This dairy free Boston Cream Pie Banana Oatmeal is a gluten free “superfood” breakfast treat! A banana oatmeal recipe that tastes like dessert, yet satisfying and nourishing! Made with natural ingredients and a boost of protein. Perfect for post workout recovery, hearty breakfast, or pure bliss ya’ll!
You Bawston. I say BOSTON. You say Banana. I say BAH-NAMA! Let’s call the whole thing off because together we say —> “I WANT this Dairy Free Boston Cream Pie Banana Oatmeal!
That made you smile, didn’t it? Okay, moving on because it’s Flashback BREAKFAST Friday! Confused? Not to worry, I will explain. You see, this Boston Cream Pie Banana Oatmeal is actually another recipe that I’m updating. New pictures were needed and new version. Ya’ll, I have soooo many! The thing is, I’m really enjoying flashing back to my journey as a recipe developer…err… nutritionist…. err food blogger.. and so on and so on. It makes us appreciate the journey. Really, looking back at recipes (the ones that are hit and the ones that are a miss) helps you SEE how your BRAND has transformed. Heck, how you’ve transformed! Right? Just nod your head and agree. Mmm k?
Anyway, about this NEW and IMPROVED Boston Cream Pie Banana Oatmeal. It’s gluten free (always) but now dairy free and with a little “electrolyte” power. Magnesium and Potassium rich banana and creamy coconut! WOO!
My first Boston Cream Pie Oatmeal recipe was posted dedicated to all those runners running the Boston Marathon. In fact, it was their Motivation to run then refuel with protein and carbs in the form of this “dessert” oatmeal. I know, I’m so clever!
Well, we are going to keep that theme going today. Dessert for breakfast, “healthified,” nourishing, superfood powers, and just plain tasty! I should also mention that this banana oatmeal is was made for the kiwi (my husband). He LOVES anything custard like. And he has never tried Boston Cream Pie. I did my best to create a coconut milk “custard” filling with dark chocolate topping. Ha, it’s no pie but it’s about as close I will get to making one. For now at least. Don’t hold me to it.
So can a dessert themed breakfast be considered superfood? You know I will go the extra mile just to explain my reasoning. Here goes!
- Banana– We all know banana’s are good for you and rich in potassium/magnesium. BUT… they also can help boost your mood. Banana’s contain an amino acid called tryptophan, which enables in the production/balance of serotonin. Serotonin is the happy hormone –-> A good way to reduce stress. YAY!
- Gluten Free Oats – Great source of fiber. A lot of people with gluten free sensitivity can handle oats if soaked overnight or certified gluten free. Better digestion, carbs to refuel, low sugar, YUM!
- Coconut Cream and Coconut Yogurt topping – A healthy does of MCT’s (medium chain triglycerides) for energy. Minerals to replenish the body’s electrolytes!
- Cocoa and dark chocolate/cacao nibs – SUPER FOOD for sure! Rich in antioxidants and iron!
- Egg yolks and Egg Whites– a Complete Protein (meaning is has all the essential amino acids needed for the body) and it’s rich in the essential micronutrient choline. I spoke about choline before, but let’s discuss something different about choline this time. Like how it’s supports liver function, brain function, and muscle movement. All crucial part of keeping the body in homeostasis. Plus the brain is a muscle that definitely needs more nourishment and energy, right? AMEN!
OKay okay, yes it’s dessert for breakfast, but if you want a REAL CREAM PIE dessert, I suggest you check out this Coconut Cream Pie (Allergy friendly, Vegan) by Allergylicious!Print
[Tweet “A Superfood dessert breakfast! #Dairyfree Bostom Cream Pie Banana Oatmeal! #glutenfree “]
If you could eat any pie in breakfast form, what would you make?
Have you ever made Boston Cream pie? Share your recipe!
Maybe I will try a gluten free/low carb Boston Cream Pie version soon! Haha, maybe. Don’t hold your breath though.