Learn how to make hemp milk and nut milk recipes at home so you can control the sugar and flavor. These dairy free milk drinks are SO good and can be made sweet or unsweetened.
- 1 cup raw nuts (cashew, walnut, almond, pecan), soaked at room temp for 12 hours or up to 24 hours for creamier texture! If you’re making this in the summer, cover soaked nuts and place in the fridge overnight.
- 4 cups purified water
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, agave nectar, or raw honey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
For hemp milk
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seed or hemp seed hearts
- 3 cups purified water – For a creamier consistency, use 1 part hemp seed to 3 parts water
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional sweetener of choice – 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup, monk fruit sweetener, etc.
Flavor options (mix-ins)
- 1/2 frozen banana, sliced 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder 1/3 cup fresh berries 2 Tablespoons coconut butter or nut butter of choice (makes it extra creamy)
How to make nut milk
- Drain soaked nuts and discard the soaking liquid. Place nuts and purified water in a blender and blend on high speed for 1 minute.The nuts should be broken down into a very fine meal.
- Add sweetener of choice (if using) and salt, then blend again until combined.
- Use a fine-mesh nut bag or double layer of cheesecloth to strain the milk from the pulp. Place layered cheesecloth in a colander set inside of a large bowl. Press down on solids and discard any nut pulp. Thin the milk with water as necessary to reach desired consistency.
- After you strain the milk, divide the milk into several mason jars. Then pick a few to add sweetener and flavoring to.This way, you have sweetened and unsweetened versions.
Cover the jars with lids and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to make hemp milk
- Add all ingredients to a high power blender and blend for 2 minutes or until smooth. The hemp seeds should blend into the milk.
After blending, you can store the milk as-is in a glass jar in the fridge for up to five days.
- You also have the option of straining the milk to remove any excess seeds. Simply pour the hemp milk through a layer of cheesecloth, a nut milk bag, or a fine mesh strainer for a smoother and more refined milky texture.
Nutrition below is a “rough estimate” for unsweetened almond milk. It depends on how much nut pulp is left in cheesecloth versus mixed with water.
- Prep Time: 12 hours 15 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Calories: 44
- Sugar: 0.4 g
- Sodium: 82.3 mg
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.7 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: how to make hemp milk, how to make nut milk