My gluten free pho ga is an Asian chicken soup with rice noodles and homemade broth. Make this quick chicken pho recipe for dinner tonight!
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 inch whole ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 whole star anise, or 2 teaspoons anise seeds
- 1 teaspoons fennel seed (see notes)
- 1 pound chicken skinless thighs or breast (see notes)
- 6 cups (1 ¼ quarts) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ cup cilantro, about one small bunch
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons cane sugar, or maple syrup (optional)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 10 oz (250 grams) gluten-free flat rice noodles
- Sliced jalapeño, or red chiles
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- Sliced green onion
- Fresh torn cilantro and/or thai basil
- Lime (fresh squeezed)
- Char and toast aromatics: Place sliced onion and ginger cut-side-down into a large soup pot and char on high heat until onions are slightly blackened and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes (turning onions once to brown on both sides). Add the peppercorn, star anise, and fennel seed to the pot and toast on medium with the onion and ginger until fragrant, around 1-2 minutes more.
- Cook the chicken in broth: Place chicken, water, broth, cinnamon stick, and cilantro in the pot. Bring broth to a quick boil then cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken (internal temperature should be at least 160F). Set aside.
- Season the pho broth: Strain broth or use a slotted spoon to remove the solids from the onion, ginger, star anise, pepper, and cilantro. Add the fish sauce, gluten-free soy sauce (tamari), and sugar to broth. Keep at a gentle simmer for an additional 15- 20 minutes to allow pho to become seasoned, then taste and add kosher salt as needed.
- Shred the chicken and prepare the rice noodles: While broth is simmering, prepare the noodles according to package directions. Once cooled, use the tongs of a fork to shred the chicken and set aside.
- Assemble the pho bowl: Place cooked rice noodles into a large soup bowl and top shredded chicken. Add a few ladles of broth into the bowl and top with mung beans, fresh herbs, sliced green onions, sliced peppers, and a squeeze of lime.
Don’t have fennel seed? If you don’t have fennel seed, omit or use coriander seed.
Remove the scum: If you are using chicken with skin on, be sure to remove scum on the top of the broth after cooking the chicken (scum is the fat from the chicken that is released when cooking).
Don’t have Thai basil? Feel free to use regular basil or fresh mint (or all three!).
Use store-bought chicken: Make this recipe faster by using pre-cooked store bought chicken. Simply shred and warm the chicken before adding it to the bowl.
Cooking tip: Charing/toasting the onion and spices first really helps to bring out bold flavors and makes for a tastier broth, so don’t skip this step even if you’re not making the entire broth from scratch.
Substitutions: Substitute the chicken for shrimp or make it vegetarian by using mushrooms. We tried both versions when recipe testing and they were delicious!
- Category: Soups
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Vietnamese-inspired
Keywords: gluten free pho, pho ga, chicken pho