This high-protein Grilled Ground Chicken Burger Recipe is made with simple, gluten-free ingredients, zesty spices, and fresh herbs. Cooked on the grill or in the air fryer, they’re quick, juicy, and guaranteed to become your new favorite recipe. Serve them on gluten-free buns or lettuce wraps with all the best fixings for a chicken sandwich that can’t be beat!
Move Over Beef! There’s a New Burger in Town
Don’t get us wrong. We love a good beef burger. However, lately, we’ve been making this easy grilled ground chicken recipe on repeat! Created with budget-friendly ingredients, these chicken patties are bursting with flavor and nutrients and are great to prepare in advance. Loaded up with all your favorite toppings, they require minimal prep time and have a total time of under 30 minutes for a delicious meal that tastes like it came from a restaurant but is easy to make at home and is perfect for weeknight dinners, BBQs, and holiday parties.
Is This Chicken Burger Recipe Good for You?
Yes! Of course, if you have any specific concerns, please consult your doctor. However, generally speaking, this grilled chicken burger recipe is a nutritious option. Naturally gluten-free, nut-free, and dairy-free, it’s high-protein, low-fat, and packed with anti-inflammatory fresh herbs and spices.
What Are Chicken Burgers Made Of?
Just a handful of simple ingredients combine to create the best gluten-free chicken burger patties. No bread crumbs needed! Here’s what we used:
- Ground Chicken Breast – You can usually find pre-made ground chicken in the poultry section of your local grocery store. Or, make your own by grinding boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a food processor until no chunks remain.
- Tomato Paste – This adds a warm, rich flavor throughout the patties along with extra moisture to help them hold together.
- Gluten-Free Flour – We use a gluten-free all-purpose flour, but you could also use 2 tablespoons of almond flour and a tablespoon of gluten free oat flour to make your own flour blend.
- Herbs and Spices – Garlic powder, dried oregano, paprika, cumin, onion powder, kosher salt, black pepper, and fresh parsley create a warm, savory flavor with lots of depth. We also love to add chili powder for a touch of heat, but it’s optional.
Ingredient Swap: If you don’t have onion powder on hand, minced onion can be used instead.
- Hot Sauce – This is also optional but highly recommended for extra warmth without being too spicy. Any hot sauce you like best will work great!
How to Make the Best Grilled Chicken Burger Recipe
This chicken burger recipe comes together easily and cooks in minutes for a quick meal when hanger strikes.
- Combine the Ingredients. Add all of the ingredients for the chicken patties to a medium bowl, and use spoons or your hands to combine the mixture evenly.
- Form the Patties. Divide the mixture into 4 or 6 equal-sized balls, and portion them into discs roughly 1 inch thick. Set them aside on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cook. Preheat the grill, or place a grill pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Grease the grill grate or pan, and cook the chicken burgers on each side until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rest. Remove the patties from the grill, and set them aside on a plate for at least 5 minutes to redistribute the juices before serving.
Alternative Air Fryer Option
If you love air fryer recipes as much as we do, you’ll be happy to know this chicken burger works in the air fryer as well!
- Prepare the burgers according to the instructions in the recipe card below.
- Preheat the air fryer, and cook the burgers until their internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, flipping them over halfway through.
- Rest the patties for at least 5 minutes, and enjoy!
Enjoy this quick grilled chicken burger recipe any way you would serve traditional beef burgers! For instance, we love to serve them in gluten-free Brioche buns or lettuce wraps for fewer carbohydrates and top them with options like:
- Sauces (adobo sauce, regular bbq sauce, honey bbq sauce, guacamole, chipotle mayo, garlic aioli, Dijon mustard, or Ranch)
- Slices of cheese like Pepperjack, or sharp Cheddar cheese (dairy-free, if needed)
- Vegetables such as yellow or red onion, avocado, lettuce, or shredded cabbage
Common Questions About This Ground Chicken Burger Recipe
To qualify as a burger, meat must be shaped into the form of a patty, meaning this chicken burger recipe qualifies!
Yes, to prepare in advance, combine the ingredients. Then, cover the chicken mixture, or transfer it to an airtight storage container, and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Then, let it come to room temperature before shaping and cooking the patties.
Yes, freeze leftover chicken burgers cooked or raw for up to 3 months. To do so, place pieces of parchment paper or wax paper between each patty to prevent them from sticking together before transferring them to a freezer-safe bag or container.
It’s rare to have any, but if you do leftover chicken burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
We haven’t tested this recipe in the oven, but it should work! Just keep a close eye on the burgers, and adjust the cook time as needed until they’re fully cooked.
More Gluten-Free Burger Recipes
More of Our Favorite
Gluten Free Burger Recipes
If you enjoy this grilled ground chicken recipe, try out more of our favorite gluten-free burgers below!
Do you have questions, feedback, or tips about this recipe? Leave a comment below with any questions or feedback you’d like to share!