When I first started the business of blogging 6 years ago, it was pretty simple. I’d write a recipe, take a crappy picture, hit publish, respond to comments, read a few other blogs, done. Most of the time I was responding to my husband’s friends and fellow triathletes. They were always looking for more recipes ideas, nutrition tips, etc. Heck, that’s how I was nick named “the Sherpa Wife.”
There was no Pinterest, I had just started a Twitter account (and had no clue how to use it), Facebook was for catching up with old friends, Instagram was insta ..nothing, and Google + wasn’t even born yet. At least not to my knowledge.
So you see, back then, blogging was a hobby that helped me share my passion… nutrition, cooking, recipes, being a wife. Simple.
Over the years the “industry” has really EVOLVED. I would say it’s definitely more entrepreneur friendly, but it also demands more of our time. That is if you want to be a full time blogger.
The business of blogging in today’s world means that women (and men) can provide a good source of income for their family while still being at home. That was a huge reason for me to continue to pursue blogging. I want to be a housewife (gasp!) and I hope to be a stay at home mom some day.
Blogging today means your life is displayed everywhere. And you’re expected to be everywhere.
Note from lessons learned –> don’t be everywhere, be one important place (at that moment) instead. Avoid the burnout.
The business of blogging today means you will be judged and criticized, but also praised. Don’t let it go to your head, or your heart.
And blogging today also gives you the chance to create your own brand. One that is very AUTHENTIC, ORIGINAL, and well… a perfectly imperfect YOU!
Branding your Blog can be the first step towards bigger blogging aspirations. It means you are serious about what you share, write, and so on.
How to create your blogging Brand
Ask yourself these important questions:
- What are you passionate about? What makes you excited about life? Find a purpose in it.
- What can you contribute to the “blogosphere” that not many other can.
- Think about it. What makes you different? Is it your attitude, your creativity, your organizational skills, your helpful tips, your recipes, your photography, your ability to relate to others?
- Ask bloggers and non bloggers what they think you are good at and why. Is it something you can make into a business? Can you write an ebook about it? You’re good at something, that is for sure! God gave us all gifts for a reason! What is your gift?
- Don’t be afraid to embrace change in order to find your brand or to REBRAND. I think it’s a natural way of life. We transition from one career to the next, from one stage of life to the next, and so on. But change is what makes you AUTHENTIC and strengthens you as you grow.
- Don’t look at failure as if it’s an end to whatever you seeking. Look at failure as one event that can only lead to more growth and success. That’s part of your brand, failure.
- I have failed at taking care of my health at times. I have failed at many recipes. My husband has failed at races and during key workouts, but all those failed attempts don’t make us FAILURES. They instead help us refocus on what truly matters.
Failure sometimes enlarges the spirit. You have to fall back upon humanity and God. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Okay, now that you have narrowed down your thoughts, hone in on what truly makes you you (your brand), and don’t let fear or comparison get in the way!
As we approach the end of the first month of 2015, I think many of us already want to feel concrete and established, whether it be with our blog/career, with our life plans, or even with our health. We want all the stars to align and our BIG dreams to come true. Hey, it’s natural, we’re human.
But what if we focused less on expectations and final outcome, and more on the process? I think then, we just might be able to see where success and growth are already taking place, one step at a time.
Find purpose in your passion, learn and grow from it (failures and all), share it, nurture it, brand it! That is Success.
It is also the business of blogging!
What are you creating and sharing today?
[bctt tweet=”The Business of Blogging and Branding, via @LCCotter #fitfluential #blogging”]
That’s my corny Cotter question for you!
- Facebook i’m finally on it as Cotter Crunch! Click here Cotter Crunch FB
- Instagram –LCCotter
- Pinterest– LCCotter
- Email- [email protected]
- Bloglovin-Cotter Crunch