Healthy fajita steak soup (instant pot or stove top)- A Mexican-inspired paleo soup that’s easy and delicious! Whole 30 friendly.
- 12 ounce sirloin steak or two 5-6 ounce steaks. *See notes for other options.
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 3 cloves
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 cup thick chunky salsa or pico de gallo of choice (mild or hot)
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chili or canned diced tomatoes with other Mexican spices
- 2 cups cauliflower rice (1 small head with stem removed, see notes for easy prep)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cup chicken broth or chicken stock (gluten free)
- 1 cup fresh (torn) cilantro (about 1 small bunch)
- 1 jalapeno, sliced.
- avocado slices and optional peppercorns to garnish
- Trim excess fat from steaks. Keep some fat around edges for searing. Set aside.
- Plac instant pot on sauté setting. Place the steak, garlic, and oil in the instant pot.
- Brown meat with garlic and oil on sauté mode for 2 to 3 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove from instant pot and let the steak rest for 2 minutes. Slice meat pieces.
- Place the meat back in the instant pot, and add in the remaining ingredients; salsa, tomatoes, cauliflower rice, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, salt/pepper, and broth. Mix until combined. Then, place the lid back on the instant pot.
- Press Manual mode pressure cook. Cook for 12 -15 min. 15 minutes for thick steak and 12 for thinner steak. Set to slow release for 5 minutes, then quick release. (Quick release works just as well just be sure to keep it on warm mode after pressure is released.)
- Stir ingredients in the instant pot. Adjust seasonings, if desired, while the soup is still warm.
- Serve hot and garnish with torn fresh cilantro, jalapeño slices, avocado slices, and peppercorn.
STOVE TOP OPTION
- Heat a large stock pot to medium. Add steak meat (or stew meat) and brown with oil and garlic. Slice meat once browned and rested for 1-2 minutes. If using stew meat, skip the resting.
- Add the vegetables (cauliflower rice and bell pepper) to the pot, sauté for 2 minutes on medium. Add the sliced steak meat back into the pot along with salsa, tomatoes, spices, and broth. Mix together.
- Cover with lid and set to medium-low for 30 – 35 min or until meat and vegetables are cooked seasoned well with the broth. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro, jalapeño, avocado
SEE NOTE FOR STORAGE. This soup does freeze well.
- If you wish to skip searing steak fillets, you can buy stew meat already sliced and brown it in instant pot.
- Store in airtight container in fridge for up to 7 days. Or freeze for 3 months.
- Frozen cauliflower rice maybe used but be sure to cook/steam prior to placing into the instant pot. Remove/drain extra water after cooking frozen cauliflower rice.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: dinner
- Method: Instant Pot or Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 7.1 g
- Sodium: 1588.1 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 23.5 g
- Cholesterol: 57 mg
Keywords: mexican, soup, instant pot, pressure cooker, steak, paleo, dairy free, whole 30, keto, fajitas