Shamrock shake protein bites are a fun and healthy St. Patrick’s Day treat! Snack healthy with this Vanilla Matcha Shamrock Shake protein bites recipe. They’re packed with antioxidants, good fats, and protein. Oh, and they’re a gluten-free, grain free and paleo-friendly recipe, too!
Well hello March! You sure did sneak up on me and so did St. Patrick’s day. Luckily (no pun intended), I was prepared. You see, before I left for New Zealand, I made these no bake protein bites. I also devoured them all by myself, no shame here folks.
But what I didn’t realize is how much I needed the green ingredient in these bites to help with time change/jet lag. Yup –> Matcha! It’s everywhere. It’s the new trend, as it should be. This little gem of an antioxidant does wonders.
Let’s chat about matcha, shall we?
- Matcha Green Tea is steamed, stemmed, and de-vined before being grounding into a soft fine GREEN powder.
- How does it stay green? –> The powder is stored away from light ( and oxygen) which helps preserve it’s antioxidant properties and colors.
- But why the hype? Well, this super food has loads of antioxidants as well as an amino acid called L- THEANINE . L-Theanine can help with the production of dopamine and serotonin and therefore help balance sleep/wake cycles, naturally. Oh and these two chemicals can also improve mood and concentration. YES, I NEED THAT!
L-Theanine, for the most part, is a relaxing but not sedating amino acid that is synergistic with stimulants such as caffeine as it can ‘take the edge off’. It is effective by itself in the standard supplemental dosages as well, and although it can be attained via a diet high in green tea ingestion that is the only dietary source of L-Theanine source
Now do you see why I made this grain free shamrock shake protein bites recipe?
Grain Free Shamrock Shake Protein Bites
- 1 cup coconut or almond flour
- 1/2 cup banana chips
- 1/4 Vanilla Protein of choice
- 1/3 -1/2 cup nut butter of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp mint or spearmint extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2-3 tbsp matcha powder in mix and to coat
- First, grind up your banana chips. Then just mix up dry ingredients and add in nut butter, extract, and honey. Mix well, then roll into balls/bites. Freeze right away then use extra green matcha Powder and a little bit of vanilla protein or coconut flour to coat. Store in fridge or freezer to maintain freshness. Makes around 30 -25 bites, give or take.
- NOTE –> if your batter is dry, you might need to add more honey and/or nut butter to keep batter from being to dry.
Feel free to sub the ground banana chips for ground nuts, almonds, oats, flour, etc.
© Cotter Crunch All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use any text or images without prior permission.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know if you try this recipe! I'd love to see it and share it!" Tag me on IG @cottercrunchor hashtag #cottercrunch
Have you ever had a shamrock shake? Ever tried matcha?
Cheers and don’t forget to wear your green next week!