This veggie lovers gluten free flatbread pizza recipe will forever change your pizza night routine! Making a gluten free pizza can be simple and delicious – all you need are a few ingredients. You can make your own gluten free flatbread with one of my recipes, or use a pre-made gluten free pizza crust to create a thin yet crispy crust! Lightly bake it first, then load up all your favorite veggies and protein of choice. It’s simple, effortless, and ready in 15 minutes.
Hey all! Celiac Awareness Month (May) continues with another one of my FAVORITE go-to gluten free recipes. One of the questions I get asked a lot is how to make gluten free eating stress-free. I know, it’s sound easy, right? And it is if you’ve been doing for a while. But when you’re just starting off on a gluten free diet and trying to feed your whole family, stay sane, etc., it can be overwhelming! The last thing you want to worry about is what to make for dinner.
I get it. I used to over-complicate gluten free meals, which resulted in me feeling defeated. I honestly thought my life would result in eating rice cakes and smoothies. Haha. Thank goodness gluten free and grain free eating has come along way!
So allow me, your gluten free “sherpa guide” to share one of my GLUTEN FREE must-have recipes. And it all begins with the base. The bread. Basic gluten free flatbread! Egg free option. Paleo option. Vegan option. And a quick grab and go option.
What is Flatbread and Can it Be Made Gluten Free?
Flatbread is basically unleavened bread made with flour, water, salt, and unleavened yeast. Flatbread dough is usually rolled out a bit thinner, which makes for a crispier crust than that of regular pizza crust dough. For a busy family, this difference can help get dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes.
And guess what? It’s super easy to make gluten free and grain free.
Here are some of my favorite gluten free flatbread recipes that would be great to use with this veggie loaded pizza!
- Grain Free Naan Flatbread (vegan, paleo)
- Socca flatbread (grain free, vegan) (3 versions)
- Chickpea Pancakes
- Or if you need a good pizza dough recipe, try this vegan bread recipe. Just skip the steps on letting the dough rise. All you need to do is roll it out onto a pizza pan and bake!
Need a quick ready-made Gluten Free Flatbread?
I got you covered! A few of my favorite thin crust gluten free flatbread brands you can buy at your local grocer.
- O’dough Gluten Free flatbread
- Cauliflower flatbread or Green Giant cauliflower pizza crust
- Thin Crust pizza from Udis or Three Bakers Gluten Free breads
Is flatbread healthier than regular bread?
Well, I think so! Flatbreads tend to have more fresh light toppings! Which is why I made this flatbread pizza with extra veggies and no tomato sauce. All fresh tomatoes!
Here’s what you need!
Ingredients to make this Veggie Gluten free Flatbread Pizza
- Flatbread of choice (see above)
- Fresh tomatoes (all kinds!)
- Olive oil
- Feta (or dairy free cheese option)
This Veggie lovers flatbread pizza recipe will forever change your pizza night routine! Making a gluten free pizza can be simple and delicious – all you need are the right ingredients. It’s simple, effortless, and ready in 15 minutes.
- 10–12 inch gluten free thin crust pizza or flatbread (feel free to use my paleo naan bread or socca recipe here too)
- Olive oil to sauté and to drizzle
- 1/2 cup sliced red onions
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup torn basil or herbs of choice
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup fresh diced tomatoes or canned tomatoes (drained)
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sliced yellow squash (or other veggie of choice)
- Shredded leafy greens of choice (arugula, spinach, etc)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta or goat cheese (feel free to sub vegan cheese here too!)
- Cracked black pepper
- Dash sea salt
- Optional crushed red pepper chili flakes to top
- Optional protein add-ons: 6 oz cooked diced protein of choice (beef or chicken, tempeh, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place your flatbread in the oven and lightly toast (dried) for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add a few tsp of olive oil to a pan and sauté your onions and garlic until tender and fragrant; about 2 minutes.
- Build your pizza! Mix your diced tomatoes with your torn herbs and spread evenly on the flatbread. Place the sauteed onion and garlic on top.
- Layer your vegetables on top starting with sliced zucchini, yellow squash, etc. Finish topping with the shredded greens, goat cheese, seasoning, and fresh herbs.
- Place in oven on center rack until edges are crispy and cheese is melted; about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove and top with cracked black pepper, dash of sea salt, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Optional crushed red pepper chili flakes to top.
- Feel free to add in extra herbs on top or cooked diced protein when you add your cheese. You can add your shredded salad last with the cilantro if you rather have the ingredients more crisp!
- Don’t have fresh tomatoes? No problem! You can use a no sugar added tomato sauce.
- Spicy option – add a splash of your favorite spicy red sauce or jalapenos on top.
- Nutrition below based on gluten free flatbread (1/3 of pizza)
- Category: main
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pizza, flatbread, vegetarian, healthy, gluten free, vegetables, dinner
Let’s end with more ideas to fill your gluten free recipe bucket!
Other toppings for this flatbread pizza!
- Add egg on top!
- Make into a dessert pizza with coconut whip frosting.
- Make a deconstructed pizza bowl or pizza salad!
Alright my friends, I hope this recipe helps you feel at ease when it comes to eating gluten free! Sometimes you just need a good base recipe and you can go from there! Ya know?
What’s your go-to gluten free meal?
Let me know!