Grain Free White Chocolate Spiced Almond Cake! A healthier holiday twist on the classic almond cake! Cinnamon Spiced almond cake with melted white chocolate and a cinnamon cream cheese topping.Taste so decadent but is actually pretty healthy and easy to make. A perfect moist cake recipe for those looking to enjoy gluten free desserts. Really! Go ahead, enjoy!
Mmm K. Let’s get to the real focus here. Dessert! Cake! White Chocolate! Um, now all together please.
White Chocolate Spiced Almond Cake! And you guessed it, grain free!
Now, I will admit, my specialty when it comes to gluten free or grain free sweets are usually in the form on no bake ball (aka Healthy Bites). Learning to bake and make gluten free, let alone grain free, desserts and cakes have taken some time. It’s truly a trial and error process. More error than I’d like to admit, but hey, that’s why I do what I do. I like creating, tweaking, and making sure I can deliver healthy (or healthier) gluten free recipes that don’t taste like cardboard. Because, let’s face it, um, many gluten free and grain free recipes can turn out that way, am I right? And being that it is Friendsgiving week and only 8 days to go till the real Thanksgiving, I figured I better up my game. Hence the white chocolate and almond cake combo. Holidays are supposed to be enjoyed, including food. So why not make the food you can eat extra special. Or dare I say it?
…. … A little indulgent.
Okay, stop rolling your eyes at me because can I let you in on a little secret? I have a trick. More of a nutrition trick than anything.
When it comes to making grain free or gluten free desserts taste indulgent, you really just need to stick with REAL FOOD. I mean, try not to go all fake sugar/low fats/etc. Ya, those kind of things. Yes they can cut calories but in the end, REAL FOOD ingredients can turn out to be pretty satiating and semi – healthy. A small slice can deliver big taste! Didn’t see that coming now did you?
Real food ingredients that are full of flavor and healthy fats can definitely “take the cake” when it comes to gluten free desserts. Haha, pun intended.
So after 3 rounds of recipes testing. I found the perfect almond cake to share today. Almond cake as in.. that soft moist middle that looks like flour is really just ground almonds! Well that and a few other key ingredients that help enhance it.
Like Better Body Foods Extra Virgin Coconut oil, Organic Madagascar Vanilla, and Organic Coconut flour.
Side note –-> if you’ve never tried madagascar vanilla, you must. LIKE NOW! It’s amazing!
Oh and did I mention the icing? Yep, that’s just cream cheese, honey, cinnamon, and white chocolate. But it should come with a warning, because the frosting is addicting by itself. Just sayin…
But if you are looking for a dairy free frosting, have no fear.. I got you covered –> cashew cream cheese frosting. And it’s VEGAN!
Let’s not forget the topping on the topping. I grounded up a bit of maple grain free granola then sprinkled it on top of the frosting with a little powdered sugar. It’s all about the texture, ya know?
So you see, simple ingredients can really take a plain dessert and turn into a super moist decadent dessert/cake. And no one would ever know it’s grain free or semi-healthy! GASP!
A healthy holiday twist on the classic almond cake! Cinnamon Spiced almond cake with melted white chocolate and a cinnamon cream cheese topping.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1/4 cup egg white
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk
- 4 oz (1/2 stick) butter (softened)
- 1/3 cup melted white chocolate
- 1/2 cup crushed almonds (just grind a little in processor)
- 1 tsp madagascar vanilla (or pure vanilla)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 oz organic cream cheese
- 1/2 cup melted white chocolate
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp honey or agave nectar
- Chopped toasted nuts (optional)
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- First combine all your dry ingredients for the cake in a bowl. Sift coconut flour if it’s too thick. You want it fine and smooth.
- Next blend your pumpkin, eggs, and milk in blender. Set aside.
- If you haven’t already melted your white chocolate, do that as well. Make sure it comes out to 1/3 cup after melted.
- Fold in your pumpkin egg batter with the almond meal (dry ingredients bowls).
- Then add in your separate 1/2 c melted white chocolate and melted or softened butter.
- Mix together
- Add in your nuts and extracts, baking soda, plus cinnamon, salt.
- Mix or beat with electric blender until smooth.
- Pour into a 9 in round baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until center is done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, make icing.
- Softened the cream cheese and white chocolate.
- Mix together in a small bowl and then add in your extracts, cinnamon, coconut oil, honey.
- Spread evenly over cake.
- Top with optional nuts and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
I used better body foods coconut flour, coconut oil, and vanilla.
To make dairy free, feel free to use chocolate instead with enjoy life dairy free chocolate. Then use vegan cream cheese.
And speaking of real food and real ingredients. Let’s switch nuts for a second and talk about Taylor’s Paleo Pecan Bars. Yup, they are paleo. They are dessert. They look UNREAL GOOD! And knowing Taylor (and her recipes), they are going to taste OUT OF THIS WORLD GOOD. So head over there now and get the recipe! Mmm k?
Now if only, we could make this virtual Friendsgiving become an IN REAL LIFE FRIENDSGIVING! One thing is for sure, ALL of you would be invited! And we’d probably eat like KINGS if everyone brought their favorite dish or dessert.
Have you ever made a classic almond cake?
What dessert would you bring to Friendsgiving?
Stay tuned for Friday. I will invite you end the meal with a Hot Toddy (for health reason of course).
- Facebook Click here Cotter Crunch FB
- Pinterest– Cottercrunch
- Email- [email protected]
- Bloglovin-Cotter Crunch
This post is sponsored by my Better Body Foods Friends! Thankful they supply us with such healthy gluten free and organic products.