Caramelized Banana Chocolate Almond Butter Cups. Vegan and Paleo Friendly!
For the Caramelized Bananas
- 2 small bananas, sliced thin or in half (slice 1/2 banana in circle slices for topping).
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp naturally refined coconut oil or soy-free vegan butter (clarified butter can be used for non vegan)
- 1 tbsp hot water
For muffin pan lined with thin muffin cup liners:
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup dark chocolate for melting. Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate is great for vegan option.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, divided.
- Optional 1/2 tsp vanilla extract mixed in chocolate if desired
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter or sunflower seed butter for nut-free version (no stir)
- Sea salt and dark chocolate shavings to sprinkle
For the caramelized bananas:
- Melt coconut oil or vegan butter in large frying pan. Add coconut sugar; cook, stirring, until sugar and butter are melted together and somewhat dissolved.
- Add sliced bananas and 1 tbsp water; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes or until banana slices coated and caramelized.
- Set aside, let cool, then slice again into dice size pieces.
For the chocolate almond butter cups:
- First melt 1/3 cup dark chocolate with 1/2 tbsp coconut oil in microwave in 30 second increments, mixing between until melted.
- Pour into muffin pan lined with thin muffin cup liners. (See notes for almond butter swirl option).
- Place melted chocolate in Freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- While the chocolate is setting, melt almond butter with 1/2 tbsp coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second increments, mixing between until melted. *Note* You can melt both chocolate and almond on stove top (separately) with oil if you don’t have microwave.
- Spoon the almond butter on top of the frozen chocolate lined cups. Add thick slice of caramelized banana (about the size of dice).
- Place in Freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- While the chocolate, almond butter, banana cups are freezing, melt remainder 1/3 – 1/2 cup chocolate with 1/2 tbsp oil. Pour the remainder of the dark chocolate over cups to fill.
- Top each up with remaining caramelized banana slices. Garnish with dark chocolate shavings and sea salt.
- Freeze 20 minutes until set. Then let them sit out for 5 mins before serving from freezer. Or keep in fridge and serve anytime! See notes for storing.
If you prefer more almond butter flavor, melt the almond butter first and place it on the bottom layer, then the chocolate banana, then the almond butter again to top. You might need more almond butter for this. This is the opposite of the chocolate/ almond butter layers noted again. See pictures for reference.
Store the almond butter cups in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for up to 10 days.
You can use mini cups as well just make sure the bananas are cut smaller to fit. This will make 11-12 mini cups or 6-7 large cups.
Estimated nutrition shown below is per 1 large almond butter cup
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 40mg
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Keywords: chocolate almond butter cups, gluten free, paleo, vegan