious but it also:
- Comes together with 5 budget-friendly ingredients.
- Cooks in less than 10 minutes.
- Is naturally low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, and keto.
- Comes out tender every single time and yields the perfect crisp crunch when bitten into.
- Pairs well with all your favorite recipes.
Did You Know?! Asparagus is an excellent source of fiber and is rich in vitamins and nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and potassium.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Believe it or not, you don’t need a million fancy ingredients to make vegetables taste incredible. We’ll prove it with the simple list below!
- Asparagus – Look for bright asparagus stalks that are plump, first, and have closed tips. Be sure to snap off the tough, woody ends!
- Oil – Avocado oil or pure olive oil work to help ensure the seasonings stick and the asparagus becomes slightly caramelized and tender.
- Lemon Juice or Balsamic Vinegar – The acid helps break down the tough fibers of the veggies while creating a bright, refreshing flavor.
- Spices – Salt, pepper, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder are all you need!
Pro-Tip: Want to boost the flavor of air fryer roasted asparagus even more? Add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese right at the end of cooking! Also, feel free to switch up the flavor profile with fresh herbs and spices like parsley, dill, basil, and red pepper flakes. Or, add a drizzle of maple syrup or soy sauce to elevate the taste.
How to Trim Asparagus
One of the keys to creating tasty air fryer asparagus spears is to prepare them properly! To do so, follow the steps below.
- Rinse and drain the fresh asparagus.
- Use a sharp knife or simply snap the asparagus to remove the tough, woody ends.
- Discard the ends, and proceed with the recipe!
To see how it’s done, take a look at how to trim asparagus with ease!
How to Air Fry Asparagus
Once you learn how to air fry asparagus you’ll never go back to other methods of preparation again!
- Toss. Add all the ingredients to a large bowl or sealable bag. Toss to combine, making sure the asparagus is coated evenly.
- Air Fry. Place the asparagus in a single layer in a heated air fryer basket, and cook until the spears look roasted or slightly crispy. Just be sure to keep an eye on your air fryer as the cooking time is likely to vary depending on the thickness of the asparagus.
Pro-Tip: Make sure not to overcrowd the basket, and shake your air fryer basket halfway through cooking to ensure all the spears cook evenly!
Storing and Reheating
Air fried asparagus spears are best enjoyed right away while they’re still warm. However, if you have extras or want to prepare them in advance, they can be stored for later.
- Refrigerator: Once cooled, transfer the asparagus to an airtight container, and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheat: When you’re ready to eat, warm your asparagus in the air fryer, skillet, or microwave for just a few minutes until it is heated through
Note: We don’t recommend freezing leftover asparagus as it’s likely to become mushy and soggy once thawed and reheated.
Make It a Meal! Serving Suggestions
Feel free to add asparagus spears to your favorite salads, fish, or even in omelets! Or, serve them as a side alongside dishes like:
- Air Fryer Lamb Chops
- Greek Herb Roasted Chicken with Charred Rosemary
- 5-Ingredient Maple Dijon Salmon or Herbed Salmon and Asparagus
- Vegan Greek Quinoa Burger
Common Questions About How to Air Fry Asparagus
High temperatures work best to cook asparagus in the air fryer. For this recipe, we cook it at 400° Fahrenheit.
No! One of the best things about air fryer recipes is that they cook in much less time. A general rule of thumb when it comes to converting an oven baked recipe to an air fryer recipe is to reduce the temperature by 25-50° Fahrenheit and the cooking time by about 20%.
The cooking time needed for air fryer asparagus varies depending on your air fryer and the size and thickness of your spears. We recommend air frying for 5-7 minutes.
Either will work for this recipe! You’ll just need to adjust the cooking time to ensure your spears cook all the way through and don’t burn. Typically, we recommend opting for slightly thicker stalks as thinner varieties tend to become a bit chewy and lose their crispiness once they’re reheated.
More of Our Favorite
Air Fryer Recipes
Make meals easy with more of these great gluten-free air fryer side dish recipes!
How to Air Fry Asparagus
- Total Time: 8-10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Learn how to air fry asparagus with just a handful of simple, gluten-free ingredients in less than 10 minutes!
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon avocado or light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice and/or balsamic vinegar
- Pinch kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients together until evenly coated.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F. Once preheated, spray the basked with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the asparagus into the air fryer basket and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until the asparagus is crispy on the edges.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Cooking Tips – Cooking times vary based on size of the asparagus and type of air fryer used.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 5-7 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 32
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 106.7 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.1 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: how to air fry asparagus, asparagus, air fryer, recipe
Do you have questions, feedback, or tips about this recipe? Leave a comment below with any questions or feedback you’d like to share!
Rate & Comment