Just letting you know this Roasted Radish Lemony Chickpea Pasta recipe was originally shared in April on Social Media video only. Yes it took me 3 months to finally get it to the blog, with a few tweaks. OYE! But better late than never, right? Haha!
Guess what friends? We’re celebrating something to day. Okay I am celebrating something, but I want to include you. Cool? You see, 10 years ago I started my gluten free journey! Gasp! Yes, it’s been a decade already. I do not miss the early days of mushy pasta and rice cake. Thank goodness gluten free products have come a long way! Case and point, this chickpea pasta dish.
So cue the confetti, because today we here to commemorate the fact that gluten free EATING can be simple, 100% nutritious, fresh, and flavorful!
I’m bringing this Vegan Roasted Radish Lemony Chickpea Pasta to you today as proof in the pudding, errr uhh I mean pasta – non mushy GLUTEN FREE PASTA that is! For my friends who have been gluten free for as long as I have been, you will get that last one right? Wink, wink! (Ya’ll remember back in the day when every gluten free pasta was made from corn and melted in the pan, right? Ugh, a one pot mush pan. OMG I am glad those days are over! So yeah, there’s the backstory to that.
Moving on now…
As I was saying, gluten free products have come a loooong way. Take the vegan chickpea pasta in today’s recipe. I absolutely adore it! Not only is this chickpea pasta vegan, but it is also filling, high in plant-based Iron, B vitamins, and protein. No grains needed. Holla!
But we need more than just chickpea pasta to celebrate. Come on now, I am not gonna write a whole post just gluten free pasta. Nope.
Let’s talk about what makes this chickpea pasta dish shine!
One, the lemony herb marinade with olives, which I used in thisradish
Here’s what you need for the lemony herb Sauce: 🍋.
- Garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, sage or tarragon, honey mustard or regular mustard, spices, and onion.
And two, the roasted Radishes!
Now cue the confetti and nerdy nutrition talk.
- Did you know summer radishes are also a thing? Yes, watermelon radish, black radish, all kinds of radish! But don’t worry, regular red radishes are usually available year round at the grocery store. They just have a different look and slightly different taste, more sweet. Radishes (all kinds) are great to roast and add into a warm pasta dish or a cold pasta salad. Oh, and radishes aid in digestion and help protect the liver and gallbladder. Bam!
As if that wasn’t enough of healthy and delicious inspiration for this chickpea pasta recipe, let’s add a couple more, mmkay?
- Healthy fats from the olives (monounsaturated) and Vitamin C from the burst of lemon marinade. It’s ALL coming to the celebration! And when you add all of this goodness together it equals Superfood POWER!
See, a healthy plant based dish is simpler than you think! But don’t worry you can totally use lentil or paleo pasta too. If it floats your boat. Now, what are you waiting for? Let’s get in the kitchen and commence this celebration dinner!
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED RADISH LEMONY CHICKPEA PASTA: (1 Min video)Print
Gluten Free chickpea pasta with a zesty lemon herb sauce, Spanish olives, and roasted radishes! Vegan friendly.
For the Lemon Herb Sauce
- 1 to 2 tbsp fresh chopped herbs (sage or tarragon -without stems)
- 1 tsp grated lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp onion powder or 1/4 c chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 to 1/3 c olive oil (use closer to 1/3 cup if the marinade isn’t thin enough)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Ground Pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp paprika or smoked paprika optional
- 1 tbsp ground mustard or honey mustard.
For the Chickpea Pasta:
- 1 cup chopped red radish or summer radish
- 2 tsp olive oil for roasting
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces Lentil Chickpea pasta (or gluten free pasta of choice)
- water to boil and pinch of kosher salt for pot
- pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- 2 ounce Spanish olives (green)
- Sliced lemon and sage leaves to garnish
- Crushed black pepper to taste
- First. Make your lemon herb sauce. Blend everything together in a food processor blender. Place in bowl and set aside or in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Toss your chopped radish in oil, pinch of sea salt/pepper, and place on baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until radishes are lightly browned with crispy edges.
- While radishes are roasting, make your gluten free chickpea pasta. Cook pasta according to directions.
- Cook in a large pot of boiling, salted water for 5-7 minutes until pasta is al dente. Drain and rinse cold. Add the pasta back to the pot. Place pasta pot back on the stove on medium low.
- Mix in your lemon sage marinade and stir gently.
- Once radishes are done roasting, add them to your pasta, then mix in your olives.
- Place pasta in large serving bowl or individual bowls.
Garnish with lemon slices, fresh herbs, and sea salt/black pepper.
- Optional Mix ins and toppings (not vegan) – 1 tbsp yogurt to make extra creamy and grated parmesan. Serve hot or cold.
You can make this pasta ahead and store in fridge for up to 3 days. Serve hot or cold.
29% Daily Iron intake per serving – 5.3 mg
- Category: pasta
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 222 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 53
- Fiber: 11
- Protein: 21
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: pasta, vegan, gluten free, pasta salad, roasted vegetables, healthy, radish,
Tell me what your food victory is today! Big or small! What’s one thing you can celebrate. I’m corny, but here are ideas!
- Maybe you’ve started to make healthier choices, day by day! Celebrate it!
- Maybe you are meal prepping and your whole family is benefiting from it!
- Maybe you’ve cut back on sugar or processed foods or whatever and are feeling like a rockstar!
- Maybe you’re like me, and you want to celebrate the fact that REAL FOOD has helped you in your gluten free journey. And the fact that lentil chickpea pasta doesn’t turn to mush. Haha!
- Maybe you just are happy where you are with your diet. Balance. Enjoyment. Nourishment. SHARE IT!