This almond flour chocolate cake has naked layers of grain free cake and fluffy maple coconut cream frosting. Make this almond cake recipe for an impressive and delicious dessert!
Ingredients are for 2 layers of cake – For 3 to 4 layers, make an additional batch, do not double.
- 4 oz butter or refined coconut oil
- 4 oz dark baking chocolate
- 2/3 cup cane sugar or raw sugar (fine)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar or 2 tsp vinegar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (quality cocoa)
- 4 room temperature eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pistachio to be ground or crushed
Coconut cream frosting/filling
- 2 cans chilled coconut cream
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (more if you prefer sweeter frosting)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- baked fruit or fresh berries
- extra coconut whipped cream
- crushed pistachios or other nuts
BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Place the can of coconut cream in the fridge for 24 hours, or until it hardens. See notes for quick alternative
Directions for a 2-layer cake. For 3 to 4 layers, make an additional batch, do not double.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two or three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper. Oil the sides. Set aside
- Next, melt butter and chocolate together over stove in glass bowl (double boil technique) or in microwave.
- In another bowl sift or whisk almond flour, sugar, salt, baking soda together. Stir in egg yolk, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Place room temperature egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer or use a hand mixer to beat on high speed,until soft peaks are formed, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside
- Mix the melted chocolate into almond flour cake batter. Mix until smooth then add the vinegar and stir again.
- Next, gently fold the whipped egg white into the almond flour chocolate cake batter. NOTE: Be gentle and do not over mix. Otherwise, the egg whites might deflate. If this happens, make a new batch.
- Pour into two 8 inch cake pans. Spread batter evenly.
- Place in oven for 20-25 minutes or until center comes out clean with toothpick. Check on cakes after 15 minutes and rotate cake pans.
- Once baked, remove from oven and let cool. Recommendation – place cakes in fridge to cool for 45 to 1 hr minutes for best frosting results
- While cakes are cooling, you can prepare the coconut maple whipped cream.
- Simply follow my coconut cream frosting using maple syrup versus coconut sugar.
- Place a can of coconut cream in fridge for 24 hours until harden.
- Remove water when you open the can from the the fridge. Place the remaining thickened cream contents in mixer. Add maple syrup, vanilla, and whip until fluffy.
- Now to layer the cake. Remove parchment paper from each. These almond flour cakes will flatten once cooled, so I did not cut off top before adding whip cream.
- Add about 1/2 cup or more whipped cream between each cake and stack the cakes gently on top of each other.
- Once stacked, feel free to leave naked or spread more coconut cream frosting on around the cakes. Sprinkle top and sides with crushed pistachio.
- Top with edible flowers, optional chocolate, and maple baked pear or other fruit of choice. Optional.
Storage and keep-
- This cake will hold it’s shape at room temperature for up to 4 hours with the coconut frosting.
- Keep in fridge until ready to serve.
- Save and freeze slices for up to 3-4 weeks in foil.
Frosting Shortcut– If you don’t want to wait for the the coconut whipped cream to harden overnight, you may use generic brand non dairy whipped cream or 16 oz of COLD heavy whipping cream. Heavy whipping cream doesn’t need to be chilled overnight. It just needs to be COLD.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: layer cake, chocolate, almond flour cake, naked cake, gluten free, dairy free, grain free