Learning how to make hemp milk and nut milk recipes at home is easy, and we’ll show you how to do it. These dairy free milk drinks are SO good and can be made sweet or unsweetened. Plus, we’ll show you how to add flavorings for dairy free, kid-friendly drinks!
Next up on our HOW TO SERIES (HOMEMADE EDITION)....
How to make Nut and SEED MILK!
Do you know that the almond milk or cashew milk you’re drinking might have unwanted sugar and artificial ingredients in it? It may be dairy free, but that doesn’t mean that it’s 100 percent healthy or all natural!
Because of this, learning how to make nut milk is becoming a priority for some people. And because I know that some of you may need a nut free and dairy free drink, I also want to show you how to make hemp milk at home. It’s really easy to do, and it’s fun, too!
By making your own dairy free milk at home, you can avoid added sugars, additives, and thickeners that add to stomach distress. Plus, you can add flavoring to the milk!
If you grew up drinking strawberry milk or chocolate milk, I can help you recreate those childhood memories, but you’ll have a healthier version of flavored milk!
How to make hemp milk and nut milk
Because it’s a more popular option, we’ll start by making homemade nut milk.
You can use the same method to make any type of nut milk or seed milk that you want.
All you’ll need are the following ingredients:
- raw nuts of your choice (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, etc.)
- filtered or purified water – If possible, avoid using water straight from the tap. It has chlorine, rust, and impurities in it that can alter the taste of the milk.
- sea salt
- optional sweetener – You can use any type of sweetener you like. I use maple syrup, but honey, agave syrup, or monk fruit sweetener all work well too.
- optional flavoring – I like to add a tiny bit of vanilla extract, but there are plenty of other flavoring options too. Scroll down for some ideas!
HEMP MILK INGREDIENTS
You’ll need the same ingredients to make hemp milk. The only difference is that you’ll use hemp seed or hemp hearts rather than raw nuts.
For a creamier consistency, use 1 part hemp seed to 3 parts filtered water.
DAIRY FREE MILK FLAVOR IDEAS
There are plenty of ways to add flavor to your homemade milk, and because they involve using all-natural ingredients, they are healthy options, too. Your kids will love these flavor ideas!
- banana slices
- fresh blueberries
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- fresh strawberries
- nut butter or coconut butter – using a creamy spread will give the milk a creamier texture
- flavor extracts (vanilla, mint, almond, etc.)
Hemp and nut milk recipes
There are three simple steps involved… soak the nuts, blend them with water, and strain the milk to remove the pulp. That’s it!
1. SOAK THE RAW NUTS.
You’ll want to soak the nuts in a bowl of filtered water for at least 12 hours, and up to 24 hours. There are a couple of reasons for this.
First of all, using soaked nuts will give the milk a creamier texture. This makes it the perfect consistency to use as a creamer in bulletproof coffee latte, tea, or to use in things like overnight oats.
The other reason to soak the nuts is because it will break down the phytic acid. Phytic acid is a natural substance found in nuts and some seeds that can inhibit iron absorption and prevent proper digestion.
So, for good GUT HEALTH, it’s important to break down the acid.
NOTE: It is not necessary to soak hemp seeds before making hemp milk.
After soaking the nuts, you’ll drain off the water and place the nuts into your blender with the filtered water.
3. STRAIN AND ADD FLAVORING (if desired).
Once everything is well blended, place a fine mesh strainer or double layer of cheesecloth over a large bowl. Strain the milk through it to remove any pulp.
After straining it, you can refrigerate it as-is, or add any sweeteners or flavorings that you want.
Personally, I like to separate the milk into a few different mason jars. This way, I can leave some of it unsweetened and sweeten and/or flavor others.
NOTE – Hemp milk DOES NOT need to be strained, that being said, if you’re still finding seeds in the blended milk, then you can strain through a small tightly knit mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
All of the milk (regardless of whether it is hemp milk or nut milk) must be kept in a refrigerator. It will keep well for up to 5 days.Print
Learn how to make hemp milk and nut milk recipes at home so you can control the sugar and flavor. These dairy free milk drinks are SO good and can be made sweet or unsweetened.
- 1 cup raw nuts (cashew, walnut, almond, pecan), soaked at room temp for 12 hours or up to 24 hours for creamier texture! If you’re making this in the summer, cover soaked nuts and place in the fridge overnight.
- 4 cups purified water
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, agave nectar, or raw honey (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
For hemp milk
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seed or hemp seed hearts
- 3 cups purified water – For a creamier consistency, use 1 part hemp seed to 3 parts water
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional sweetener of choice – 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup, monk fruit sweetener, etc.
Flavor options (mix-ins)
- 1/2 frozen banana, sliced
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup fresh berries
2 tbsp coconut butter or nut butter of choice (makes it extra creamy)
How to make nut milk
- Drain soaked nuts and discard the soaking liquid. Place nuts and purified water in a blender and blend on high speed for 1 minute.The nuts should be broken down into a very fine meal.
- Add sweetener of choice (if using) and salt, then blend again until combined.
- Use a fine-mesh nut bag or double layer of cheesecloth to strain the milk from the pulp. Place layered cheesecloth in a colander set inside of a large bowl. Press down on solids and discard any nut pulp. Thin the milk with water as necessary to reach desired consistency.
- After you strain the milk, divide the milk into several mason jars. Then pick a few to add sweetener and flavoring to.This way, you have sweetened and unsweetened versions.
Cover the jars with lids and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to make hemp milk
- Add all ingredients to a high power blender and blend for 2 minutes or until smooth. The hemp seeds should blend into the milk.
After blending, you can store the milk as-is in a glass jar in the fridge for up to five days.
- You also have the option of straining the milk to remove any excess seeds. Simply pour the hemp milk through a layer of cheesecloth, a nut milk bag, or a fine mesh strainer for a smoother and more refined milky texture.
Nutrition below is a “rough estimate” for unsweetened almond milk. It depends on how much nut pulp is left in cheesecloth versus mixed with water.
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
Keywords: how to make hemp milk, how to make nut milk
Alright my friends, time to get nutty! Let me know if you try making your own nut or seed milk! And as always, feel free to email or comment below if you have questions. Mwah!