Healthy fajita steak soup (instant pot or stove top)- A mexican inspired paleo soup that’s easy and delicious! Whole 30 friendly.
- 12 ounce steak (trimmed, fat removed) (or two 5–6 ounce steaks)- See notes for other options.
- 1 tsp minced Garlic or 3 cloves
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 c thick chunky Salsa or pico de Gallo of choice. Mild or hot
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chili or canned diced tomatoes with other Mexican spices
- 2 c Cauliflower rice (1 small head with stem removed, see notes for easy prep)
- 1 Bell pepper – diced
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- Pinch of chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 4 c chicken Broth or chicken stock (gluten free)
- 1 cup fresh (torn) Cilantro – about 1 small bunch
- 1 Jalapeño
- avocado slices and optional peppercorns to garnish
- Clean and remove fat from steaks. Make sure all your other ingredients are diced and ready for the soup. Set aside.
- Place instant pot on sauté setting. Place your steak, garlic, and oil in the instant pot.
- Brown meat with garlic and oil on sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove from instant pot and let the steak rest for 2 minutes. Then Slice into stew meat pieces.
- Place the meat back in the instant pot and then add in the remaining ingredients; salsa, tomatoes, cauliflower rice, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, salt/pepper, and broth. Mix until combined then place lid back on instant pot.
- Press Manual mode pressure cook. Cook for 15 min, then slow release. Quick release works just as well.
- Stir ingredients. Taste to see if it’s to you liking. Add more spices while it’s warm, if desired.
- Serve hot and garnish with torn fresh cilantro, jalapeño slices, avocado slices and peppercorn.
STOVE TOP OPTION
- Heat a large stock pot to medium. Add steak meat (or stew meat) and brown with oil and garlic. Slice meat once browned and rested for 1-2 minutes. If you’re using stew meat, skip the resting.
- Add your vegetables (cauliflower rice and bell pepper) to the pot, sauté for 2 minutes on medium. Next add the sliced steak meat back into the pot along with salsa, tomatoes, spices, and broth. Mix together.
- Cover with lid and set to medium low for 30 – 35 min or until meat and vegetables are cooked seasoned well with the broth. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Serve and Garnish with cilantro, jalapeño, avocado
SEE NOTE FOR STORAGE. This soup does freeze well.
- If you wish to skip searing steak fillets, you can buy stew meat already sliced and brown it in instant pot.
- Store in airtight container in fridge for up to 7 days. Or freeze for 3 months.
- If you’re wondering how to rice cauliflower, see my cauliflower rice soup recipe. Or you can buy prepared cauliflower rice in the freezer section!
- Category: soup
- Method: pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican American
Keywords: mexican, soup, instant pot, pressure cooker, steak, paleo, dairy free, whole 30, keto, fajitas