Espresso coconut paleo muffins are a healthy dessert for coffee lovers! Light in texture with a decadent coffee and coconut taste. The healthy muffins recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients like ground almonds, coconut flour, coconut sugar, ground espresso, and egg whites. They taste like macaroons, but in muffins form!
Coconut Paleo Muffins…with coffee!
So…. truth be told I’ve been on coffee plus espresso kick. Why? Because this week needs all things caffeine times two! Haha. Actually, this week has been quite the opposite of last week. Remember how we were all about the summer comfort food and gluten free starches? Well, our nutrition took a complete 180 this week due to a little injury with my husband, hence the plethora of healthy fats and paleo recipes!
Come sit and have coffee with me. I will go all dorky on you and tell you why we’re limiting our grains this week, and then share this espresso coconut paleo muffins recipe. Deal?
Okay, so a few weeks ago my husband (aka the kiwi) fell off his mountain bike. Wasn’t anything big but he did end up with a few scratches and a sore bum. That sport is rocky, ya know? Haha. But as time passed, his back started aching a little more and then BAM —> he sneezed and a disk popped. Yep, that happened THIS WEEK. Poor guy.
So we changed things up in the Cotter Household. Lots of nourishing foods and grain free foods to reduce inflammation in the muscles/joints.
Why should we avoid grains?
Two words –> Phytic Acid.
What is Phytic Acid?
Wellness Mama had a great definition ->
“Grains contain Phytic Acid, a mineral blocker that prevents absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc. This phytic acid is found in the bran of all grains as well as the outer coating of seeds and nuts. Even after grains became more mainstream during the agricultural revolution, grains were allowed to sit in the fields for several weeks before thrashing. This allowed the grains to be exposed to the elements and to sprout. Evidence shows that sprouting increases the content of many important vitamins, and breaks down the phytic acid.”
Eliminating Grains for Gut Health
By reducing/eliminating grains we can maximize absorption in the gut. Sometimes improperly prepared grains can actually cause inflammation in the gut lining due to an enzyme we can’t break down. And if you’re body is already stressed, inflamed, or sick, then eliminating grains can speed up the healing process. Remember this post where I spoke about grain free perks? And this turmeric ginger lemonade recipe for chronic inflammation?
See, told you I was going talk DORKY. Need a refill on that coffee yet, or another muffin? Just kidding.. maybe.
But before I ramble on, how about we break for the recipe for the paleo muffins?
How to make Espresso Coconut Paleo MuffinsPrint
Espresso Coconut Paleo Muffins are a healthy dessert for coffee lovers! Espresso Coconut Muffins are light in texture with a decadent coffee and coconut taste. The muffins recipe is easy to make with simple ingredients.
- 3/4 cup egg whites (about 4 or 5 egg whites).
- 1/3 cup ground coffee or espresso
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1.5 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch (or tapioca,potato starch work too)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- dash of sea salt
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup naturally refined coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 ounces (2/3 cup) full fat coconut Milk (or cream)
- Optional coffee extract (1/2 tsp)
- Preheat oven to 350F. First whisk you eggs whites until fluffy. In another bowl, sift your dry ingredients (sugar, flours, baking powder, salt, etc) together and mix. In another bowl mix your oil, cream, and extracts and mix all together. Combine your wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Fold in your egg whites to the dry ingredients. Gently fold in your shredded coconut.
- Stir again until combined, not overmixing.
- Pour into greased medium or large muffin cups about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until center comes out clean with toothpick
- Remove from oven and Let cool on cooling rack.
- Tip – If the batter is too thick, depending on how fine your almond flour is, then blend batter in the blender and add a few more tbsp of cream or water until batter is smooth.
If you don’t feel like buying separate ingredients, I would check out simple mills paleo cake mix! So good!
- Category: breakfast, dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: paleo muffins, coffee, grain free, healthy snack, dairy free, breakfast muffins
Reducing Grains to Heal Inflammation
As mentioned in previous posts, we temporarily remove or reduce grains for a reason. This week, it just so happens to be about HEALING an injury.
All these foods support joint health and/or reduce inflammation with anti-inflammatory properties. Okay maybe not the 2 cups of coffee that I’m drinking with these paleo muffins, but we’ll make it decaf and cut back later this week, promise! Yes, this inflammation is going to be kicked to the curb with food as our medicine!
Many people think baking grain free is difficult, and it can be if you don’t really know what grain free flours go with what.
Luckily, I’ve made the espresso coconut paleo muffins recipe UBER easy, and you can even switch out the flavors for whenever you’d like.
But if you’re a coffee and macaroon lover like me, you’re not going to want to. In fact, you’ll just become more obsessed with this flavor! haha. Enjoy!
That being said, EVERYBODY works and heals differently. It’s just a matter of figuring out what’s best for your own and how to use food as fuel, as nourishment, as medicine. Would you agree?
Coffee talk complete! What’s going on with you this week?